Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Tuesday, March 30, 2004

"Cheese-eating surrender monkeys"

I know this shouldn't offend me, but it does.

Can we get over it yet? During the height of the anti-French crap, I had more than one occasion where someone would tell me, in ever-so-knowing tones, that the French are everything from mere cowards to genetic defects. And I would point out my last name and wait for the apology, but people who know so very much about the French never seem to realize my name is French until it is spelled out for them.
I'm not claiming I'm a victim of racism or anything like that, but I think it's sort of telling that in the cluster-fuck to pick on the French, people seem to forget that lots of Americans are at least partially French. For all the talk of the melting pot, there's still a sense that "true" Americans are not only white, but Anglo. As in English. I don't think I'm particularly paranoid at all about this--I've seen people as diverse as Garry Trudeau and Camille Pagilia express this. And certainly the huge Irish population of Boston still has a beef with this attitude.

*By the way, I laughed my ass off when they made the "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" joke on The Simpsons. But if you honestly think that they were confirming your negative views of the French instead of just making a very silly joke, I think you might do better with easier-to-understand television programs.