Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

I actually like John Kerry

I know it's forbidden to say so--it violates the hip left's tenet that one should be cynical at all times and that Democrats are what we hold our nose and vote for if we don't have the guts to vote for a third party. But since he's been nominated, I've been reading up on him to make sure that he doesn't have lurking demons that might derail his Presidency and I've walked away with the impression that Kerry is a man with a great deal of intergrity. Yeah, yeah, yeah--for a politician.

Like lawyers, everyone hates politicians until we need one. Except lately--the raw hatred for politics has managed to eclipse our common sense on both the right and left and there are those on both sides who are grasping desperately for candidates that are somehow not politicians. To settle on someone requires a great deal of self-delusion. On the right, they just accept the bald-faced lie that Bush is Not a Politician by taking evidence that he's just a really bad one and pretending that means somehow that he's not one. On the left, we got snookered by Ralph Nader who is still playing the Not a Politician game, but less of us are buying into it.

I live in Austin, the tail end of the Hill Country, one of the most schizo places in the nation politically. We have both prehensile conservatives lurking around and some of the most thoughtful progressives in the country. Texas put Tom DeLay on the Hill, yes, but we also put Barbara Jordan up there. From this vantage, it's hard to see what all the fuss is about--yeah, politicians give me the willies but if you need to get something done it's best to have them in your corner. And sometimes you can be offensive in your politics and sometimes you are playing defense.

Right now the Republican party is trying to get a stranglehold on power, and it's they look like their model is the way that the Democrats hung onto Texas for so very long, where no amount of corruption was too much if it meant consolidating power. We need to kick Bush out, because a second term of Bush will make the corruption of his first term look like child's play. And we need someone in there who has some experience wrangling with these corrupt Republicans, because any Democratic President can expect the Republicans to move heaven and earth to destroy him.

I don't know if Kerry is going to be able to derail the massive Republican power grab, but I don't think there's anyone who has more experience than him. He's our best bet--if the Democrats can't break them, the Republicans will push the government to a hard right in ways that we have trouble comprehending. I wish that we could give everyone a good shove to the left right now, I really wish we could. But we need to stop the right wing power grab before we can expect anything progressive to get done. And I suspect that Kerry is the sort of man who will commit himself to that long, hard task in ways that Clinton wasn't capable of.

17 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

This is so right on, Amanda. Lately, I've been impressed with how well Kerry has come across when he has the undivided attention of the country. I really think he has the stuff to be a great president, in the sense of doing things that are right for the country rather than just in an attempt to hold onto power, which is a marked contrast to the current administration, for whom everything, even war, is just a means to their desired end of one party rule in the United States.

I'm still working on getting the Drinking Liberally thing organized. I'll let you know when it gets going. You can email me at shannonmccormick@hotmail.com.

10/13/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree; he's had a long record of effective work on a whole host of issues, from bringing down BCCI (a major funder of terrorist networks) to starting the Iran-Contra investigations to working on relations with Vietnam.

He won't be able to do as much as President if the Dems don't have at least one house of Congress, though.

10/13/2004

 
Blogger Amanda Marcotte said...

I think the Dems are going to take the Senate back, at least. The huge numbers of people who are going to turn out to vote against Bush are going to be voting for Senators and reps, too, and they'll be voting for Democrats mostly.

10/13/2004

 
Blogger Shannon said...

Yeah, I think the Dems are goign to take back the Senate as well, but barely. Maybe one by one vote. And if it's tied 50-50 (or 50-49 plus Jeffords), I expect that Lincoln Chafee from Rhode Island will pull at Jeffords and leave the Republican caucus and join the Dems on prcedural votes.

Plus, a Democrat in the White House might conceivably open up whatremaining moderate Republicans there are left in the House to break ranks with DeLay and the other radical Republican leaders on certain issues.

10/13/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so glad you wrote this!

I, too, like Kerry. The Democratic Party is not a monolith, and Kerry is not Clinton. For all the complaints we hear from both right and left about Kerry's "wishy-washiness" and his tendency to make long-winded, nuanced arguments, he hasn't backed down from even his most controversial, hate-attracting positions (see: Abortion, Partial-Birth).

I think he has quite a lot of integrity and I'm actually pro-Kerry, not anti-Bush, whereas in 2000 I was more anti-Bush than pro-Gore (though Gore's not as bad as he was made out to be, either. Lieberman, on the other hand...) I also agree that he's probably the best person there is to bring back some honesty to our government.

-Linnet

10/13/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy!

I am out spreading the word
to all true supporters of evangelical christianity

I believe that readers of this blog
would be fascinated to read about
the great new book at

evangelical christianity

10/16/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shop at your favorite stores 24 hours a day. Why go to the mall when you can shop online and avoid the traffic

1/14/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still years after watching that movie, The Matrix, I still get chills up and down my spine about how that movie dealt with most everyone being incubated by robots. Almost as creepy as when I was research The Matrix movie and came across this one listing of a site that had nothing to do with my search and it was all about Email domain hosting web. Weird I tell ya.
Email domain hosting web

2/04/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just blogging for a while, found your site that also happens to be around web page hosting, so just saying what's up.

Charles

4/03/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am here because of search results for blogs with a related topic to mine.
Please,accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
I have a make money with site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

7/19/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my tows matrix site.
Have a great day!

7/30/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please make a visit to my .eu domain names site.
Good luck in your endeavors!

8/10/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

Sorry to intrude but I saw your blog, noticed you have anonymous posting enabled and thought you might be interested in this great search engine optimization tool for your blog and website (if you have one) that a techi mate recommended to me. Apparently it's all the rage in the IT arena.

I am involved in affiliate selling building revenue on the web and I've found the best way of promoting my blogs and websites is The amazing link referral program. Don't worry it is absolutely free to join and you can generate visitors to your site by visiting others. It is really quick and easy to set up and the traffic you generate will help your website increase in google ranking. Give it a go now!!

I have generated amazing traffic from this program - increasing my affiliate sales and cannot recommend this enough. Believe me, if you have tried all the other programs on the market that you have had to pay for then you realise this one is the best - and it's free!!!

Best of luck with the blog!! I hope you get as much out of this program as I have ;-)

3/02/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

used car kingston rhode island

3/19/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a home based business for woman site. It pretty much covers home based business for woman related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

3/28/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello... Discover the secrets of the WSdomain web hosting, atdomain web hosting. Good Luck and ThankSS!!

4/13/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a good blog here. I have a free domain name registration
site. It pretty much covers everything related to ##KEYWORD##.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

4/14/2007

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home