Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Sunday, July 18, 2004

Martha Stewart

Blondesense defends Martha so you don't have to.  I myself dislike the arty farty crap Martha does, but I will say that I never had a problem with her.  Hating Martha Stewart perplexes me.  So she gardens and cooks and decorates and she's rich.  So what?  Martha's corporation is a big, souless corporation like they all are, but at least she's not poisoning the water or anything like that.  She puts out a magazine with impossibly ornate desserts in it.  Big deal. 
There is little to no doubt that Martha Stewart was singled out because she's famous and she's a woman.  With corporations going belly up left and right due to fraud, someone had to take a perp walk, if only for the sake of P.R.  Who better than a woman who's independently wealthy?  It's easy to get people to hate women--much easier than it is to get them to hate men. 
That's why I'm amused by this comment on Blondesense.
 
Women have issues with successful women. It is sooo true. The women I work with are not happy that I am so different than them.
 
Even when defending a woman, people need to blame a woman, or women in general.  News flash:  the people that singled Martha Stewart out and put her in jail were mostly M-E-N.  Make what you will of that fact.

4 Comments:

Blogger Elayne said...

I understand what you're saying, but I still can't get behind someone who allegedly abused her employees the way Stewart did as some sort of feminist cause de celebre.

7/18/2004

 
Blogger Amanda Marcotte said...

Oh, agreed. She's not a feminist hero or anything--but it's worth noting that her sex is 1/2 the reason they went after her.

7/19/2004

 
Blogger Liz Blondsense said...

I'm not sure I believe all the bad stuff people say about Martha at work. I think a lot of it is sour grapes. She doesn't appear to be an angel either... but who the hell cares anyway?

So what if she is a fucking bitch from hell? Why is it that if a woman is bitchy it makes all the news. If a man is a prick, it doesn't make the news, does it? This liberal media is really pissing me off. :)

I don't know why I felt like defending martha. She has a place in the world. It's not for everyone but for some, she uplifted their lives a bit.
Thank you for the link. :)

7/19/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hear, hear! -- Omar

7/25/2004

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home