Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Friday, November 05, 2004

Can't let the terrorists win

It's been brought to my attention that my gnawing on the subject of the election endlessly has grown boring. Apparently, if all 12 of my readers can't get a daily dose of female musicians I like and ragging on shitty advice columns, then the terrorists have already won. I happen to agree completely. After all, literate women who can broadcast their opinions over the Internet is exactly the sort of thing that pisses Osama bin Laden off.

In interest of getting back on the horse, I'm going to address the issue of Debbie Harry today. There's not likely a person reading this who doesn't know who Debbie Harry is, and if you think you don't you probably just mix up her name with the name of her band. Since this is true, there's no need to describe her or what she does or any of that. Time for the time-honored narcissism of blogging.

I've loved Blondie since I could walk, which is something that I got no end of shit for in high school and college, but since then people all of a sudden seem to have grown to respect the band. That, or I have better friends now, which is my theory. It was a combination of factors that appall your average snob--they aren't serious, they are popular, and they have a female lead singer who is a sex symbol. While none of these things appeal directly to the snob factor, these are exactly the three factors that make Blondie the #1 karaoke band for the Mouse.

I can't sing, not at all. Debbie Harry can. Which is why it's weird that I can actually manage to sing a few Blondie songs well at karaoke. Not bring down the house well, but good enough that people applaud vigorously, and that's all I need. It's probably because I have been listening to these songs for 25 years. Plus, because of the sex symbol factor, you can really sell a Blondie song by bouncing around like a moron, trying to look like Debbie Harry trying to look cute. And because they are popular, everyone in the room is likely to light up when the song comes on.

But mostly I like them because they are goofy. Most people do not listen to enough goofy music, in my opinion. And if you are a big fan of karaoke, and I am, this can be very disheartening as one person after another gets up to sing his/her favorite song and that song is depressing and deep and sad. And most sad music isn't even clever, which is even more sad. When out having drinks and trying to laugh at karaoke singers, I want some peppy, silly, fun music. So I always try to sing fun songs.

This is a principle that can be applied across-the-board, by the way. It's just common sense to play "Heart of Glass" instead of "Heroin" on the jukebox. Granted, Blondie wasn't really stepping out and making a much-needed statement about music being fun on their own, but were part of a larger punk rock push towards making music fun, but I think they reached a certain giddy zenith that I can really appreciate.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blondie was one of the many bands that defined my whole UCSB college experience back in the late 70's, early 80's. I would classify Blondie as more new wave than punk though. And Deb Harry was so much fun in John Water's "HairSpray". "Parallel Lines" is still one of my favorite albums. Thanks for giving Blondie consideration in your blog.

spot

11/06/2004

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Man there is alot of comment spam I have noticed. Is there any way to remove it from the blogs?

11/03/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda,

RE: Can't let the terrorists win. Why don't you put a link to your blog about free traffic on our site
for free? We have a specific category for free traffic related
sites. We get tons of visitors and your link will be permanent.
See http://www.leadcub.net . Thanks.

John

Get 10,000 free opt in leads right now.

2/13/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger,

Please, please, please can I use the ideas that you suggested, for my new website? I don�t want to do this without your permission but if you say no, I will be so, so disappointed! :o)

Regards,
make extra money

3/05/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear friend, Your blog is very interesting and well written. I feel like I have learned a wealth of information by stopping and spending some time here. As a way to repay your kindness, I have just decided to show you how to recieve about 397 dollars worth of downloadable gifts. This must be a limited time offer, as I don't know how much longer this exiting information will be on my website....Go and check out the opportunites I have for you. Your gifts are a way saying thank for your kindness and consideration.

To find out more, visit my workfromhome site. It successfully covers FREE information exposing FREE traffic and workfromhome related stuff.

8/14/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Attention Blog Owners...!!! WARNING: A new immensely powerful viral marketing system has been released, which allows marketers to broadcast messages directly to people's desktops. Learn more about it here: work at home business site. It pretty much covers work at home business related stuff and it is FREE to join.

11/22/2006

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home