Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Saturday, June 19, 2004

Juneteenth

Today is Juneteenth, which is a big deal here, but seems to go unnoticed in alot of the country. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) It's the day that the slaves in Texas officially got word that they were free, 2+ years after the Emancipation Proclamation.
I don't have a whole lot to say on the subject, just thought I'd draw attention to the day, a good time to reflect on our nation's shameful history but also to reflect in awe at the resilence and striving side of human nature.
Of course, since I can't be anything but a downer, what's up with this? Not that there's a film festival. That's awesome; I've been to film festivals in Dallas and Austin and I must say that the food is better in Dallas, but the beer and people are better in Austin. No, why do they feel the need to put the word Juneteenth in quote marks? Juneteenth is a state holiday; that's not up for dispute. So why the scare quotes?

Link via P6.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home