Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

It's list-swiping, meme-making time

To lighten things up and to steal from Echidne as often as possible, my verision of her list "Why, Despite Everything, Humans Should be Given a Second Chance", an all-pop-culture edition.

1) The enduring popularity of Motown's music.

2) That the Lord of the Rings trilogy was good enough to please fans of the book and people who've never read it.

3) Concert poster art

4) Enduring affection for retro pin-ups--you can check out Feministe's constantly changing header for really nice examples

5) Friday cat blogging

6) "The Daily Show" and "Dave Chapelle Show"

7) The rockabilly revival

8) PT Cruisers

9) The Food Network

10) Chuck Taylor Converse

11) Cheap regional beers

12) Disco balls

13) "Curb Your Enthusiasm", for letting us all know that there really is a George Costanza out there

4 Comments:

Blogger FoolishOwl said...

#2 was pretty impressive. I'm surprised I haven't heard more mention of how difficult it was to please the science fiction/fantasy fans, since we're a community that regards nitpickery as a fundamental ethical principle. :)

I'm also personally grateful to the LOTR movies for bringing to light the heretofore obscured fact that there are a lot of women who like a) fantasy, and b) skinny guys with long hair. Curiously, the significance of this seems to be lost on a lot of immature male fantasy gamers who can't stand elves because they're "girly."

On #5: maybe I should borrow a digital camera. My rarely-updated blog could use some content, and the cats around here keep trying to crawl into the fan on my PC, in a desperate bid to survive the cruel California winter.

2/02/2005

 
Blogger Amanda Marcotte said...

Damn, I did not know that. Well, I drive a Toyota Echo, which gets like 38 mpg, so I do my part. Also, I drive mostly very short distances. It takes me a month to go through a tank of gas, if not longer.

2/03/2005

 
Blogger Phila said...

I just rented a PT Cruiser to go birdwatching...didn't want to put the mileage on my car. And yes, it gets very low mileage. It's actually very roomy and comfortable inside, though.

I was going to do a somewhat similar post a while ago, but it was going to be on what made me feel patriotic. Because I find it easy to lose sight of the things I really do love about this country. They're mostly geological and cultural, natch...everything from Krazy Kat to Bix Beiderbecke to Zion Canyon...

2/03/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although these early clocks were more primitive than their modern day counterparts, they included the famous cuckoo bird instead of more traditional chimes to mark the hour. Native to Asia, Africa, and Europe, the cuckoo bird is a unique bird that lays their eggs in the nests of other birds, which in turn rear the cuckoo's young as surrogate parents. This bird was commonly grey in color, although the female features a vibrant tuft of red feathers atop her head. Find out more about wood wall clock

1/14/2006

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home