Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Friday, September 17, 2004

Speaking of music....

The Austin City Limits Festival is this weekend, meaning that blogging may be heavy or light depending on what my schedule looks like. If you're going, recommendations:

Friday
Friday is looking kind of meager. A number of friends have shows they swear up and down on, but I don't swear up and down on their taste.

*Mostly we're interested in seeing Franz Ferdinand at 8:00, having heard a couple of their songs and liking them. Otherwise, I know shit, so don't come crying to me if you don't like them.
*For country fans, Rosanne Cash is coming back after canceling last year due to the very immediate death of her father.
*Don't believe the hype. Bob Schneider sucks ass.
*However, if you want to catch an authentic local Austin act that will actually be fun, you must catch Dale Watson. If you ever wondered what the appeal of country/rockabilly is, he'll make it clear.

Saturday
Much better. *Ahhh*
*The main attraction is the last show, which begins at 8:45--The Pixies. Squelch your pointless objections. That is what I call the knee-jerk hipster reaction--the automatic desire to hate something because everyone else is excited. Get over it. It makes you annoying. You got into the subculture because you liked music; act like it once in awhile. All the cool kids like The Pixies in the day. Nothing has changed.
*I somewhat hate to say it, because they aren't my cup of tea, but if you like that sort of laid-back, kinda alt-country whatever music, you'll like The Gourds.
*I've never seen Cat Power live. It's early so I probably won't make it. But I will say that I think she's pretty cool.
*I've seen the Old 97's. I'm sorry, but I don't get it. Maybe it's because I know country, and that ain't it.
*We're totally going to see Modest Mouse.

Sunday
Last day. Don't be too hungover, as they put some good stuff on Sunday, those fuckers.
*Again, I'm there to see Elvis Costello at 4:30. Anyone who is not excited about this is on my shitlist right now.
*American Analog Set is a great band doing an early set.
*The Roots will be there if you like that kind of thing.
*Funky, weird, highly entertaining Drive-By Truckers are well worth checking out if you've never heard of them before.
*Spoon is a local band that is better than most.
*Some people have a strange urge to see Wilco. Once again, I don't get it.
*Cake is going to the be the biggest draw on Sunday.
*But we're probably going to go see Medeski, Martin & Wood.

11 Comments:

Blogger None said...

Franz Ferdinand's CD was such a disappointment to me. If this is the best Scotland can do (and I love Scotland), they should just give up. Take Me Out is a neat, catchy song, and there was another one about a matinee that wasn't too bad, but the rest of the CD is bland. :(

9/17/2004

 
Blogger Amanda Marcotte said...

I like Cake, but going to see the most popular show at ACL is pretty much a clusterfuck. We'll be burned out on that at the Pixies.

9/17/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda, I'm excited for you (and a little jealous!) about seeing Elvis Costello. Send the man a kiss for me, would you?

And Franz Ferdinand are alright, but definitely not the best thing to come out of Scotland. That distinction belongs to Dogs Die in Hot Cars, whose music is just as silly as their band name.

--Annamaria

9/17/2004

 
Blogger Amanda Marcotte said...

He's old and pudgy and balding, but yeah, I'll probably still swoon. Yes Elvis!

9/17/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, I didn't know Bumbershoot traveled to Austin. :)

--Linnaeus

9/17/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting reading... Keep up the good work...

Regards,
Emini Futures Day Trader
emini trading course

12/31/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How warm is it down south these days?
3.13 datapilot

1/12/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi , I was out blog surfing looking for some info on compare cellular phone plan when I ended up on your page. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about compare cellular phone plan at the site above.

1/16/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda, very unique blog you have! I was looking for beyonce music related information and came across your Speaking of music..... Very good info, I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a beyonce music site where you can get music of some of today's top artists' such as Green Day, Gwen Stefani, Simple Plan, Usher and many more. Please visit it. If you have a similar site and would like to exchange links, please contact me through my website. :)

1/20/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to say "Thanks" for a very nice blog. Lots of crap out there. Diamond in the rough kind of thing. Cheers.
free cell phone

1/21/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

1/22/2006

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home