Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Representing your gender

My boyfriend's stepmother is a caterer. She is really good, and to boot, she has no problem with taking busmen's holidays. Which meant that we got her to cook us one really good dinner while they were here this weekend. Since I like to cook and like to eat, I was only too happy to linger in the kitchen and "help". (Okay, I made salsa and my boyfriend made guacamole, but neither is especially hard.) My boyfriend wandered off into the living room to watch the Eagles game with his dad, leaving me and his stepmom alone in the kitchen.

After a few minutes, I joked, "Who'da thunk it? Never in my house did I think I'd see the women in the kitchen and the men watching football."

Naturally, everyone got all defensive and pointed out that there were overriding circumstances, which there were. For one thing, the women were cooking because they loved it and the men were watching football because it was the playoffs and because I only have a two-butt kitchen. Most importantly, you can't judge people by one action or one moment in time.

This is important because one of the weapons of the arsenal of sexists is to hyper-focus on a single woman behaving in a stereotypically female way in a moment in time, if it's negative all the better, and extrapolate male superiority due to it. That's the basic premise of this offensive commercial that feministing links to, that a single woman's inability to work a power drill makes her incapable of driving a car.

Watching that commercial, I cringed twice. Once because of how sexist it is, and a second time because I remembered all the times I did something clumsy and thereby inadvertantly proved the sexists "right". While in rhetoric it's easy to agree that flexibility in gender roles is the goal, in practice the pressure to prove a sexist society wrong about women can be overwhelming. There's this constant push to be a credit to your sex, and it can be quite taxing.

This has been a huge problem for me for a long time. I'm really clumsy, always have been. I can knock over a drink from across the room. I am also not so good with tools and I won't mow the lawn because my allergies make me bananas. These things taken together make me feel guilty, like I'm disproving my own theories that women aren't constrained by stereotypically feminine behavior.

Then I think of all the times that I haven't been what was expected and what a struggle that has been for me. Being good at math. Being aggressive. All the ways that I trespass on traditionally male territory in every small way from the fact that I'll look a man in the eye to my willingness to play DJ. It is hard so much of the time, when people treat you like you've overstepped a boundary.

The way we'll know that we have finally achieved our goals is when women don't feel like we have to stand in as a symbol of our sex as a whole, that our personal failings are a detriment to all women and that our personal successes are a credit to our sex.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, remember that all women are naturally born knowing how to cook and clean and take care of babies naturally. So it all works out!

Seriously, it is a matter of being shown. I can work a power drill (I don't LIKE using one, mind you, but I COULD if I had to), but I sure as hell can't cook too great. Why, you ask? The person teaching me to cook "assumed" I already knew how because I had a vagina!

-Jennifer

1/27/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buy Penis Hoopla atPenis Hoopla

11/09/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can find some great information about free recipes and low carb and dessert right here http://atkinsdiet.find-it-first.biz in case anyone is interested.

1/19/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

My time spent at this site was worth every minute. This site should be commended. Please continue to post such vibrant articles!

Thanks,
enjoyable

2/16/2006

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors outlet, oakley vault, ray ban outlet, kate spade handbags, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, prada handbags, longchamp handbags, tiffany jewelry, louis vuitton outlet online, coach outlet, christian louboutin, polo ralph lauren outlet, nike air max, burberry outlet online, jordan shoes, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co jewelry, red bottom shoes, gucci handbags, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet online, nike shoes, kate spade outlet online, longchamp outlet online, prada outlet, coach outlet, louis vuitton outlet, coach purses, longchamp outlet, true religion, louis vuitton, cheap oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet, chanel handbags, coach outlet store online, polo ralph lauren, burberry outlet online, nike free, christian louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, michael kors outlet store

11/16/2014

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home