Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Sahara Hotnights

Pretty good new band in the garage-y genre, which is one of my favorites. I'm posting on the Sahara Hotnights tonight because I haven't given them a listen in a long time, but a friend of mind admonished me and reminded me that this is a band I'd probably like a lot if I listened to them more. I have on their album Jennie Bomb right now, and he's right--they are fun and know how to rock the house. They also have a new album called Kiss and Tell, which I should get a copy of.

I don't listen to enough of the 60's-style garage rock revival bands (though we did go see The Hives play an 8:00 show to a crowd of about 20 before they managed to make it onto MTV). Garage rock is my bread and butter music, but usually I stick to the actual 60's stuff. Time to expand my horizons some. (Though if you're looking for some highly entertaining female-fronted 60's garage rock, check out the Ultra Chicks series--all garage pop rock from France. Fun stuff.)

The Sahara Hotnights are just more gruesome evidence that European women might have a better grasp on how to throw together a garage band than Americans--they are from Sweden, though you'd never know it from the singer's accent. (The name is kind of a giveaway, though.) And from what little I've seen of their videos on TV, they seem like pretty straightforward rock and roll types, not overly glammed up. I have to admit, this is refreshing--a good deal of the time a woman has to carry on as if she were in a supermodel beauty contest to get a chance to have the same exposure that syphilitic, greasy male musicians can get.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home