Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Sunday, December 12, 2004

Bohemia vs. the underground

I'm reading Laren Stover's Bohemian Manifesto right now, and it's a fun read that hits close to home a lot of the time, since my pink house is a mess of candles, vintage furniture and decor, books and guitar equipment. Stover describes historical Bohemian types like the Beats and the post-WWI Auntie Mame types, as well as modern-day hippie types like Phish followers or middle-aged herbal tea enthusiasts. So far, she completely avoids the rock underground, who I would consider heirs of Bohemia just as much as people who make a living selling tie-dye.

Last night at Beerland there was a punk rock prom to raise money for the Austin Music Network. It was basically an excuse to see what kind of outlandish formal wear people would wear. And the local punk rock and indie people didn't disappoint, even though it was too cold to be wearing, say, a sleeveless dress in my opinion. (I wore a turtleneck, but I did wear my leather pants in some semblance of celebration.) There were women who just went with the tackiest, poofiest 80s dresses you could find, some who felt this was the proper occasion to put their beehive hairdo talents to work, and one girl who thought one black slip + one see-through babydoll nightie with pink ribbon=one prom dress, especially with a huge pink bow in her hair to match. (She was the lead singer of the first band, The Sweethearts, which my friend and I liked the best out of the line-up.)

And I thought to myself, since I'm reading this book, that I know a lot of eccentric, march to the beat of their own drummer type people, and most of them are hugely into punk rock, or at least indie of some sort. There is little doubt in my mind that Bohemia, constantly morphing, is best expressed now by the DIY, punk sorts. I see Auntie Mame all over again when I see things like a friend's Christmas tree that she decorates every year with devils and Dia de los Muertos skeletons.

But the scene that we cluster around is more the rock underground, which no one would really call Bohemia. So, what's the difference? Is it just cosmetic? (Rock vs. jazz?) Or is there something substantially different about the shake-'em-up scensters of today compared to the ones of yesteryear?

5 Comments:

Blogger Phila said...

Here's my 1/50th of a dollar. I got involved with punk stuff circa 1980, and spent about the next 20 years playing in bands that comprised part of an ever-more-extreme subculture. In the end, I found I had to get away from it for my own sanity. I found it simultaneously too rigid and too lax; too judgmental, and not judgmental enough. Though I still have a tenuous connection with it, it's on my own terms these days. Younger friends of mine seem to go through the same things in their own bands (or art scenes, or whatever), and my parents, who were active in the beat scene, had the same complaints. It's as though there's a certain structure that underlies bohemian life, no matter what its supposed focus is...it first brings people together, and then drives them apart...partially through growth, and partially through familiarity breeding contempt. All of which is fine, as long as one acknoweledges the ephemeral nature of youth culture. But I know a few people who, at forty, are pretending to be sixteen...utterly terrifying! All in all, I've lost most of whatever romanticism I had about it. And I still regularly have nightmares about some of the people I used to be in bands with!

12/12/2004

 
Blogger Amanda Marcotte said...

One thing I do love about Austin is that it's very laid back. Being a rigid scenester here is considered sort of shameful. I don't tend to meet too many super-judgemental types. I think that's why I rarely see any kind of implosions like the one you're describing.

12/12/2004

 
Blogger Phila said...

Sounds great...I hope the attitude spreads! Out here on the Coast, the urge to be cool at all costs still reigns supreme, I'm afraid. It's not that people are "rigid" exactly...it's that they're acting open-minded and eclectic and artistic and everything, without actually being that way. Everything's so self-conscious out here!

I played in Austin once or twice, years and years ago, on an outdoor stage at some gay bar called (if memory serves) "Changes" or "Chances." I hung around there for a few days, and it was indeed very "laid back." A great town, full of very nice, enthusiastic people! Haven't been back since, but it sounds like it hasn't changed much!

12/12/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I have a fairly new website that has been online for about 8 months. I looked at alot of websites that are in my area black clock wall . So my wife and I thought since we love horses we should build a website around that. I didn;t realize it would be so time consuming though. But we love it and hope to improve and offer some of the best recourses and products available. Hence the search for content new products and information about what we have. If you decide to come and visit maybe you can offer some advice That would be great. If not well you have A great new year. We hope to soon start a new site for horse adoption and rescue. Hopefully in the spring.

Thank you for your BLOG.

Regards,

black clock wall

1/19/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, I have came by in search of information. I was told that blogs have some of the best and most relevent information for any given subject. Mine happens to be a 8 clock melody seiko wall gift website that has anything from jewelry to horse tack. So I am looking for new products and information based on 8 clock melody seiko wall to offer my customers and possibly some good marketing ideas for my website.

Websites that I have and all the work involved in keeping several of them going and updating blogs I am at best posting once a month.

I have enjoyed your blog and am thankfull to be able to sort of pick your brain without actually bothering you.

I want to grow and build my website to be the best and know I have much to learn and fix to even come close.

I have been online for 8 months now so yes we are very young.

We have taken what we love and have turned it into a business.
I hope you come by to visit. I am not trying to sale you anything but would love to here if you have any ideas.

Thank you for your time.
8 clock melody seiko wall

1/19/2006

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home