Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Sunday, June 20, 2004

Feeling ancient

Which I'm not, but this was the weekend of getting to feel old. First of all, another couple of my acquaintance took the plunge at got married. Around the "cool kids" table, as I jokingly called it because it was sort of the punk rock table, where everyone was a musician or dating one, the topics of children, mortgage, marriage, and weddings we've been to all came up. Luckily, it was still the "cool kids" table so there was none of that so-when-are-you-two-getting-married crap. And hey, we're not all that lame. Other topics included why the MC5 should not be touring again and which musicians whose songs totally deserve getting reduced to cell phone ring tones (Depeche Mode) and which don't (Elvis Costello).
Earlier in the weekend, as we drove by our house-to-be, my boyfriend pondered out loud why it is that suddenly there's been a rash of bars in that neighborhood that appeal to the hipster crowd, i.e. people our age who listen to punk and indie, the more obscure the better. You know, the ones whose adolesence was defined by the music of the 80's and early 90's and were young adults when "alternative" music was finally sucked up by our corporate overlords. Spot 'em (us) by their thick-rimmed glasses, ironic T-shirts, sneaker choices that hearken back to the 80's (me: Converse, boyfriend: Vans), pearl snap button Western shirts, vintage dresses, and dark indigo jeans. (I'm not a bad indie poseur, though. I own exactly no ironic T-shirts or thick-rimmed glasses.) These have been the "cool kid"'s way of dressing for a decade plus, and it's hardened into habit. A couple of people at the wedding last night wore black shirts, and it's my guess that they just didn't own anything else.
Anyway, I digress. Why are there bars going up all over our new neighborhood that appeal specifically to that crowd? My theory was that our generation was aging, and we just don't have the energy to go downtown and party all night. Neighborhood bars with jukeboxes full of Joy Division and Johnny Cash have finally come into their own. Yep, we've moved on from hipsters to aging hipsters and the best proof of this is that our favorite hobby is sitting around sneering at those who are just a few years younger that have gotten into that nauseating "emo" music, which, as anyone with his wits about you pales in comparison to the excrutiatingly sad music of the 80's like the Smiths and the Cure, who managed to be insanely popular by not sucking.
Well, file this post on Alas, a Blog by Pink Dream Poppies under Confirming That We Are Aging Hipsters. It's well-written, don't get me wrong. And I like her take on things, but it made me want to crawl under my bed and suck my thumb. She wonders why older music is being recycled in newer music, and guesses it's probably just cyclical:

So that's my explanation for things: a bit of vague nostalgia mixed with a hindsight curiousity and a culture that's actively interested in recycling some bits from the eighties mixed with the simple fact that music these days is actually remarkably dull if you're a white kid who can't or won't like hip-hop. In ten years or so, if popular music is as dead as it is today, I wouldn't be surprised to see kids jumping around to a playlist that included Limp Bizkit and Britney Spears and Ricky Martin. At which point, I'll probably be standing around, looking at kids at a high school graduation party, saying to myself, "The fuck are they doing listening to this stuff?"

Let's hope not. My guess is that Limp Bizkit, etc. will go to the same dustbin of history that the crap that was actually topping the charts in the 80's went. I found this random list of shit that was popular in 1988, if that will help explain my meaning. Anyway, much of the music that is getting recycled isn't from the 80's, really. Garage rock is a 60's style, for instance.
Nonetheless, she's right that there is a hearkening back to the 80's going on right now. But I disagree that it's a market-driven thing, that the teenagers and young adults have some inexplicable craving for the years of bad cartoons, hairspray, designer jeans, and AIDS scaring the crap out of everyone. No, it's just that the musicians who are finally coming into their own now are in their late 20's and 30's and they are playing the kind of music they listened to while growing up. If people are playing punk, garage rock, post-punk and creaky 80's dance music retreads, take a look through their record collections and you'll see that they probably have all the original stuff in beaten and dirty c.d. cases.

*And for any of my friends who read this and want to snarkily tell me that I'm too young to count myself in the aging hipster category, well, I'm on the borderline. God knows all my friends are in the nefarious Gen X category. I think as long as you knew the pain of puberty before the Berlin Wall fell, you get in.
**For those who figure fashions are just cyclical, period, you definitely have a point. At the wedding last night(yes, I'm bringing it up alot, but it'd be hard to find a better collection of people 26-40 who are vaguely uncomfortable having to actually behave like adults), one of the guests showed up wearing a white shirt with his tie loosely knotted so that it falls a few inches below his neck. His entire ensemble went with the fashion, the sloppily tucked in shirt, etc. It was a fashion I found incredibly appealing when I was a kid, but now I find to be kinda silly. Anyway, I pointed him out to a friend and said, "Like it or not, the 80's really are back." She laughed and said, "Well, it was just a matter of time, wasn't it? These things always come back."

50 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So this is where all the low mortgage rate information is, I thought I did a good job on my site, but I am humbled. Maybe someone can take a look at my site at low mortgage rate and tell me where I can improve.
Very nice site!!

10/09/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great blog on gown wedding I have abolg on the subject here gown wedding

10/16/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog which I found using personalized wedding gift search. Wedding issues and the stress it can cause for personalized wedding gift are worth it in the end for stable relationships.

10/18/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bookmark you. I have a

10/20/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello.. you have a very informative blog.

I shall visit again.

Warmest Regards.. :-)

Find wedding rings.

10/25/2005

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Your page loaded really quick for all the content and images I'm impressed

11/03/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a www.microncoatings.it
site/blog. It pretty much covers www.microncoatings.it
related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

11/05/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where i get more info?

1/05/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christmas is just around the corner. No time to go to the mall...then do your shopping online. We sell everything that the mall sells. Shop today!

1/08/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm the new gal...
Jen
LG DPA-CU24 USB Cable

1/11/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ever wish you could surf all day. I wish I could. I can only say you ahve a great blog and take off. Want to find a car loan fort worth site sometime today. Again, thanks.

1/11/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy to have found your blog. I was in the mood for a car loan dallas related site, but not a bad find.

1/11/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

J'ai pens� que je laisserais un poteau sur le engraved wedding rings et j'esp�re qui est frais.Earnestly, Kathrine engraved wedding rings

1/13/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking for useful articles about love, marriage, romance etc. and somehow I found your blog and I must say it�s really nice. I also visited Top Personals and I think is very interesting for singles looking for totally free adult personals. Take a look at http://top-personals.net.

1/19/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! While out blog surfing today for specific info on wine and cheese gift basket, I ended up on your page. Your site shows that I ended up a little off base...funny how we end up finding things while we surf. Should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about wine and cheese gift basket.

1/21/2006

 
Blogger Dale's Gmail said...

Hello! While I was searching for info on first mortgage I somehow landed here. I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for first mortgage. Thanks for the post.

1/24/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is great fun to read all these good blogs. Your's is very nice. I have been looking for information about ralph lauren greenwich ez sneaker and have not really found it anywhere but here: http://www.find-it-first.biz/exit/zappo.php

Has anyone else seen it elsewhere?

1/27/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

J'ai certainement fait quelques erreurs en travaillant ceci dehors, mais toutes pour le meilleur.Sincerely, Delphia Wholesale Wedding Decorations

1/27/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All products are backed by a money-back guarantee. Shop here and buy consumer lcd report tvs with confidence.

1/29/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the infomation

2/01/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rather than working today, I decided to sneak away and do something totally different and ODD with my time. I went out to go find more info about Adverse credit mortgage lender uk and other related topics. Could not believe this one site I found that had to do with that because it was right on point. You can check this out for yourself and you will not believe how remarkable cool this site is. It gives me all the hottest searches people are looking for. Like instant.
Adverse credit mortgage lender uk

2/05/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is interesting to see all you have to offer on the subject.Adieu, Susie debt reduction company

2/05/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gonna take off on a trip for the weekend. A leisurely weekend. But the weird thing is, that while I was out search for certain sites that would show me spots to hit on my way to where I am going, I found this interesting site on Mortgage rates in the uk and you would not believe how distracted I became from my initial purpose. I almost got so carried away, I almost forgot to leave on my trip. Could you believe that? I guess that site was a little more interesting than what I was doing or something reminded me that I was looking for this in the first place. Funny how the mind works.
Mortgage rates in the uk

2/06/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woah! You ever had one of those days where someone pisses you off, but the feeling never goes away? Well, that's what I have been battling today. But somehow, when I get back in touch with myself on the screen, or in my blog, I have a way to blow it off. I can almost see more clearly, or when I go off and find out things about stuff I have a slight interest about, like Best buy let mortgage uk, it takes my mind off the stress of things. Oh well, guess it is just one of those days again. Hey, in fact, I'm feeling better already. Cheers!
Best buy let mortgage uk

2/06/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on! It was just one of those smoothe days. Even the traffic seemed to flow on the freeway, way better than I expected. I like that. Yeah, so and then I get home and just when I was gonna give up on looking for a specialty site on Investment mortgage online uk, it hits me like lightning. This site right here before my eyes is loaded with keywords and phrases that other people are searching for just then at the moment. I mean, how much fresher can it get. Terrific!
Investment mortgage online uk

2/06/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright! I had it. If I have to put up another day in the house with a teenager, why I will. Okay. Take a chill pill. I know, even though she is going through her toughest years of trying to figure out who she is, I have to take a level head about this. I mean, she sure cannot be this way forever. She will just flip out on me for no reason whatsoever. Just for asking a question. Might as well just go out and look for something else. It can just take my mind off the bummer of dealing with a teenager. Uk mortgage interest rates

2/07/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi blogger:)

You provide free of charge info however we really appreciate it... I can learn new things without the need to purchase any books...

Regards,
make money at home online

3/27/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi blogger:)

I don't like so much to read however I this time I break the rule! I was so attracted to your blog that started and kept reading some of your interesting posts. Keep it up!

Regards,
earn money online

3/28/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep on working and posting useful information. cheers payday cash advance

4/02/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog. I love all the free online adult movie. I will definately be back again... and again and again.

5/02/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

5/22/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a quite astonishing blog. I found it when looking for adult single chat.
Regards, Kate @ Adult Singles

6/20/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my applicant bad credit loan mortgage site.
Have a good day!

7/04/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found yours! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my apply for scholarships site.
Good luck!

7/05/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Fellow, you have a top-notch blog here!
If you have a moment, please have a look at my barbados job vacancies site.
Good luck!

7/20/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a wireless phone deal
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

7/25/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool Blog! If you get a chance I would like to invite you to visit the following garage blog, it is cool to!

7/25/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my toy dolls mp3 site.
Have a great week!

7/30/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please make a visit to my totally fun free games site.
Good luck in your endeavors!

7/30/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my toyota matrix site.
Have a good day!

7/30/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am here because of search results for blogs with a related topic to mine.
Please,accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
I have a wholesale wicker basket site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

8/03/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my bad credit home mobile mortgage site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

8/04/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rejoice in every melody you heard, the smiles you shared with strangers, the blissfully simple laugh of a child, the spun sugar clouds waltzing through a patch of topaz sky. Now snuggle into your favorite pillow and be filled with warmth and perfect peace. home insurance

8/06/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a bad credit loan mortgage tennessee site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Greetings.

8/07/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog. Loved all the free amateur adult movie. Keep up the good work and I shall return.

8/25/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a very nice blog. I have been looking for advice free love romance articles such as http://single-dating-service.org

10/11/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blog your AD to Millions. Post your AD for FREE and get MASSIVE traffic to your site. FREE to join. To get started fast, Click Here: moneymaking opportunities site. It pretty much covers moneymaking opportunities related stuff and it's FREE to join.

11/13/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

date directory

2/19/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

romance picture

2/28/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there! I linke your blog "ebay online shopping" post. I have just begun selling "ebay online shopping" on ebay. My store offers digital ebooks and scripts at http://stores.ebay.com/onlineincomegenerators?refid=store and my blog also has ebay tips about tracking stats and such at http://net-success-solutions.com/incomeblog/ I hope you like it! Thanks

3/11/2007

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home