Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Thursday, May 13, 2004

Bribing people to read the InstaPundit blogroll

MaxSpeak is having a "meanest comment ever on the InstaPundit blogroll" contest for $50. Well, I could use the money but I don't have the stomach. I guess I'll have to keep selling my dirty socks on Ebay instead.

Updated to add: This is the funniest shit ever. I needed a good laugh. Of course, it's kind of scary, too. I have heard lots of people make roughly this argument that is one of the contest entries:

If my son were black, I would give him a similar speech. I would tell him that life ain't fair and life ain't easy. If it were, then any a**hole could do it. But a**holes don't succeed. [Bill O'Reilly? -ed.] Hard workers do. And when you start out playing against a stacked deck, the LAST THING you do is make matters worse for yourself by acting like some f***ing moron at the drop of a hat.
Why don't so-called "black leaders" give the same kind of advice today? Yeah, son. Life is going to be tougher for you than it is for the rich white boy down the street. But don't b**ch about that fact. Become determined to overcome the odds, work harder, be smarter and want it more than he does. You're never a loser unless you decide to be one. You can win if you believe that you are a winner. That's your choice to make.


I have heard this argument to justify both racism and sexism. In the spirit of kindness, honestly, I have had older male relatives and other authority figures tell me this that unfortunately I'm a woman so I can't give into laziness. They insinuated or outright said that women make less than men because women are lazy. Every one of these men, to the very last one, has or had a wife who works full time for less pay than he does and when they get home from work, his hardworking ass parks in front of the TV while her lazy ass makes dinner, cleans, and generally does some child care. Women are lazy, so they make less. Simple, see?
I use sexism because the fact that it's nonsense is easy to prove in the very home lives of sexists. However, the same principle applies to black/white, poor/rich. I don't see any evidence that whites work harder, in fact, I see the opposite. And it's well known that the richer a person is, the less getting down on his knees and scrubbing he's going to do.
I guess I get annoyed by this argument because otherwise nice people have fallen for it.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I caught myself thinking force is the only these wingnuts will understand and felt really sick.

More topical, from workplace observations I've found that bigots tend to be repressed over-achievers whose "productivity" is self-defeating. They do a lot of things, but what they do has little value. It's work that shouldn't be necessary. They make things complicated seemingly out of the conviction that an harassed appearance makes them look good. When things crash and burn, they look for scapegoats. Anyone who fits their obsession du jour will do. It needn't make any kind of real world sense. I'd rather they just stayed home and smoked pot.

Harry.

5/13/2004

 
Blogger 夜之剑 said...

Hey, great blog! Keep it up.

I have a music online shopping site. It pretty much covers music online shoppingrelated stuff.

Come and have a look if you get time :-)

11/07/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a nice web site here, it looks like you sacrificed some quality golf time building this. I just added you to my favorite's file and will be returning to see if there is anything new.

Like most people that post here I also have a making money on the internet web site. If you can find the time (when you're not checking the fairways to ensure they are displaying a proper divot) come on over and see if your might give me your professional opinion on my web site. Good luck with your venture! Oh...don't forget to bring your left-handed clubs. ;-)

Cya at the top!
Al Fanucchi Jr
Founder of SIDEjob.com
------------------------------------
Get Paid Daily!
www.sidejob.com

11/09/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shop at your favorite stores 24 hours a day. Why go to the mall when you can shop online and avoid the traffic

1/19/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I also have a web site & blog about web hosting sites so I know I'm talking
about when I say yours is top-notch! Keep up the
great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please visit my site web hosting sites
Best success!

2/06/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Earn residual income for a lifetime.

2/08/2006

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home