Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

"Yes" and "no" don't happen in a vaccum

Sometimes I think Hugo is trying to provoke me with posts like this. The boiled down premise is that now that women have the right to say "yes" to sex that they want, they have lost a lot of their right to say "no" to sex they don't want. Hugo is specifically refering to teenage girls and the immense pressure on them to engage in sex acts they are uncomfortable with to garner the approval of teenage boys, which pains us all in no small part because as adults we cannot imagine whose approval could be less important than that of teenage boys. So the whole thing just seems like a set-up for humiliation.

Hugo explains that he' s never heard anyone say that they wish they had sex at a younger age. Well, I'm going to go ahead and just address that really quickly. Sometimes I wish I had started having sex younger. Looking back, I was mature enough and I had a good enough relationship that it wouldn't have been as big an issue as I thought it was at the time. I am reluctant to write that, in part because it's not unlikely that a reader or two of this blog tried to convince me of that at the time, albeit for selfish reasons. But mostly because it's considered unseemly for women to wish that they had sex that they didn't have. And that's because the double standard is alive and kicking.

Contrary to what a lot of people would like to believe, the messages out there aren't all telling girls that they have to say yes to everything. Certainly, those messages are all over the place, as they were when I was a teenager not all that long ago. And having younger sisters, I definitely see how the pressure to make yourself a compliant toy to be used by your male peers for sexual gratification can be overwhelming. And it's much worse than any stupid small thing like having your boyfriend leave you if you don't put out.

The pressures that really got to me and that I see getting to younger women now aren't as simple as just the pressures to have sex. It's the pressure to mold their desires and needs completely to the terms set by younger men. I didn't have sex when I was younger because from what I saw it was an exercise in humiliation--it seemed once you went there then people felt free to make a spectacle out of you and you had no choice but to go along with it and fake good humor about it. I wasn't afraid that my boyfriend would or wouldn't leave me, but I was very much afraid that he would start calling me clingy if I wanted him to call me or he would brag about what happened to his friends and I would have to laugh along as they laughed at me. (The former did happen, the latter not.)

But, as it turned out, saying no to sex didn't really do much to relieve the pressures that I conform to a litany of standards regarding what is "cool" for teenage girls to do if they want the boys to like them, some of those standards being contradictory indeed. (Most girls I know get completely flummoxed by trying to both refrain from being clingy and yet also be completely available to your boyfriend.) And of course teenage girls are often called on to make spectacles of themselves for the boys and then are laughed at when they do so, such as the really ridiculous trend of encouraging girls to make out with each other for everyone's entertainment. The hardest thing is feeling like you can't win.

On top of all this is the pressure to fetishize teenage virginity, which I find to be just as perverse and appalling as all the tongue-cluckers find teenage kids who experiment sexually with each other to be, if not more so because those who are fetishizing teenage virgins are adults who should know better. I know people think they are protecting girls, but these virginity pledges and whatnot are just as much about requiring girls to put their sexuality on display if they want social approval.

The whole virgin thing is just as much about obtaining male approval as anything else, anyway. Whenever someone who is enthusiastic about it is asked why waiting for marriage is so great anyway, the answer is usually something along the lines of saving it up for your husband or some other beautiful-sounding euphemism. No matter how you put it, I suspect that the main thing is that it's still a big thrill to be a woman's "first" and certainly there's something flattering about being someone's "only", not to mention that a man whose wife/girlfriend has "waited" for him and him only has the confidence that she's not comparing him to anyone else. I know these are all unreasonable feelings, but the funny thing is that sex brings out unreasonable feelings all over the place.

To my mind, the real issue is not whether or not girls feel comfortable saying "yes" or "no" to specific situations, but whether or not we're making it possible for them to say "yes" or "no" to a culture that insists that their sexuality belongs to everyone but themselves--be it a bunch of frat boys at a party or to some nebulous future husband. Start by teaching girls that your sexuality belongs to you and you only and it will become much easier for them to negotiate what sexual experiences they wish to have or not.

10 Comments:

Blogger Amanda Marcotte said...

Well, I think we're on the same page, certainly. I guess what troubles me is that young women are being encouraged to see sex as an either/or proposition with considering *why* they may want to or not want to.

10/05/2004

 
Blogger Barbara Preuninger said...

I couldn't agree more with you in your post. Quite frankly, the more things change, the more they stay the same. I was appalled at how casually 7th & 8th grade students tossed around the word "slut". That's hardly what I would call "social pressure" to have sex!

It ends up being a typical double-bind for women, just like the choice to work outside the home or to stay home with children. People will give you crap no matter what you choose.

10/05/2004

 
Blogger Elayne said...

I guess I probably wish I'd lost my virginity earlier than age 23 as well, because then I might have found out earlier that I couldn't have kids and maybe I'd have been able to do something about it...

10/05/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hugo, Linnet's comments are still spot on. You do have a paternalistic tone and you masquerade as feminist views that have nothing to do with feminism. You also have the bad habit of preferring sweeping generalisations over acknowledgement diversity of experiences; setting up your own views and perceptions and beliefs as "rules" and then pre-empt real discussion by anticipating comments that will prove there are "exceptions" to those rules; and then when faced with real discussion anyway, pretend you weren't really saying what you said.

You write: 'As Elizabeth Cady Stanton said, I want young women to think of themselves as "nouns and verbs, not adjectives." I want them to be subjects not objects, agents rather than passive recipients.' - Do you see the irony in that statement?

And: "But I also recognize that regretting having sex early is invariably worse than regretting not having had sex earlier!" - That, like the previous one, and like the original post, is one of your "rules" derived by one of your generalisations, you're completely ignoring that whether people - boys, girls, it's the same - wish they had sex earlier or not depends entirely on how their own personal experience was. There may be a lot of girls and boys who wish they'd given it more thought and maybe not ended up drunk with someone they didn't even like for their first time; there are also a lot of boys and girls who maybe had a very strict upbrining, and conservative parents, and religious indoctrination that put pressures on them to think of sex as something bad or sinful, and maybe a few years later when they could make up their own mind about that notion they realised they really wished they hadn't been so repressed. Then, there'll be people who are reasonably happy with their teenage sexual experiences. And many more different cases.

Why would anyone insist on ignoring all that and making generalisations specifically about girls? Why directly or indirectly perpetrate stereotypes about sexuality being a kind of scary dangerous thing ("regret having sex" - unless that had unintended and unchangeable consequences - pregnancy, for instance - it's not like anything less than deep spiritual fireworks as first experience can do irreversible damage, no?) and about female virginity being somehow more of a matter of "honour" to be preserved than for males?

So ok you're saying both boys and girls should wait for some deep powerful moment. That's all very nice. But what if there are boys and girls do not care about deep and powerful and just want to have fun? is that unthinkable? what kind of perpetual damage can a bit of fun and experimentation do, once it's consensual and safety and basic mutual respect are present? are you going to tell those teenagers that somehow they devalued themselves if they didn't wait for a deep powerful moment, and should regret it? Why, most of all, should that assumption focus on girls? Why favour and perpetrate the view that girls are never really controlling their own behaviour?

I too believe kids should never be pressured into doing anything they may not want to do. That includes "waiting". It can contribute a lot more anxiety and repression about sex than spontaneous curiosity. Let each teenager make up their mind, and let's stop bombarding them with such ambiguous, contradictory messages about their independence.

10/10/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think that could give you some Search Engine popularity, and traffic???

10/28/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the World Wide Web is home to a great number of marketing opportunities that you could avail of,

11/03/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Blog about outdoor sporting good. I also have a Blog/Website about outdoor sporting good which is why I enjoyed this blog so much. Keep up the excellent work! Check out my site if you have a moment.

11/03/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And A Link Back To Your Web Site Excite You?

11/05/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey i love your blog!

if you want some free contest prizeprizes try blingo, its free to sign up and you can win free prizes! I just won a free movie ticket! Lets win together!

11/15/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow what a cool blog you have here! I am impressed. You really put a lot of time and effort into this. I wish I had your creative writing skills, progressive talent and self- discipline to produce a blog like you did. Your blog really does deserve an honest compliment. If you have some time, stop by my site. It deals with stuff like, click here: passive residual income and then feel free to e-mail me with your words of wisdom.

P.S. I'll sure put the word out about your site and I would appreciate any business you may send my. way... Later, Scott.

8/15/2006

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home