Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

MSN reminding you not to forget your stereotypes

Yesterday, there wasn't a good gender-enforcing article on the MSN home page. AIDS coverage took the top spot in articles aimed directly at women, which is actually a pretty good thing.
But we're back in the saddle today with an article reminding moms that boys and girls really are different. It's the same tedious retreads--boys are fun-loving and rowdy, girls talk too much and are catty. And it's all inborn, so there's nothing you can do about it. After reading this article, it's hard to imagine anyone who would want a daughter at all. I mean, who would want a crying, sniping, catty kid over one who occasionally knocks over a vase?
Even though the writer does use quotes from other people who insist that not everything about kids is directly caused by the boy/girl dichotomy, it's clear where the author stands on this--girls are a pain in the ass, they're catty, and there's not much you can do to change that, because it's biological. Hell, female traits even irritate other women, you see?

I wonder, too, since so many of the mothers I spoke to seem to find boys easier, whether many of us see in our daughters the gender-based traits we dislike in ourselves and therefore tend to react more negatively.

It's not as socially acceptable anymore to blatantly wish for sons instead of daughters. Instead, we just say that daughters are harder than sons. But in this switch, we've managed to retain justifications for our sexism--if girls are harder, blame biology, not society. If they are catty and vain, surely it's the estrogen and not a society that teaches them from an early age that they are in constant competition with other women and the winner is determined mostly by looks. If boys are more easygoing and self-assured, well, it must be that wonderful testosterone and not that they are praised, admired and indulged more by parents and teachers.
Really, it almost makes me a teeny bit nostaglic for the older reasons that sons were preferred, because at least they were straightforward. Well, not really, but I do wish that people would see how this stereotyping is harmful to the very girls that they are trying to raise.

11 Comments:

Blogger Liz Blondsense said...

I so wanted a girl when I was pregnant. When I found out it was a boy I was disappointed. Seriously. But once he was born I fell in love with him anyway.

A bunch of my girlfriends had daughters. I hate to say this.. but I am so glad I had a son. whew.

But maybe my girlfriends were just bad moms. Maybe I would have been a good mom to a daughter and we wouldn't have had any problems. I'll never know. I was only able to get pregnant once. Now I'm too old to do it again. I am really happy I had my son though. My girlfriends daughters are whiney little bitches. LOL

7/14/2004

 
Blogger Amanda Marcotte said...

I've always said that if I had kids, I would rather have sons. But not because I think girls are harder or worse or anything, but because I know that parents of daughters just suffer fear for them more, because girls are just so much more vulnerable to a whole host of problems.
Of course, boys are more likely to get themselves killed or arrested, so it's a draw in alot of ways.

7/14/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

endless number of these wonderful finds, what with the Internet being a vast network of constantly evolving ideas and all!

11/03/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to all of the major RSS feed directories on the Internet.

11/06/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey did you know you can get a free ipod pretty easily?
just go to www.getipodsforfree.com, sign up and do an offer

11/17/2005

 
Blogger Webmaster said...

Nice blog on mp3 download site. I promote a site mp3 download site you may wish to check out. Thanks.

11/17/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there. Nice blog. Interesting posts. Looking for updated information about stocks. Not quite what I had in mind, but very nice read none the less. I have a stocksrelated site. Maybe visit if you have time Free-Cash-Site.com. Thanks.

12/12/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site you have here, I bookmarked it! I was looking for about penis enlargement or something like it. Very informative.

I have a about penis enlargement related site.

Check it out when you can. ;)

1/17/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

1/22/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Search engine optimization, submission and highly-targeted traffic can be found exclusively at www.TheOnlinePromoters.com

1/29/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

acne pill

Here's some useful info on acne pill which you might be looking for. The url is:
http://www.acnetreatment1.com/

11/17/2006

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home