Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Locking up women--the only real way to help them

Great, just great.

Far from being callous brutes, Victorian-era British husbands who declared their post-natally depressed spouses mad and had them locked up may have been doing them a favor, a scientist said on Tuesday.

Doctor Cath Quinn of Exeter University's Center for Medical History said the broad label of "puerperal insanity" applied to the supposedly mad mothers covered such a broad array of symptoms that it helped the women identify with each other and aided recovery.

By contrast, the multitude of different tags now attached to post-natal mental illness made sufferers more isolated and was therefore more likely to exacerbate the condition. "In losing the puerperal insanity label, we have lost something valuable that helps women today contextualize their experiences" she told reporters at the annual meeting of the British Association for the Advancement of Science (news - web sites).

Look, I don't disagree that women who suffer from post-partum problems often do so in isolation, but I hardly think locking them up with other sufferers is the only alternative. I hope that this scientist just imbedded this point into a larger, more intelligent theory on how sufferers of post-partum depression would be better served if there were more widespread social acceptance that it even exists. But whether she was or not, I sure as hell hope that the idea that lock in the home vs. lock in an institution are not our only two choices when dealing with new mother's relatively common mental health issues.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool post -- but I think you're missing a negative somewhere in your final sentence:

But whether she was or not, I sure as hell hope that the idea that lock in the home vs. lock in an institution are our only two choices when dealing with new mother's relatively common mental health issues.

9/07/2004

 
Blogger Amanda Marcotte said...

Doh! I fixed it.

9/07/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw something similar about book shopping

10/19/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes, these gambles pay off, but there are occasions when they fail miserably,

11/03/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And A Link Back To Your Web Site Excite You?

11/07/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My site is in a similar niche and some might find it as useful. I have a submissive male erection and ejaculation related site focusing on submissive male erection and ejaculation related topics.
Not what I was searching for, but none the less an interesting blog here. Thanks for putting it up. I've enjoyed reading alot of the text here. I got you bookmarked for the future, I'll be back.

1/11/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm always on the lookout for other people interested in penis enlargement program. Glad I found you. Another site I would recommend on the subject is penis enlargement program Happy Day.

1/12/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of the most useful information I came across today. When searching for safe penis enlargement , I had come across your site. Always a pleasure to see other blogs related to my site safe penis enlargement Keep up the great work.

1/12/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm always on the lookout for other people interested in top penis enlargement. Glad I found you. Another site I would recommend on the subject is top penis enlargement Happy Day.

1/14/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a similar site connected to penis enlargement procedure Come by some time.
I with out a doubt like your site, will book mark it! This post is fine stuff.

1/14/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you sure got a super blog here. Very interesting stuff. I've already put a book mark on it.

Pity I spend so much time blog-surfing that I often neglect my own. Silly me. :) But its so adictive.

Anyway, a lot of people are trying to make cash online nowadays, so I thought I'd help you out with a site that has some great tools.

about penis enlargement
Not bad to sit around doing nothing while your bank balance keeps growing. :)

1/14/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mental health middlesex can be a devastating disease that affects millions of individuals and families. Find the right mental health middlesex program for yourself or a loved. It will be the first day of the rest of their or your life.

You can get more assistance at http://www.healthlistings.com .

2/10/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the same subject line, it's interesting how many people look for information about erection man . I also like learning more about erection man One of the sites I find very informative is erection man I've learned alot from them.

3/14/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Non-Surgical Breast Enhancement and Lift!

2/07/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

married personals

3/06/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Again, I love your post! Just like the others. Please keep it up!
---
medical billing companies in Georgia - medical professionals' leading Software

1/14/2013

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home