It's list-swiping, meme-making time
To lighten things up and to steal from Echidne as often as possible, my verision of her list "Why, Despite Everything, Humans Should be Given a Second Chance", an all-pop-culture edition.
1) The enduring popularity of Motown's music.
2) That the Lord of the Rings trilogy was good enough to please fans of the book and people who've never read it.
3) Concert poster art
4) Enduring affection for retro pin-ups--you can check out Feministe's constantly changing header for really nice examples
5) Friday cat blogging
6) "The Daily Show" and "Dave Chapelle Show"
7) The rockabilly revival
8) PT Cruisers
9) The Food Network
10) Chuck Taylor Converse
11) Cheap regional beers
12) Disco balls
13) "Curb Your Enthusiasm", for letting us all know that there really is a George Costanza out there