Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Friday, November 19, 2004

Bad advice and bad taste all rolled up in one

My god, this article about the top ten proposal songs is a masterpiece of crap. Of course, the very idea of setting up some romantic moment with the perfect song to christen "our song" is exactly the sort of thing that gives me gas, so maybe I'm not the best person to turn to on this. Dramatic proposals annoy me. The concept of "our song" seems ridiculous to me. Sting is an asshole. And this just proves it.

In the mid-nineties, Sting began inviting audience members up to the stage during concerts to sing the song "I'm So Happy, I Can't Stop Crying" with him. This was then followed by the guest proposing to the woman he'd brought to the concert with him.

After copying and pasting that, I had to go to the bathroom to indulge my Sting-induced bulemia.

Though the practice itself is not strange, the choice of song is, as the piece in question is about divorce. In order to get your life together off to a good start, here are some more appropriate melodies by which to pop the question.

Well, maybe he's playing a little joke on his audience who is stupid enough to fall for stage-managed romantic moments. But this being Sting, I would say not. All I know is next time someone tries to defend Sting to me, I'm telling them about this. Anyway, the songs that are supposed to be perfect for a stage-managed proposal. Sadly, "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" is not one of them.

1. "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel. Though it may be somewhat cliched in the wake of Say Anything, for a couple who came of age in the late eighties/early nineties, this tune will forever be married to the image of John Cusack with cinema's most romantic ghetto blaster held above his head.

This is the one to whip out just in case you're afraid she'll say no. She can't if she's under the spell of this song, which lulls your average Gen-X woman into thinking her boyfriend is John Cusack and she herself is Ione Skye.

2. You're My Best Friend" by Queen. You've known her for years, you were pals long before you were lovers, and now you want to spend the rest of your life with her. It really says everything one could want to say about what a marriage should be.

I'm a Queen fan and I don't even like this song. The lyrics were written by the guy who wrote "Dick and Jane", who needed work after being drummed out of the children's book business by Dr. Seuss.

3. "Something" by the Beatles. For those who want to let her know what exactly it is that you love about her, go with the ambiguity of George Harrison's ode to the je n'sais quoi that makes the women we love special.

Oh, and say "je n'sais quoi", but only if she doesn't know what it means. It's always fun to tell someone when they ask, because even if you don't know what it means, you'll be awfully close.

4. "Your Song" by Elton John. This is a classic declaration of love made all the more so by its stunning use in the romantic musical Moulin Rouge.

I'm trying to remember what the movie was that everyone cribbed off of before Moulin Rouge and Say Anything. Was it Top Gun? I guess if your girlfriend likes Top Gun and Moulin Rouge, you can cross the two and crib off of Risky Business. Good luck with that one.

5. "I'll Stand By You" by the Pretenders. This song offers a promise of steadfastness that can't be shaken by whatever looms down life's winding roads.

Ah, the Sting effect. Good musicians go shitty and then write songs that will be used by unimaginative people to romance each other for eternity. For some reason, it hurts more because it's Chrissie Hynde.

6. "All I Want is You" by U2. Used to great effect in Reality Bites, this little number is sure to assure her that she's the center of your universe. A real Gen-X romantic classic, it's sure to elicit a "yes" to whatever question you care to pose.

The Sting effect continues, except that U2 always had a sucky side to them that just took over completely.

7. "Wicked Game" by Chris Isaak. If there's a sexier song in existence, I'm hard-pressed to name it. This is one for a candlelit proposal accompanied by longing glances and soulful kisses.

Please don't ruin this song with your goofy public proposal that you hope will end in strangers nearby applauding. Anyway, I always thought this song was about loving someone who won't have you, which is exactly the inappropriateness that I thought our hearty advice column was teaching us to avoid.

8. "Fields of Gold" by Sting. This Sting song abandons divorce in favor of fidelity and an end to wandering eyes.

The Sting effect in its essence. When this song came out, an angel lost its wings.

9. "For My Lady" by the Moody Blues. A song of chivalric proportions, the singer makes offers of life and limb in the service of his love.

This is the sort of thing that makes "sanctity of marriage" arguments purely ridiculous. This song and commercials for diamond jewelry.

10. "The Elephant Love Medley" from Moulin Rouge. For those unable to come up with an appropriate song, this is the kitchen-sink approach, stitching together every pop ballad on the subject into a full barrage of romantic sentiment with manic abandon.

I actually like this. If you're going to go the completely artificial, stage-managed proposal with a few slapped-on details to make it "individual", might as well make fun of the whole thing by using a slapped-together song. But seriously, how did unimaginative people have romantic moments before the movies taught them how to do it? Did they just not care?

29 Comments:

Blogger Amanda Marcotte said...

If ever I was to lose my mind and find myself picking out a wedding song, I'm going with "Respect". Gotta keep 'em guessing.

11/19/2004

 
Blogger Diane said...

Forget the barfable music. I'm having trouble knowing that people still think women are supposed to wait for men to ask them to marry them.

11/20/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come and check it out if you get the time 8-)

10/01/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog! I wanted to share this with you. Are you tired of the Internet Marketing Rat Race? business home mlm no


Check this out when you have time :-)

10/04/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Divorce is never easy. Your posting on divorce law was very informative. I to have a divorce law web site exploring such issues. I will return to your blog often.

10/10/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Divorce and separation is so easy these days. Your blog covers new jersey divorce lawyer which is how I found your site. I have a web site containing new jersey divorce lawyer information as well - stop by sometime. Great posting by the way.

10/13/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog contained issues relating to wedding poem which I found quite absorbing. I would argue that wedding poem matters are best left to the professionals in most cases.

10/18/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site folks, been looking for this kind of information. I have a related diamond wedding ring
site also. You may want to take a look some time. diamond wedding ring
I'll definitely be back.

10/21/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog,
here is another blog with much needed information kitchen cabinet manufacturer

10/22/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As many links as you want!

10/27/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Learn how to quickly create an RSS feeds with our RSS feeder, for high link popularity and ultimately better search engine rankings.

10/30/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drop on by and browse through a huge archive of really funny joke

This is one of the many jokes i found amongst the many joke categorys:
A man walks into his favorite bar and saw a bum panhandeling. The bum asked if the man could spare a dollar. The man replied "If I give you money are you going to use it to buy liquor?" The bum said he would not, so the man asked "If I give you money are you going to use it for gambling?" Again the bum said he would not, so the man asked "Would you come home with me so I can show my wife what happenes to someone who doesnt gamble or drink?"

11/03/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Post your Ad to everyday after that, you'll also be able to generate a Viral Traffic Streams absolutely FREE!

11/10/2005

 
Blogger Roberto Iza Valdes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/22/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks

1/08/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My world revolves around mlm lead generation company How about you? I am sure you love it to.Go get em!

1/08/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to say this, but I was looking for car loan financing links, but your site came up. Oh well. Worth the read. Gotta run.

1/11/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is great This may be of interest to you to if you are searching for neurogenic erectile dysfunction, I've got a site at neurogenic erectile dysfunction

1/11/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good stuff here. Surfing for car loan san antonio sites, actually. Take care.

1/11/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog. Love the theme. When looking for penis enlargement manual I found you in the big G. Another site I found with good info is penis enlargement manual Check it out when you get the chance. Have a good day from us here in Texas.

1/12/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a similar site related to penis enlargement progress Come by some time.
I definitely like your site, bookmarked! This post is good stuff.

1/12/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

�Esto es un buen sitio que mira!Salaam, Goldie Create Your Own Engagement Rings

1/13/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christmas is just around the corner. No time to go to the mall...then do your shopping online. We sell everything that the mall sells. Shop today!

1/17/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there blog owner! I am searching blogs to find information and sources to help with my website:http://www.horse-lover-gift-ideas-central.com/horse_jewelry.html My site is fairly new about 8 months old and have a google pr of 3 and get about 50 people a day to visit. My site has aquamarine white gold ring and is all affiliate merchandise.
I have been in MLM companys for the past 8 years offline mainly and have never made a dime. This is a new frontier for my wife and I and don't have very much experience but a friend suggested searching blogs to get ideas about how people sale and also what kind of information they offer their customers and clients. We are begining to make some good money selling aquamarine white gold ring related articles but I also want to offer my customers some quality information to go along with good deals. If you make it to my site and can offer some constructive critisizm I will take it into consideration or if you have some ideas it will be greatly appreciated. Remember we are on a budget and we do all the work ourselves.

Thank you for your time.
Prosperous Regards,
aquamarine white gold ring

1/17/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I have a fairly new website that has been online for about 8 months. I looked at alot of websites that are in my area horse harness and supply . So my wife and I thought since we love horses we should build a website around that. I didn;t realize it would be so time consuming though. But we love it and hope to improve and offer some of the best recourses and products available. Hence the search for content new products and information about what we have. If you decide to come and visit maybe you can offer some advice That would be great. If not well you have A great new year. We hope to soon start a new site for horse adoption and rescue. Hopefully in the spring.

Thank you for your BLOG.

Regards,

horse harness and supply

1/26/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I have a fairly new website that has been online for about 8 months. I am doing research as per a fellow website owner suggested to gather information about delivering good content to my visitors. I looked at alot of websites that are in my area horse racing equipment . I have done the internet MLM thing and really got disgusted at the whole thing. So my wife and I thought since we love horses we should build a website around that. We have done pretty good so far but I always want to improve. I didn;t realize it would be so time consuming though. But we love it and hope to improve and offer some of the best recourses and products available. Hence the search for content new products and information about what we have.

Thank you for your BLOG.

Regards,

horse racing equipment

1/27/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the infomation

2/01/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
If you have a moment, please visit my automobile insurance rates ranking site.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

7/18/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congradulations on a well written, interesting and superb blog! Have you heard about the shocking news?

1000's of real people are earning quiet fortunes from home using the most ingenious automated system ever invented.

Are you curious to find out what this is all about?

Why not? You have nothing to lose.

You can sign up for this system absolutely free of charge and check it all out for yourself.

To start off, we have a video presentation for you to watch. Just turn up the speakers if you can, and click on the link below.

Have fun and open your mind.

It is all right here: based business home internet It successfully covers based business home internet related stuff.

Come and check it out now, Scott :-)

7/19/2006

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home