Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Thursday, November 25, 2004

Time to thank those who sing my life

Taking on female musician blogging defeated me not because I couldn't think of a gazillion female musicians I love (I can), but more because my back was broken trying to think of cool stuff to say other than I like _____ because she is cool. Also, as my friend Chris pointed out, most real music fans obsess over one instrument and it fucks with their ability to think objectively of those who play other instruments.

He's right. I'm a sucker for singers. And it ruined my ability to be objective. But it sharpened my ability to see talent where others miss it. Weirdly, my obsession with singing has turned my boyfriend and a couple friends onto jazz and Motown--I liked the singing, I showed them the instrumentation.

Anyway, I like a lot more female singers than male singers. But here's a list of some of my favorite performances, male and female, of all time, on the microphone. Just cause. Since this list runs into the thousands of performances I adore, I imagine I will revisit it.

*Billie Holiday "Strange Fruit".--Not much to say. Tricky's remix of it blew. The rest of that album is awesome.

*Freddie Mercury "Under Pressure"--I fall to pieces every time he starts to plead for one more chance.

*Nina Simone "See-Line Woman"--She makes me feel like a natural woman.

*Aretha Franklin "Think"--This song makes me spaz and think that better things are possible.

*Debbie Harry "One Way or Another"--Blondie is one of my favorite punk bands because they truly don't give a fuck. They play what they like. Call them sell-outs. Watch them not care. Feel like you're way too invested in the corporate hegemony for caring at all. It's okay. You'll be okay.

*Kathleen Hanna "Rebel Girl"--Kathleen Hanna has poured on beautifully since her days with Bikini Kill, and this is pitch perfect punk anger.

*Cindy Wilson "Dance This Mess Around"--Cindy was probably the least musically inclined of the B-52s, but she turned in one of the most moving singing performances I've ever heard.

*Rosie Gaines "Nothing Compares 2 U"--It's a live performance you get from the greatest hits of Prince. It is the definitive version of the song. Sinead has a good voice, but she is a mere pretender to the throne.

*David Bowie "Heroes"--Great singer, great song. Nothing to say here.

*Morrissey "This Charming Man"--To this day, anyone who tells me that Morrissey is just a whining Brit, I refer them to this song and ask them to remind me again why they don't pay attention. Of course, his stuff with The Smiths was better, but so?

*Ian Curtis "Transmission"--I love New Order. But Ian Curtis was a hell of a singer. That will always be true.

*Ari Up "I Heard It Through the Grapevine"--Inspired, bad ass, totally fun cover. Find The Slits doing this song if you can.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is great If you ever need pennis surgery related stuff, I'm sure you'd be interested in pennis surgery

1/11/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I skim a lot of blogs, and so far yours is in the Top 3 of my list of favorites. I'm going to dive in and try my hand at it, so wish me luck.

I've got a site you might be interested in (mine is about penis enlargement act ) I know, it sounds strange, but it's like anything, once you learn more about it, it's pretty cool. It's mostly about penis enlargement act related articles and subjects.

1/12/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you sure have a nice site here with some very interesting stuff. I have already bookmarked it.

It's a shame I spend so much time blog surfing that I often forget my own. Crazy me. :) But its so addictive and fun.

Anyway, a lot of people are trying to make cash online nowadays, so I thought I'd help you out with a site that has some great tools.

penis enlargement faq
Not bad to sit around doing nothing while your bank balance keeps growing. :)

1/12/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bloggs are such a wonderful way to plublish ones thoughts. Thanks for letting me visit and leave a comment. Love the theme of your blog Come by my site some time. It's got other penis enlargement related stuff.

1/12/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of the reasons why these early clocks have fallen into disrepair or are completely lost. Furthermore, many of these early clocks were painted with watercolor paints, which do not have the potential to hold their pigments over time and are easily removed by simply cleaning the clock with a damp cloth.
Find out more about huge wall clock

1/14/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a excellent blog. Keep it going. When searching for penis enlargement, I happened to come across your site. I'll bookmark it. Perhaps you would be interested in my site, penis enlargement

1/20/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wuzzz up?
Kinda of a strange question, but what exactlly is this here blog about.
I dont want to sound rude (I am not trying to be) is there a certian
direction or motivation for your blog?
Thanks..

1/30/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the blog

3/02/2006

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

uggs outlet, uggs on sale, beats headphones, lululemon outlet, vans outlet, nfl jerseys, soccer jerseys, nike trainers, wedding dresses, jimmy choo shoes, ferragamo shoes, mac cosmetics, chi flat iron, rolex watches, longchamp, new balance outlet, abercrombie and fitch, p90x workout, bottega veneta, reebok shoes, canada goose outlet, ghd, roshe run, mcm handbags, soccer shoes, instyler ionic styler, valentino shoes, canada goose outlet, ugg outlet, north face outlet, celine handbags, north face jackets, ugg soldes, herve leger, giuseppe zanotti, mont blanc pens, nike huarache, ugg, asics shoes, insanity workout, canada goose outlet, hollister, canada goose, marc jacobs outlet, ugg boots, birkin bag, babyliss pro

11/16/2014

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

swarovski jewelry, converse shoes, ugg, canada goose pas cher, hollister, oakley, canada goose, juicy couture outlet, pandora uk, hollister canada, converse, moncler, louboutin, replica watches, timberland shoes, pandora charms, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 case, ray ban, swarovski uk, uggs canada, moncler, gucci, moncler, vans, montre femme, juicy couture outlet, moncler, ralph lauren, coach outlet, moncler, moncler, moncler outlet, links of london uk, thomas sabo uk, louis vuitton canada, supra shoes, baseball bats, wedding dress, hollister clothing, karen millen, canada goose uk, toms outlet, parajumpers outlet, air max, lancel, canada goose, nike air max

11/16/2014

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home