Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Friday, October 01, 2004

Leashes

Okay, a number of people think the leash comment from the debate was out of line. I barely noticed it. Now I realize that it was not taken for what it was at least intended to be, which was a self-deprecating joke and not serious. That "leash" comment is a really, really common type of joke in this part of the country.

In a fucked-up way, it's supposed to be a compliment. People talk of their spouses and children like this all the time and it's not taken seriously. In fact, the insult-to-express-loving-bemusement is something I employ a few posts below when I jokingly pretend that my boyfriend, and not me, is the one who has bad taste in music. Unfolded, it means that I am the one with bad taste in music, but because I am embarrassed to say so, I am pretending that my boyfriend is but no one takes me seriously because they trust that I would never actually insult a loved one like that. In summary, it means that I not only have bad taste but I don't even have the guts to say so. Self-deprecating humor. (There's a whole 'nother level of meaning to self-deprecating humor, but I won't get into that.)

Told properly, his comment would have meant that while he knows that everyone expects him to rein his daughters in, he wouldn't even if he could because he admires their spirit. But of course, he didn't tell the damn joke properly--the proper stance when a man is saying this about his daughters is to beam with a pride that belies his pride in them. Bush said it like he means it. This is exactly why he's an embarrassment to Texas--on top of being evil, he doesn't even get our damn jokes right.

And yes, the whole premise of the joke--that daughters need to be firmly controlled--is flawed. But all in all, it's not as bad as it could be, because the joke itself is daughters are not controllable and that's a good thing. Too bad for Bush, his actual feelings--that uncontrollable women are a bad thing--came out as he flubbed the joke. You could tell he realized he was screwing it up as it came out, too, because he was telling the joke to a man whose wife he has publically criticized for being uncontrollable. The context was wrong, but mostly Bush himself is wrong. He just doesn't have the good nature to say things like that, even though he can fake it for entire 5 second clips at a time sometimes.

But still, it went past me mostly except that I thought, he isn't as funny as he thinks. Saying really nasty things with the proper twinkle that lets your audience know that those things are an elaborate self-deprecating joke is an art that a bully like him just can't master.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rove and the campaign "handlers" were undoubtedly wishing they could get their boss on a leash. I can't imagine they are very happy when W has to speak extemporaneously.

NancyP

10/01/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, putting feminist reactions aside (tho I think they are legitimate), as many others have pointed out: no man who presided over the Abu Ghraib atrocities should be joking about putting anyone on a leash.

-Medley
http://uncorked.org/medley/

10/01/2004

 
Blogger Amanda Marcotte said...

I hate to defend him, I truly do. But it's just an expression, and a really common one. I don't know if it's a Texas thing, but saying that someone is on a long leash, short leash, no leash, whatever--it's the prevailing metaphor when talking about exerting control inside a family. Most commonly, it's used with spouses--she has a long leash on him, he has a short leash on her--but you'll generally hear it used on children who are teenagers or older.

10/01/2004

 
Blogger Elayne said...

"But of course, he didn't tell the damn joke properly..." Well see, that's just it for me, isn't it? It's like Letterman's writers nailed it, day after day he tells a "joke that's not really a joke." He's utterly lacking in proper diplomatic and social skills, in a job where that sort of thing ought to be important. That's what galls me most of all.

10/01/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In case I'm one of the "number of people," I was just saying I thought Andrew Sullivan's comment was clever. Sully may not be particularly honest, and he may have been too receptive to racist propoganda like The Bell Curve when he was editing TNR, but he can write a good line with the best of them, IMHO.

What really bugs me, though, is not the relation of the leash line to Abu Ghraib. It's that these fuckers haven't learned the least bit of humility from the whole affair, as the recent extraordinary rendition segments of the counterterrorism bill demonstrate. One gets the impression that the only problem they see with the whole Abu Ghraib thing was that the American people weren't sufficiently prepared for the means necessary to bestow Democracy upon the Iraqis.

Julian Elson

10/02/2004

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home