Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Sunday, August 22, 2004

Um, of course we were always funny, but it might have been over your head

Tom Tomorrow attacks the stereotype of the humorless left and the bullshit lie that we've suddenly discovered the funny.

The right makes it a habit to take that which is a strength of the left, claim it for its own and leave it at that. That's all that happened with the humor. Conservatives are by nature pretty humorless; defending the institutions of power is not really the biggest laugh-riot. But all they had to say was that the left was humorless, and it suddenly became true. They have yet to prove that the right is funny at all.

But I have found the best defense. Whenever anyone claims that the right has humor and the left doesn't, start laughing hysterically. Agree and then tell this joke. "How do jokes in Westlake (naturally, pick your local rich, white, Republican suburb) always begin?" Then look over your shoulders like you're checking to make sure no one is in earshot.

Of course, there are times when someone tells an offensive joke and then wants to harass you for not having a sense of humor. Telling someone that racist, sexist, etc. humor offends you only confirms the lie that liberals have no sense of humor. I prefer humiliation. When the joke is dumb and you are looked on to laugh, just say, "Oh, do people still think that's funny? How cute." That tends to dry that up pretty fast.

7 Comments:

Blogger Earnest said...

I don't think it was so much that the right was funny as it was that they were fun. As a former editor of what was OU's only progressive newspaper on campus, I would try to inject a sense of humor into the paper (my natural arena is comedy), and the rest of the staff would fight me every step of the way. Meanwhile, the right's "Fountainhead," started in response to our "Undercurrent" was almost always fun if not funny, and as a result, I could see that it was quickly becoming the more popular of the two weeklies on campus. The right was just more willing to have fun on our campus. Things were probably different down at UT, but that was the state of things at OU.

8/22/2004

 
Blogger Amanda Marcotte said...

But you went to OU! We are mortal enemies!
Okay, kidding. I actually went to a small, Catholic uni.
Either way, no, the conservatives are not more fun. They think they are. It's a delusion. Occasionally, when I'm out partying and all that other non-priggish crap I do I manage to attract a Republican dude who thinks he can hang. Their politics annoy me, that they think they can annoy me into bed annoys me even more, and that they think they are alot of fun despite evidence to the contrary is really annoying. Conseratives think they have found the funnest fun around, which is to seek out the handful of priggish liberals and say racist or sexist things to them to make them mad. I say that's not nearly as fun as the things we liberals get to do while nekkid, 'specially seeing how we don't have to apologize for being big stinking hypocrites.

8/22/2004

 
Blogger Amanda Marcotte said...

But you went to OU! We are mortal enemies!
Okay, kidding. I actually went to a small, Catholic uni.
Either way, no, the conservatives are not more fun. They think they are. It's a delusion. Occasionally, when I'm out partying and all that other non-priggish crap I do I manage to attract a Republican dude who thinks he can hang. Their politics annoy me, that they think they can annoy me into bed annoys me even more, and that they think they are alot of fun despite evidence to the contrary is really annoying. Conseratives think they have found the funnest fun around, which is to seek out the handful of priggish liberals and say racist or sexist things to them to make them mad. I say that's not nearly as fun as the things we liberals get to do while nekkid, 'specially seeing how we don't have to apologize for being big stinking hypocrites.

8/22/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

IMO, everybody who says feminists have no sense of humor should be locked in a room with nothing to read but "Dykes to Watch Out For."

Isabeau

8/24/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wtf toilet

11/04/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

intro greene batteries ibsas globeofblogs rhassociates kodakara blackboard acad publication artf
servimundos melifermuly

1/25/2010

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

assertion wordbust vista tsismanmeb pillohard pathway unions roadhouses directs ethnic weakly
servimundos melifermuly

1/27/2010

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home