Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Thursday, December 30, 2004

Education is about learning how to think for yourself

From activistgradgirl, this interesting discussion on abstinence until marriage and condom use. She was set off because of a conservative who argued that teaching condom use instead of abstinence until marriage was pretty much telling kids that they could never have children since sex requires condoms and not trust. Or something like that. It's typical either/or conservative thought. Which is to say that since they are offering a one size fits all solution to people--no sex until marriage and no birth control ever--then somehow that means that liberals are.

I thought about cars and racing, as I am likely to do since I am surrounded by gearheads and racing fanatics.

I drove to the grocery store today to buy fish and vegetables because we had guests over for dinner. I got in the pick-up truck, adjusted my seat and buckled my seatbelt. I did not put on a helmet. My truck is not equipped with a rollbar. I am not in the demolition derby and I am not a racer, so I only use a middling amount of protection.

If I were racing, I would have a helmet and instead of a regular seatbelt, I would have an entire apparatus to strap me down. I would also be wearing a fire retardant suit so that if my car caught fire I would survive. But I had less risk than racers have, so I used less protection. Because I am educated on different risk levels, I am capable of making value judgements about the risk I am taking and act accordingly. If I am driving normally, I use a seatbelt. If I am having monogamous sex with my boyfriend, I use birth control but not a condom. If I am racing, I use a helmet. If I am having non-monogamous sex, I use a condom.

When you educate people, you arm them with not just prescriptions for behavior, but with critical thinking skills to make judgements on their own. There is always risk; even with a fire retardant suit and a helmet, you can get into a racing accident that will kill you immediately. If you use these things for city driving or even just a seatbelt, you can still get killed. Danger is the price you pay for getting out and engaging in the world, living your life. We make value judgements every minute of every day; we balance the need for safety with the need to live. Yes, my boyfriend could be cheating on me and give me herpes. But I am making a value judgement that I am equipped to make because I have been educated to do so and odds are I'm not going to get herpes.

But if you rob someone of the ability to assess different risk levels, they have no idea what kind of safety mechanisms to employ. You see this when you compare street racing to professional racing. Professional racers, fully educated about what they are doing, cheerfully strap on the helmets and the fire retardant gear. They don't use these things when they are driving in normal traffic, because they know they don't need them. Street racers are under-educated and can't make good judgements. They treat racing like normal driving and don't wear gear. And they get killed. A lot. If they were empowered and educated like professional racers, they would know the difference and save themselves.

I want people to be trained like racers. Know everything and think for themselves. It's the best thing we've got going for us.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post, very well-written. I coudln't agree more. I like your car/driving/racing analogy, I think it works well.

Love your blog btw. :)

-Amber
http://amber.tangerinecs.com

12/31/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A me too... well written.
--ScottM

1/04/2005

 
Blogger Spy Cams Site said...

I have a **condoms** site/blog. It pretty much covers ##condoms## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

10/21/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

San Diego is having a Hot Rod Halloween on Sunday, October 30. If you love low rider art then you will want to be there! All kinds of low rider art will be in attendance. For more information go to low rider art
See Ya There!!

10/22/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow... how refreshing to find a blog with such interesting information. You have obviously put forth a great deal of thought and effort in creating such a great site -:)

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through your blog. Thanks for the great information. I will visit on a regular basis.

I have a Car Auction site. It pretty much covers Car Auction related items and services. You may find some of my content of interest.

If you have a moment drop by and pay my site a visit.

10/24/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its an amazing story she posted about the . I heard about it at www.horseoutlet.com as well last week.

12/29/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been hard for me to find good information via blog searches. I have search the search engines and am now looking through the blogs and still no luck. However, I did enjoy your post.

--All the best,
Cheap Truck Bed Covers

1/16/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reward yourself with substance, quality and synergy. Ride an electric bicycle. Be a kid again without the uphill struggle. zest

1/17/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I love your blog! Please take a look at my online nursing college programs blog at online nursing college programs. I think you will enjoy it! It talks all about online nursing college programs.

1/25/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger,

I cannot believe that I found useuful information about this topic in a blog. I read also books and ebooks but with no luck...

Regards,
adult personals

3/09/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doggie spa stuff is really hard to find.

I think anyone who develps a line of dog spa products could make a lot of money.

Any way, that's what I was looking for,but I found a couple of things here that interest me and I'll be back.

Thanks!

healthy dog food recipes

3/30/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've noticed a lot of blogs have started to include dog accessories but yours has some items I've not seen anywhere else.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
recipes for healthy dog food

3/30/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, just visited your blog, it's pretty good. Shetland Pony

4/10/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW...!!! LOOK OUT... Hi my friends! I'm writing to you because I just came across a business that I think has great potential. It lets you save money on almost everything. Make money from almost everything, Including home loans- plus... help lower your taxes--best of all--it requires absolutely no investment. I thought you might be interested and like to check it out...

Here I have a low cost multi-level marketing site/blog. It successfully covers low cost multi-level marketing related stuff and almost everything else!

Come and check it out if you get time, Scott.

10/25/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sona laser center

3/06/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

black girl white guys

3/06/2007

 
Blogger Unknown said...

The great thing about being a nurse is you encounter different kinds of people and be able to help these individuals simply by caring for them while they are sick. The main goal of being a nurse is to help their sufferers and also individuals to enhance their health and to care for all of them until they are better.

1/07/2013

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors outlet, oakley vault, ray ban outlet, kate spade handbags, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, prada handbags, longchamp handbags, tiffany jewelry, louis vuitton outlet online, coach outlet, christian louboutin, polo ralph lauren outlet, nike air max, burberry outlet online, jordan shoes, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co jewelry, red bottom shoes, gucci handbags, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet online, nike shoes, kate spade outlet online, longchamp outlet online, prada outlet, coach outlet, louis vuitton outlet, coach purses, longchamp outlet, true religion, louis vuitton, cheap oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet, chanel handbags, coach outlet store online, polo ralph lauren, burberry outlet online, nike free, christian louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, michael kors outlet store

11/16/2014

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home