Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Friday, November 05, 2004

You cannot make pick-up lines less lame

But since when did being lame ever stop our advice-minded friends at MSN? Today, they provide a valuable service of telling guys the brand-new non-pick-up line pick-up lines they can use to pick up women without picking them up. And they suggest that jazz is smooth, which is an insult to good jazz.

Changing your game
The phrase "pick-up line" implies that you're trying to lift an object (a woman) and transport her from one place (a bar) to another (a bed). Let's ditch that phrase and the mentality that goes with it.

Instead, make your goal to meet a girl you could actually date.

Possibly the greatest lie that we flatter ourselves with in this culture is the one where we tell ourselves that there are one-night stands and people you "actually" date. One night stands sometimes turn to love, my friends. And if you don't think someone that would be picked up in a bar is worth dating, then how can you justify to yourself that you are worth dating, since you pick people up in bars?

Anyway, the not-at-all-lame pick-up lines.

1. Find a common denominator
"I was wearing a shirt with some band's name on it when a guy came up and asked if I was a fan," says Celia, 28, "It actually was my roommate's shirt. I'd never heard of the band, but we got to talking and now we're dating."

This is finding something in common? What did he find out? If he liked the band, he found that she didn't even know who the band was. If he didn't like the band, then he did find something that they have in common, but he is also a freak. Asking someone if they like a band when they are wearing the T-shirt is a moronic question. Outside of this girl, when someone wears a band T-shirt, that's usually what they mean to express--that they like the band.

2. Keep it simple, stupid
"I've found that a simple 'Hello' works best," reports Paul, 31. "I just give the greeting, and the conversation flows from there." Warning: Paul bears a remarkable resemblance to Matt Damon, which may explain his unusual success.

You'll see this advice a lot, and while I admire the spirit of it, I can't stand behind the substance. In spirit, they are trying to explain that being yourself is always a good plan and coming up with some bold and clever line just makes you look like an asshole. In reality, when a guy hits on a girl by just saying "Hello," nine times out of ten, she'll say hello back and keep on her way. Some kind of follow-up would probably be useful.

3. Revise a classic
"My brain shuts down when guys ask me, 'Haven't I seen you somewhere before?'" opines Kirby, 35. "At least make your lines more specific. Something like, 'Don't you work out at the local gym?' or 'Didn't you model at the last [designer] show?'"

"Even if it's just a line," Kirby adds, "at least it's a flattering one."

Didn't I see you at the garbage dump? I have never been anything but annoyed when someone tries to get me to brainstorm with him where we know each other from when he knows for a fact this is the first time he's seen me. It's not cute. Dressing it up won't change that fact.

4. Play the name game
"I'd much rather a guy just come up and ask me my name than use some cheesy pick-up line," notes Lisa, 27.

Note: There's still a big difference between "What's your name?" and "What's your sign?" Despite what you may have heard, don't go there.

Again, this is the sort of advice that sounds good, but if some strange guy just walked up to me and asked my name without fanfare, I would be scared.

5. Keep it real
"'You look just like Jennifer Lopez,' can come off as a pathetic pick-up line," advises Filona, 19. "Especially if I know I don't look like the celebrity you're referencing."

"Some guy actually told me once," reveals Shelley, 27, "that I looked just like a favorite pet he had growing up. He meant it as a compliment, but that was a little too real for me."

How stupid, really, do they think guys are? False flattery is a bad idea for anyone.

6. Listen ... then listen some more
"There's nothing worse than when a guy who brags about his car, his job or his video game collection," says Beth, 32. "Remember, guys, show an interest in the girl and she'll reciprocate. You can stand to hear about her pet Chihuahua for a few minutes."

This is that nefarious good advice that they always slip in. Listening to people is in fact the best way to get them to like you, of course. But it's not surefire.

8. Play off your surroundings
"The problem with bars is that they offer no outlet for conversation — besides alcohol," says Roberta, 48. "If you're dating online, you can ask questions based on what a guy wrote in his free profile. If you're at the zoo, you can talk about the zebras. If you're at a strip club, well ... you may want to revert to basic pick-up lines."

They forgot #7, but have nine hints, bringing the total to the promised eight. They seriously need editors.

Anyway, there is pretty much nothing you can say to a stripper to get her to go home with you. If you're always hitting on strippers and no one else, that might be why you never get a date.

9. Know somebody
"My friends have my back," says Tracy, 34. "If one of my friends introduces you, then I know you're definitely someone I want to meet."

Plus, if you have friends, you seem less like some scary, friendless, lonely person. So if you are friendless, hire some new friends. Or join a frat.

I sat there and mulled for exactly 3 seconds over the dilemma this article presents--if the "old" lines don't work and the "new" lines don't work, what lines work? This sort of advice leads people to believe there is a magic set of words that will make someone swoon over you and do what you want them to. But the truth is that if someone likes you, they'll overlook a somewhat clumsy greeting, and if they don't like you, nothing you say will persuade them otherwise.

27 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Visited your free online christian dating site.

greetz

free online christian dating

10/07/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Came here searching for adult dating free

Not a bad site you got here mate!

Check out mine
All about
adult dating free

10/15/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

facinating t-shirts and custom t-shirts that are really cool.

10/20/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

San Diego is having a Hot Rod Halloween on Sunday, October 30. If you love car auto then you will want to be there! All kinds of car auto will be in attendance. For more information go to car auto
See Ya There!!

10/22/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how can i start a blog

1/04/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shop online today. Forget driving to the mall when you can just click the mouse and order from your favorite store. No traffic to deal with

1/07/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog when I was googling for love and romance articles. I also visited an interesting site at http://top-personals.net that is also related to free personals and has some useful tips for singles, check it if you�re interested.

1/15/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where can i get more info?

1/15/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shop online today. Forget driving to the mall when you can just click the mouse and order from your favorite store. No traffic to deal with

1/17/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello ##NAME##, with all the information on legit work at home jobs I became very overwhelmed. Anyway, I was online doing a specific search for the most current information on legit work at home jobs and somehow I ended up on your site. ##NAME## to be frank, ##TITLE## wasn't not the exact match to what I was looking for, but boy am I glad I'm here. You've certainly managed to grab me attention and peak my interest. I must say this is a great blog and I'm most certainly happy that I stopped by eventhough it wasn't the legit work at home jobs related information I was looking for. Thanks. Keep up the good work.

1/25/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great opportunity. Just push a button 4 times per day and make $1,000's per month within one year.

2/11/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a great opportunity, no selling, no phoning, no recruiting PERIOD!

4/30/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is very cool. I have a site http://top-personals.net related to online personals, take a look if you are looking for personals. It is very interesting blog. I found a nice site similar to this topic and online personals. Adult Singles

6/15/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is very interesting. I found it when looking for adult single dating.
Regards, Kate from Adult Singles

6/20/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Fellow, you have a top-notch blog here!
If you have a moment, please have a look at my videogame download site.
Good luck!

6/26/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am here because of search results for blogs with a related topic to mine.
Please,accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
I have a make money with clickbank site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

7/19/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my toyota matrix parts site.
Have a great week!

7/30/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark your blog page!

I have a dating jewish online services blog. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

2/14/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

california personal injury lawyer

2/28/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

atlanta man seeking woman

3/05/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

single personals

3/20/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with views expressed above. In fact I strongly believe with what is being said in this blog.

If anyone would like to comment or chat let me know.


Free Dating Advice by Tanya...
tanya@allaboutsingles.com

username: maryjanelove
System-Admin of the hottest singles site on the Internet
Mention this blog and I will give you one month free>>> have a happy day
http://www.allaboutsingles.com
Singles Sites
http://singlessites.blogspot.com/

8/05/2007

 
Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

asics shoes
gucci shoes
nike shoes
coach outlet store online
michael kors handbags
christian louboutin shoes
yeezy boost 350
eagles jerseys
nike trainers
cheap oakley sunglasses

11/09/2017

 
Blogger Unknown said...

zzzzz2018.7.27
yeezy boost 350 v2
nike factory outlet
moncler outlet
pandora jewelry
ugg boots
reebok
canada goose
hermes belt
coach factory outlet
pandora charms outlet

7/26/2018

 
Blogger Unknown said...

moncler outlet
ugg boots
christian louboutin shoes
nike huarache femme
coach factory outlet
valentino shoes
ed hardy uk
ralph lauren outlet
moncler jackets
kate spade outlet
0dw8212

8/22/2018

 
Blogger zzyytt said...

vapormax
off white
adidas ultra boost
chrome hearts online
coach outlet sale
nike air max 2018
lacoste polo
golden goose
kyrie 3
kevin durant shoes

10/11/2018

 
Blogger yanmaneee said...

kyrie shoes
air jordan
supreme clothing
supreme new york
retro jordans
lebron shoes
birkin bag
lebron 18
curry 8
a bathing ape

7/21/2021

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home