Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Monday, November 01, 2004

An apology and many, many thoughts

Sorry I haven't posted this weekend. In all honesty, this election has turned mine into a one-track mind. My realistic approach has been severely compromised by participating in the national breath-holding that this election has become. The House of Mouse is so riled up that we actually freaked out when Green Bay won today, not because anyone gives a high holy shit about the Packers, but because we had heard a certain legend. I don't have much to add on the whole subject of the election, so I've bowed out.

That being said, my obsession with gender, sex, etc. has not gone unheeded. Tonight we went to the Dwarves show, a huge event considering the brillance of their new album. As is usual with hard core punk shows, the lonely guy contingent was out in spades. Usually this goes without mention, but tonight was slightly different, mostly because the band that opened for them was a an-girl local band the Applicators who are well-liked and most welcome for those of us in the audience who needed an old-fashioned rocking out. They were great and had fabulous Halloween costumes, coming dressed all at the characters from Kill Bill. During the show we had a blast, but right as they left stage the yearnings of the lonely boy crowd was so thick you had to cut throw it to move.

(Warning: The rest of this post will deal in explicit sexual terms.)

I observed that it's a shame that more women were not comfortable in the punk scene, which is the direct cause of the lonely boy syndrome. This caused my boyfriend to go off. His points were utterly valid and astute and gosh durnnit I'm proud of him. He said it's common sense to note that if women are on stage, then the women in the audience will feel more welcome, more open and therefore they are more likely to come to shows. (This veered off into a long discussion about which I shan't bore you with details.)

The thing that amused me out of the whole discussion was the conclusion--female emancipation benefits men. And since I had a recent encounter with my right wing enemies on this very subject, I was ready to make some connections.

Yesterday we watched a documentary on Trio about the effects of the push for abstinence going on in schools our tax dollars, or at least the citizens of Lubbock, pay for. It's a must-see for anyone concerned about the crap that passes for sex ed in our schools, but it was a real lightening rod for me as well. (Watch it if you have a chance--it makes explicable our inexplicably stupid attitudes.) When I attended school in the Bible Belt, we suffered from some misinformation. But I was truly unaware of how the virginity pledges work--the parental pressure, the social acceptance for taking one, and most importantly being given a ring on your wedding finger, which grants the chastity vow an equivalence to marriage.

I told my mother about all this in breathless tones, and she laughed and told me that my very own cousin had taken such a pledge at the age of 12. I shook my head--I won't lie--I was angry. This girl's older sister had a child out of wedlock at 19 and just recently another at 21 that she didn't want (Jesus forbids abortion, etc. and bullshit like that). When the elder sister first fell pregnant I asked her if she used anything--she did--but she used it badly out of miseducation. In the right world, we wouldn't scold girls for having normal feelings. In the right world, we wouldn't get girls to sign contracts they will almost surely ignore eventually but leave them uneducated on how to protect themselves. I heard my cousin took the pledge at 12 and I just banged my head against the steering wheel and said I hope she's not pregnant at 17.

All this points to reason #1, the most obvious reason, that female emancipation makes men's lives better. Women start emancipation by taking hold of their reproductive potential. Men often resent and fight this, but those who do are only hurting themselves. Women who lose guilt over sex are usually handle the contraception well and make the whole thing a delight.

#2 follows that naturally. It's easy to pick on the lonely guys who hang out at shows. Most of them are good looking, at least decent, and should have no problems with women. So what's the problem? Well, the ugly sexism of the scene cripples the situation. A lot of men are in fact crippled by overly high expectations, but most men I know are crippled by the approach/rejection system.

Not saying that's women's fault, as much as Mens News would have us believe otherwise. But women are pretty much on guard at all times, out of completely reasonable fear. For instance, tonight my boyfriend ducked into a bathroom for a quick pee and in the meantime a creepy dude approached me and challenged me for having a too-thoughtful expression on my face. (I was considering the importance of shock value against what I would consider genuine musical talent--I refuse to apologize for organizing debates in my head.) Safety-minded, I cruelly blew him off and walked away.

I have a boyfriend, but before I did I met many a guy with high expectations--women should be perfect, sweet and somehow independent minded. Female emancipation would relieve guys of the need to find the "perfect" girlfriend and they could get on with their lives.

# 3 is the grossly sexual part that I think should be obvious but is clearly not. (You've been warned.) Women clearly have sexual stamina and power, and probably desire, that puts men's to shame. Women have been shamed and degraded for so long that this basic biological fact gets lost, but anyone who spends a decent amount of time bothering to learn about these things will notice the vast gap between the myth that women are indifferent to sex and the reality that women have a far more voracious appetite than men pretty quickly.

Watching that documentary, the basic fear of women's voracious sexuality was evident. They interviewed a couple that waited until marriage, and prior to the marriage they were forced to go through a long series of marriage counseling exercises through the church. (I think this is a good idea in theory, but every couple I know who did this divorced anway, so I think there's a flaw or two or a dozen.) And part of the counseling was about men and women's sexual differences, and it was very Mars and Venus basic stuff--men pop off quickly, women take longer to arouse.

The problems that came from this ill-informed model of human sexuality were immediately apparent. The groom obviously loved his bride deeply and desired great sexual satisfaction for her. But he had never been told that a woman is properly satisfied by bringing her to orgasm one after another for a good time before even getting yours. That's the sort of basic information that gets left behind in all the "sex is an loving act in a marriage" talk.

It's also the the information that people who consider themselves hip or bohemian or whatever miss, though. That much is apparent viewing the row of lonely guys at show who gaze longingly.

It's no secret that lots of men who fancy themselves hipsters stick to pretty retrograde ideas of the gender roles. But the veneer of hip shields them from the criticism that is aimed at the super-Christians, and unfairly. Smart men know that they can cultivate the best relationships, or at least the best sex, with independent women. And it's not hard--just avoid the three fallacies I described. Print it out on a card or something if you have memory problems, but here they are boiled down.

* Women's emancipation means that birth control is a right, not a luxury. Men are now permitted to inquire in their partner's method and pursue their own. More importantly, now that women view child-bearing as a choice, men can, too. Generally men and women work together to decide when or if children will be born--of course there are abuses, but for the first time in history, men and women work as partners to make this decision.

*Part of truly assisting in women's emancipation is fully embracing the notion that women have as much agency as men, even when it comes to sex. I have learned this lesson from men more than women, be that as it may. Women have things to be afraid of; don't try to humiliate them for this. But more important than any other thing--women are flawed humans, just like your friends. Don't expect "love" to make things work. Romantic love was invented to make women more congenial to subservience, and has no place in modern life.

*The best favor you can do for yourself and your sex life, be you male or female, is accept the obvious--women have bigger appetites and are more insatiatiable. Consider the fact that contrary to biological fact we tend to think of women as the sex that cares for sex less. Realize how powerful sexism is that it distracts us from something that is right under our nose but we don't notice because of our prejudice. To my mind, once you can shake off the prejudice that women are less sexual than men, a prejudice that is the exact opposite of the truth, you'll be more open to shaking off other prejudices.

Of course, I'm a librul optimist, and so my hopes for improvement of humankind are pipe dreams.

Still, I'm right.

38 Comments:

Blogger thekeez said...

Mouse mentioned: a woman is properly satisfied by bringing her to orgasm one after another for a good time before even getting yours.

I always thought this matter had been dealt with quite completely in the early 70s. It's what every intelligent woman expected from a man in those days.

I distinctly remember the uproarious laughter in the theater playing "Annie Hall" when the scene with Woody and Shelly Duvall came up and Woody was massaging his sore jaw. I guess that scene just goes over the heads of today's audiences.

What a shame...thekeez

11/01/2004

 
Blogger Ron said...

Great posts, this and the next. I was one of those lonely guys for more than one stretch of years. I'm very familiar with that look you describe. I call it 'the wolf look' and it's guaranteed to scare women off. The point about approach/rejection was right on. Unfortunately, I've never been sucessful in a pick-up situation, despite my good looks and charm. I'm dealing with the feelings of inadequacy and resentment from those years; the memories trigger depression sometimes. The few relationships I've had were mostly initated by women, including the present.

The one statement I don't see is about Romantic love. To me being romantic means making sure I communicate positve feelings, do thoughtful things unasked and be attentive to my betrothed's sexual needs. So what do you mean?

11/01/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My impression is that a world in which they can have uninhibited sex is precisely what moralistic conservative men don't want. My hypothesis is that people who don't have hard-to-control impulses that they don't like generally don't feel too strongly about such matters morally. Those who do can respond two ways (among other, intermediate ways): do what they impulsively want to do, which is sometimes fine (homosexuality, most fetishes, "light" addictions, etc.) and sometimes not (paedophilia, heavy substance abuse, severe gambling problems, etc), or respond with religious, moralistic conservatism. Sometimes they go from one to the other, of course (Bush, from alcoholism to religious conservatism), and sometimes do both simultaneously (Bennett's gambling, Limbaugh's prescription drug abuse).

Anyway, the point is, telling these guys "can't you see that women's lib helps men? If there's widespread contraception, you can have more sex!" isn't comforting to them. Their thought is "oh no! Then I might have more sex!"

I think you'll find few die-hard moralistic self-righteous types among those who simply don't have trouble controlling their impulses, and thus don't view themselves or others as needing restraint by some kind of third party. They may be religious or not, but they're less likely to have the paranoid fantasies so common among the self-righteous moralists: "if we don't believe in God, then our whole society will degenerate into an orgy of degenerate sex, drug abuse, theft, and murder!" If you don't want to, or think others want to, do those things in the first place, why would it?

This is, of course, a problem for the rest of us guys who think it ISN'T a problem (in fact, is the exact opposite of a problem) if women are more sexually available, but to them, the idea that us non-theocratic men can, depending on our natures, be promiscuous and not have that be a problem so long as we're sufficiently honest and cautious or just not be promiscuous because we don't want to be is beyond their comprehension. We're all depraved by nature, and if we don't act depraved, that's because we've got the power of God holding us back.

Julian Elson

11/02/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, this blog is neat. I already added it to my favorites. I have a site that pretty much coversmake money online free related stuff.

10/09/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I discuss this topic daily myself. I also have a website that talks about how to make fake money related things. Go check it out if you get a chance.

10/12/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here!

Just checking different blogs and posting to the ones I like.
If my post is not for you then sorry about this.

I have a online betting sports gambling site. It pretty much covers ##GAMBLING## related stuff.

Come and check it out
.

10/13/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Came here searching for asian dating site

Not a bad site you got here mate!

Check out mine
All about
asian dating site

10/15/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog covering wedding party topics is quite informative. Not everything relating to wedding party is quite as straight forward. Wedding days are always complicated.

10/18/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why most of high school yearbooks online sites are scams? Everyone wants an good degree, but does online education really worth? Come to this website to
see detailed discussion on high school yearbooks online

11/02/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you would just take your time to know your way around, you could discover

11/03/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to all of the major RSS feed directories on the Internet.

11/06/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You aren't going to believe this website! If you really like pic pussy teen topanga then this is even bigger than you can imagine!

Twins Twins Twins! Free sample pic here at my blog:
Milton Twins !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And feel free to post at my blog too.

11/09/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting web site. I've found whenever you're dealing with work at home, people might sign up but do nothing. That's whats so disappointing about trying to make a living online. You work your butt off on promoting, but if you don't have a product that sells itself folks won't do jack. Ahhhhh.....the life of an internet junkie.

Good luck,
Al Fanucchi Jr
Founder of SIDEjob.com
-------------------------------------
work at homeGet Paid Daily!

11/09/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Free Ads and Marketing Lessons conveniently SENT straight to your Inbox Daily!

11/11/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a pretty cool site about air conditioner filter

11/11/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sdc personals
sdc personals

Find a date at sdc personals

11/22/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out Internet Marketing Christmas, this special ends on 12/21/2005

12/19/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the infomation

1/04/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

�Me pregunto qu� informaci�n del custom diamond rings necesito saber?Best Wishes, Hilario custom diamond rings

1/13/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you looking for a Home Depot Kitchen Cabinet in your area? If so here is a fantastic resource for local listings related to Home Depot Kitchen Cabinet with information, locations, articles and more..Check it out here...http://www.floridakitchendesigns.com

1/18/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ,

Your blog is very informative. well done and continue with blog related to slot roulette. Do visit me at
slot roulette


Raymond
http://www.101roulettewinningtips.com

1/22/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is great, No better time than now to learn about California mortgage quote http://thehomemortgageguide.com New Information revealed! California mortgage quote

1/23/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You blog sure gets quite a few comments. I'm going to read thru your posts and see why you are generating so much interest. Bye. Ms. Epson cartridges

3/06/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I 110% agree with the last few comments. This blog has great opinions and this is why I continue to visit, thanks! Ms. California SSI law

3/11/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a great opportunity, no selling, no phoning, no recruiting PERIOD!

5/05/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog you got. I was just out searching all the web for drip hydroponics system and your site popped up in the listings. Not 100% what I was searching for but interesting enough to read through and leave you a comment I guess.
Keep it up. Cheers

5/11/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may already know that sign up is free at traffic swarm. You can also move up to the Pro membership, Check this out: "New TrafficSwarm Pro Membership Delivers TWICE the traffic, Provides FREE Custom Products and MUCH More!"

"We Create the Products for you to sell...and YOU keep All The Money!

To find out more visit: top home-based businesses site. It successfully exposes FREE information covering Traffic and top home-based businesses related stuff.

5/14/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a quite astonishing blog. I found it when looking for discreet personals.
Regards, Kate @ Top Adult Personals

6/22/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an excellent blog. Keep it going.You are providing
a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my automotive finance industry site.
Have a great week!

7/21/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an excellent blog. Keep it going.You are providing
a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my automotive finance industry site.
Have a great week!

7/21/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a totally free mp3 downloads site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Greetings.

7/31/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog. I love all the free adult movie site. I will definately be back again... and again and again.

8/12/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda,

I was looking at your blog post
about automator .

You can now place a link to
your website on our website for free. See:

http://www.thefreeadforum.com


We get over 18,000 visitors per day.
Many search under automator .

We have a special category for automator
in our search engine friendly directory.
Your listing will be spidered by the search
engines under automator .

We hope you find this to be a
good opportunity for some free
advertising.


Good luck,

John,

http://www.thefreeadforum.com
The Free Advertising Forum..

11/08/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda,

I saw your post
regarding directory .

You are welcome to place a link to
your blog or website on my high
traffic website for free. See:

http://www.thefreeadforum.com


The Free Ad Forum is a forum where you may
post your permanent search engine friendly ads daily for
free. I hope you take advantage of this free advertising
opportunity, We have a special section just for directory .

Thank you,

John,

http://www.thefreeadforum.com
The Free Advertising Forum.

11/11/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

chinese matchmaker

2/15/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bowl date super

2/19/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

100 dating free online services

2/26/2007

 
Blogger 5689 said...

zzzzz2018.8.11
fitflops sale clearance
ralph lauren outlet
pandora jewelry
nike air max 2017
jordans
salomom shoes
ralph lauren uk
issey miyake perfume
ralph lauren outlet
reebok

8/10/2018

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home