Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Monday, May 10, 2004

Polarization hits home

I live in what you might call a blue city in the middle of the state that has become the symbol of the worst kind of conservatism, the kind born of fear and stupidity and a misplaced regard for fake, John Wayne-ish masculinity from which our President came--Texas. It's a little unfair. We're not all that bad. But there is a vein of truth to the whole stereotype of the dumb redneck Texas, and Austin is bizarrely the result of that. Austin is an oasis, a place for people to flee who like being Texans with the cowboy boots and Lone Star beer, but don't agree whatsoever with the rising tide of racist, sexist, xenophobic redneckism that is taking over most of our state. The great joke of Austin is that almost everyone here is from somewhere else in Texas, having left behind families of varying degrees of downright embarrassing conservative ignorance. Me, I don't feel so bad myself. My family votes Republican, sure. But they don't hang around saying "nigger" all the time and they could care less if I live in sin and they are proud of me. We cheerfully agree to disagree on certain things but mostly we get along.
And most of my friends in this situation have a similiar way of dealing with their families. We blow off steam by laughing at those we kind of consider backwards hicks and they laugh at us and call us potheads and silly liberals and everyone drinks a Lone Star and agrees that Willie Nelson can write a good song. But in the past few years, the gap between the liberal runaways and the folks back home who voted for Bush has grown larger and larger and I don't know quite what to think about it.
A couple of weeks ago, I was hanging out with some friends and we were laughing and joking about politics. And suddenly, a girl said, "I still can't believe that Bush won. Who voted for him? No one here! I don't know anyone who voted for him." Well, we all had to point out that we knew people who voted for him, our friends and families back home. But yes, it was true. No one that we would spend time with probably voted for Bush. I went to a party with someone who admitted voting for Bush a couple months ago and I could hardly believe it. I couldn't believe that he would want to be around us.
Because lately it seems that after we leave our insular little liberal world, there is always the threat of being stared at or lectured or worse. Even if people mean well, it has become highly likely that you will be out reconnecting with the people back home and suddenly someone will start ragging on, say, homosexuals and next thing you know you are staring at your shoes and not knowing what is worse, being rude and correcting another party guest or being awful and not defending people in your life back home.
On the other side of it is the awful, deadening realization that people you have known and loved all your life are beginning to suspect that you are lost to some sort of nebulous enemy and they are pulling up the ladder. I have had friends accused of hating their country by their own families for not wanting to vote for Bush. Only semi-jokingly was my mother told that I shouldn't live in Austin, because I will "turn queer".
And now my poor boyfriend has been made to feel like he is trying to corrupt the youth of America. Upon finding out that his little sister who is graduating high school has chosen to stay in Beaumont for college (a choice he feels was made under more than a little pressure from the family) he thought it might be nice to bring her up to Austin for a visit for a few days for a graduation gift. I thought it was a great idea, as my aunt took me to Denver for a couple weeks of concerts and whatnot after I graduated so I didn't have to spend my entire summer hanging out in boring ass West Texas. But when he suggested this to his older sister he was told that his little sister cannot come to Austin. And pretty much because they are afraid that liberal, pot-smoking Austin will corrupt her in two days flat.
Of course, beyond being made to feel like a pariah, the whole situation has a sort of humorous bent. It's a textbook example of conservatives accusing liberals of doing exactly what they themselves are doing. In this case, by asking if he can take the girl to a rock show and a park and a restaraunt or two he is being all but accused of indocrination by people who are actively trying to keep her from knowing that there is even a shadow of a world outside of Beaumont. I wasn't overly shocked, since I spend a gazillion hours a week reading about people who are accusing liberals of trying to push a certain set of sexual values on kids and using that as an excuse to legally push their sexual morals and only their sexual morals on kids.
But mostly it's just sad. Rush Limbaugh and Pat Robertson and Ann Coulter and our Great Leader may think it's all fun and games to demonize liberalism to score political points, but people out there take what they say very seriously. When crass political operatives invoke people's sincere religious beliefs to score political points, they are toying with actual people with actual feelings and beliefs. And it's tearing families and friends apart and alienating people from their own homes and backgrounds. The sad thing is that then the Limbaughs of the world then look at us in our alienation and spit on us and call us "elitists".
But what's "elitism"? My boyfriend was told, "Everyone who goes to Austin turns weird," and then the whole city was accused of being moronic potheads. It's not that there aren't liberals who look down their noses at the "red" areas. Hell, my friends and I find making fun of the hick towns we come from to be a good old time, which is our right as survivors. Nonetheless, there's no doubt whose opinions get to dominate when we gather together for family and friend type reunions.
So fuck off, Limbaugh, etc. I'm tired of being nice and not jumping all over people who make ignorant and mean remarks to me while I just stare at my shoes. I'm tired of being told that I'm trying to indoctrinate people because I believe they should be allowed to know what all their options are. If that makes me an elitist, so be it. More people should be elitists if elitism means the desire to spread tolerance and education.

18 Comments:

Blogger Campaign Staff said...

It's even worse when you live in California - Every relative you have gets to claim your views as not worth considering, owing to your residence. It's usually either A) because you live somewhere supposedly disconnected from reality, (Hollywood, the beach, and TV land, etc), or B) so swimming in liberalism that you couldn't possibly not be biased.

It became so furstrating that I began pointing out to my brainwashed relatives that 2 of the most bizarre conservatives ever (Nixon, Reagan) were both Californians, just to shut them up long enough for them to consider that my view that gay people ought to be treated like human beings ought to be treated as the thinking of someone with an actual, functioning brain.

I'm often terrified at the disconnection between conservaties and liberals, not only in views, but in lifestyle choices and general pastimes. How much longer america can handle this before something snaps is a question that keeps me up at night.

5/10/2004

 
Blogger Amanda Marcotte said...

Yeah, the gay marriage thing really brought alot of stuff to the surface. Honestly, for a great deal of the liberal straight people who adamantly support it, it's more than just the principle of the thing. We actually have an inkling of what it's like to be on the receiving end of disapproval (though certainly not to the extent). For instance, another friend of mine was recently on the receiving end of a long letter from a supposed friend accusing her of trying to undermine good women who get married. Why? Well, she committed the horrid crime of passing her 30th birthday without getting married and therefore is all but trying to Destroy America.

5/11/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should -- if you want to be largely but not wholly reassured -- walk on into the gay marriage debate here in Canada. To boil it down, pretty much every provincial court in the land has held that restricting "marriage" (the civil variety, not the religious) to men and women is a violation of the Charter (our Bill of Rights). Fine, and the measurable and significant majority of Canadians support this. [We Canadians have a TON of faults, but, for the most part, we like to leave other people to live their lives without interference. The personal invasiveness of much American political debate is much distrusted and feared here.]

Where the problem arises is what we can call the Angry Stream and the Confused Stream. The Angry Stream are the haters. Let's face it: if there is anything that helps queers that are agin' it. Ignore them. If it wasn't the Queers it'd be the Immigrants and if it wasn't the Immigrants it'd be the Cocobunnies. I repeat: Ignore them. They are a tiny splinter in Canada, generally categorized by Right and Left Alike under the useful heading "What an a**hole". A Canadian's inclination towards politeness is always stronger than his sympathy for lack of sympathy.

The Confused Stream, though, is more worrisome, largely because it is so often populated by decent, caring people who are, well.. let's be honest, just plain nice... and just plain wrong in their understanding of reality.

Yes, many of its members are angry about the gay marriage concept, and fear for the integrity of their faiths. (This is where the basic decency comes in. I am not a religious type myself, but damn me if I want somebody else's religion to be interfered with.) I characterize them as "Confused" because they cannot distinguish between religious marriage, blessed by a Church, and civil marriage, which is a purely legal formula originating in the state. To hear many of the Confused Stream talk, you would think that the federal government was going to have black-clad Mounties breaking down the doors at the local Anglican Church and telling the parishoners to marry Sam and Frank.. Or Else! Total nonsense, of course. The Charter protects Churches and the integrity of their faiths and services every bit as much as it protects the gays, but try telling that to somebody who is enjoying the temperature in the waters of the Confused Stream.

It really is a straightforward division: the state can't pick and choose who and to what extent civil liberties are granted based on Bonking Preference. The state is likewise precluded from telling those of Faith that they must (Must!) marry Pam and Penny. Freedom and Respect in equibalance. Where the problems arise is where people on one side or another believe that their rights involve treading on another's rights. And THAT's where we bland Canadians start hissing at each other.

But we do it politely. It can be a very odd country.

6/09/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!
Great blog!! I will make sure of coming back often.
If You really are interested in trendy cowboy boot I can
recommend this very informative site trendy cowboy boot
Here You will find a complete directoty of trendy cowboy boot

10/18/2005

 
Blogger 夜之剑 said...

I'm new to blogging and I like you're one

I have a cat gift great gift website. It offers loads of cat gift, become a lord, pamper gifts, personalised gifts, all types of gadgets, gifts fo him and gifts for her

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

10/29/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I really like this one. I have a website that talks mostly about bulk email marketing You should check it out sometime.

10/31/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drop on by and browse through a huge archive of dumb blonde joke

This is one of the many jokes i found amongst the many joke categorys:
A man walks into his favorite bar and saw a bum panhandeling. The bum asked if the man could spare a dollar. The man replied "If I give you money are you going to use it to buy liquor?" The bum said he would not, so the man asked "If I give you money are you going to use it for gambling?" Again the bum said he would not, so the man asked "Would you come home with me so I can show my wife what happenes to someone who doesnt gamble or drink?"

11/03/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GROW IT YOURSELF!

11/05/2005

 
Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/06/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very true!!!!!! www.theoriginb2.co.uk

11/12/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if u want an ipod, you can go to www.getipodsforfree.com and do an offer. follow the instructions and they'll actually send you a freeipod, no joke, there's reviews all over the internet

11/17/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there ##name##.

12/25/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the info

1/06/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Out blogging about looking at other blogs about xelr8 You never know what your going to see or who you might run into.http://www.1xelr8.com

1/07/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christmas is just around the corner. No time to go to the mall...then do your shopping online. We sell everything that the mall sells. Shop today!

1/18/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Blog. It's nice. Here's a subject that may interest you; investment property refinance http://thehomemortgageguide.com STOP renting now, Find out how! investment property refinance

2/01/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is wow what a great job! The other half and I just got back from our friends house (well actually her friends house) and I needed a big break. I am working on a business project right now that is based on home owner insurance pa. I have literally been on-line for 4-5 hours doing research. Even though your blog really isn�t on the same page as home owner insurance pa I am certainly glad I came across your blog. There are a ton of great view points on this blog. Well I think I can here the kids screaming in the background. I put you in my internet favorites and I will certainly come back and visit. If you want to take a peek at my site you can find me here at http://www.homeowner-insurance-quote.com. I update my site very frequently. Again, great job blogging and I will be back again soon!

3/02/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

financial freedom senior funding

2/11/2007

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home