Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Sunday, October 24, 2004

Seriously, it's okay to think your girlfriend is pretty, dude

Mink Stole gets the best advice column letters. Today we have a guy who probably means well, but is blowing it big time:

My boyfriend doesn’t think I am pretty. We’ve been dating for more than a year and he’s very kind and attentive, but whenever I ask him how I look he makes a big deal of telling me that my looks aren’t important and he loves me for who I am, not what I look like. I always thought I was pretty, not a ravishing beauty maybe, but pretty enough. When he says stuff like that it makes me feel like he’s fighting the urge to puke every time he looks at me. He’s terrific in every other respect, and as long as I don’t mention my appearance I can believe it when he tells me how great I am. The problem is that if I buy a new dress or have my hair done I’ll expect him to say something nice, but then he doesn’t and I’m devastated. I know I’m lucky to have someone to love me for myself, and I don’t want to break up with him, but would it kill him to pay me a compliment every once in a while?

I think about what I would do in this situation and I realize I have serious personality problems. Because I know that if I had a boyfriend who said bone-headed things like, "I like you for what's inside" when I ask how he likes my outfit or whatever, I would say something like, "You're not my mom, you're my lover." If I was in a good mood.

It's safe to say that if he's trying to be a good feminist and show that he is in a relationship for more than her looks, then he's being pretty simple-minded. There's nothing feminist about deciding for a woman what she needs to hear instead of letting her decide for herself. If she wants some compliments, then why withhold? Plus, he's probably lying anyway. If any guy told me that he saw past my looks into my soul blah blah and that's what attracted him, I would be pissed off that he thinks I would fall for that drivel.

Anyway, as Mink Stole points out, it goes both ways. There's no rule that women can't compliment their men for how they look. It's fun, too, because men don't expect it and can be counted on to blush or at least look embarrassed. Why should men have all the fun when it comes to flattering somebody?

13 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Amanda, sorry that this is so off-topic, but I read your blog when I can (and remember to) and I you're much more eloquent a writer than I am. I'm having trouble with ... well, you should check it out.

http://sirigad.blogspot.com/2004/10/franken-and-i.html

This guy has his own blog ... which is filled with Ann Coulter-like mindless dribble. Which I promptly challenged him to back up. And he responded with the Bush tactic of "When in trouble, try to turn the argument around on the person." So, would you mind reading it over and telling me if I'm crazy for thinking that when you go spouting claims like his you should also have facts to back you up?

10/24/2004

 
Blogger Amanda Marcotte said...

There's no way that I can see why you wouldn't tell someone who asked, "How do I look?" or "What do you think of my new haircut?" that you think she looks great or you love the new haircut, unless of course an intervention is necessary.

10/25/2004

 
Blogger Amanda Marcotte said...

Dave, I checked that out--I wouldn't bother trying to prove anything. If simple jokes like that go over the dude's head, then he'll never understand actual reason.

10/25/2004

 
Blogger Dave said...

Do you mean the 12-guage story? LOL. My boyfriend and I had a good laugh at that. You're right, though ... I've given up. Some people aren't worth wasting your breath on.

10/25/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey great blog, if you have a change do you think you could view my friends site?

Sexy Letters

10/02/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DateScoop is a great way to find new friends or partners for fun, teen online dating and long term relationships. Sign up for free ##KEYWORD##

11/06/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice site please take a look at my pics if you want

11/21/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you should come to this site about adult adult adult adult dating dating.info online online personals personals photo photo

Its here click on adult adult adult adult dating dating.info online online personals personals photo photo

11/22/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

free adult personals swingers
free adult personals swingers

Find a date at free adult personals swingers

11/22/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi greetings form downunder. I was searching for the latest information on online dating advice , I can see how i landed on your page. While your blog didn't match exactly what I was looking for (I was after online dating advice related stuff) I enjoyed reading your bolg, I'll come back again to read future posts. Take Care.

1/29/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a very nice blog. I have been looking for advice love that works articles such as http://single-dating-service.org

10/14/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

international online dating

2/14/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

free video upload site

3/03/2007

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home