Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Friday, November 19, 2004

Another perspective on file-sharing

From Blog Bites, I found this interesting take on file-sharing. I've stated before that file-sharing is probably only an issue to labels and artists who sell a lot of records--your everyday musician probably makes more money from performing than selling records. This guy, Scott Andrew, points out that therefore file-sharing might help, not hurt, musicians who aren't famous.

I'm sure there are people out there who have every song I've ever released on their hard drives, who really like the music, and haven't paid me any cash for it. You could argue that these people have "stolen" from me, but have they really? What if they tell ten friends how much they like it? What if they bring those ten people to my next show? What if they buy my next CD as a result of liking my first one?

He's got a point. When I tell a friend, "Oh, you'd like blah blah band," they forget. If I make them a mix disc with a song by that band, they remember. They may not buy the disc or they may, but they will very likely go to the next show. People who go to a lot of shows in cities like Austin that are clearinghouse cities for new bands collectively exert a lot of influence. A band who spends a year working hard here and building up a loyal audience for their live shows has a potential for a huge payoff at times like SXSW. It's a joke amongst us local yokels how lately we've been practically tackled by record label types and journalists who want to know what local bands to see at SXSW.

Not to say that any of this actually means anything, but it could. It seems to me that the avenues fans have built up to communicate with each other about music, of which file-sharing is one, can't be discounted altogether. It's a publicity machine in its own right.

7 Comments:

Blogger B.D. said...

Remember "Home taping is killing music"? Back in the day, I used to make mix tapes and share them with friends. More often than not this resulted in more music purchases (by obscure artists) and more ticket sales for shows. Home taping only threatened big name artists and their masters, um, I mean "record labels".

I lost a great deal of respect for Bruce Springsteen in the 80s. He was never a favorite of mine, but a former girlfriend loved his work and I respected his work. One day I bought her a bootleg recording of him back in the 70s and on the recording he cried out, "Bootleggers, get you tape machines going" and then led into a song he only performed once in his career. The bootleg was a recording from a radio broadcast. He knew what he was doing and saying. He was building an audience base and a career.

In the mid-80s, Springsteen changed his view after his "Born in the USA" album became a huge hit. He began crusading against bootlegs and against file sharing. That's when he lost my respect on this issue.

My friends and I have actually been introduced to new artists via file sharing and have purchased albums by these groups. Not all artists are sold via services like MusicMatch and iTunes. More obscure material (read: not big record label) can often only be heard on a band's website or via file sharing. Grouper is an interesting piece of software that might help us keep in touch in that we can share files as streaming radio, but they never leave our hard drive.

11/20/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a complete frank recording reprise sinatra studio site/blog. It pretty much covers recording related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-) Join is free for all list your site plus more

11/03/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey did you know you can get a free ipod pretty easily?
just go to www.getipodsforfree.com, sign up and do an offer

11/17/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can i get more info?

1/05/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how can i start a blog

1/10/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I'll be blogged! This is quite a topic you have going here!

popup software

1/15/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can i get more information?

1/16/2006

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home