Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Saturday, November 13, 2004

Headscarves

Bavaria has joined the dogpile on women's right to wear headscarves.

The Bavarian parliament approved the measure after Culture Minister Monika Hohlmeier argued that the headscarf was a symbol of the repression of women.

It makes me sick that they are hiding behind feminism to impose what are essentially laws restricting religious freedom. Worse, I see feminists getting all bent out of shape over this, over-intellectualizing and even justifying the headscarves.

It's very simple. The headscarves are a symbol of oppression, but it's just more oppression to ban them.

You don't combat oppression by going after women who choose to cooperate with it. You battle oppression by going after blatant oppressors, respecting freedom, and creating social structures to support women who throw off the shackles. By imposing "feminism" on women, you are trading a more severe form of oppression for a less severe one. Banning the headscarves is making women's dress as much a political football as forcing them to wear them is.

For all the dithering about fighting oppression, I find it telling that the only symbol of women's oppression they wish to attack is Muslim-specific. If they honestly thought banning these symbols would help the cause of women's equality, they would also make it illegal for women to take their husbands' names, for starters.

8 Comments:

Blogger bitchphd said...

Amen, most excellent rebuttal of this idiotic headscarf bullshit I've seen yet.

I didn't know that about Quebec. Cool.

11/13/2004

 
Blogger Amanda Marcotte said...

I can see why it would be tempting to create a law banning name change upon marriage, just to cut down on the bureaucracy that's been built up to handle the frequent name-changing of half the population. Still, that's just too much encroachment on freedom for my taste.

11/13/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shop at your favorite stores 24 hours a day. Why go to the mall when you can shop online and avoid the traffic

1/07/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I was out surfing on the net looking for the latest info on african american online dating. Ok your blog wasn't exactly what I was looking for but it got my attention and interest, now I see why I found your page when I was looking for african american online dating. Anyway I'm glad I stopped by, great read, catch you later.

1/29/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

2/05/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever asked yourself...Why do I feel crappy, sad, disorganized and just palin out of control. How can I fix myself without spending a fortune. I meet people allthe time that wonder why I am Happy and Have a Successful Life... Have You ever heard of using " feng shui products "..If you truly seek a life of complete wellness then try using feng shui. Learn from the Masters..

2/06/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...Visit Our Web Site at http://buildhomes4u.com If You are Looking forr advice on house floor plans.

2/14/2006

 
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8/26/2007

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home