Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Urgh! The Sting conudrum

So I went last night to the Alamo Drafthouse to see "Urgh! A Music War" with some friends. We enjoyed it, and I think my boyfriend and I enjoyed it a little too much. We have both been long-time holdouts for the greatness of 80s music, and now that the popular consensus is catching up with us, we feel special. Like we are finally understood. Narcissism is an odd, odd thing.

Anyway, Alamo had a can of the movie that they found in a dumpster, which meant that there was water damage during X's section of the movie, which sucked ass, since X is one of my favorites. But there weren't too many parts of the movie that would have been a better spot for water damage, since a lot of my favorite bands were on there. (Best song was by Devo, of course.) And there were some thigh-slappingly funny New Wave overkill songs by Gary Numan and Klaus Nomi. And there were some really popular bands like the Go-Go's and.....yes, The Police.

It's pretty entertaining watching hip people watch video footage of The Police. Nowadays, Sting is so appallingly lame that he's even lost his rights to be grandfathered in as cool, like Danny Elfman gets for being in Oingo Boingo. It doesn't help that Sting is an egomaniac. And as for winning this audience over, it didn't help that The Police opened and closed the video, getting two slots when better loved bands like The Dead Kennedys, X, Gang of Four, and The Cramps only got one slot. An audience already pre-disposed to thinking of Sting as the Anti-Christ or something was quick to turn on him for that.

But the ugly truth is that The Police had some really good songs back then. You find yourself bobbing your head along, enjoying the hell out of it, even when they closed the video with "Roxanne". Dammit! Hate and love at the same time! What's a hipster to do? I was beside myself in snobbish confusion.

Luckily, Sting resolves the whole thing nicely for his audience by drifting off in the middle of "Roxanne" into what I would describe as a non-jam sort of jam, a pretentious method of jamming without drifting into uncomfortable hippie territory. It was this disjointed sort of thing that was so terribly boring you could see Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland getting as bored as the audience and fixing to drift off. Typical Sting, thinking he can have the best of both worlds by having a really boring jam but trying to play it off as something arty. But it did resolve the cognitive dissonance in the audience, as we drifted from enjoying a Police song back to the comfortable territory of hating the fuck out of Sting. Well, I know I did, though my boyfriend was just cackling with evil in his voice.

So if you get to see this film, go see it! But leave during the last performance. I will say there is something worthwhile about every other performance on this video, an assertion I do not make lightly.

8 Comments:

Blogger bitchphd said...

Heh.

1/11/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You still have time to shop on the internet for shipping before christmas

12/14/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning Amanda, I find it quite refreshing to occasionally find a post such as yours with a different topic completely. It somehow ads to ones little list of lifes experiences.

I seem to have a soft spot for blogs related to
# #LINK## and /or sites that have a central theme around submit articles type items. I guess this comes from being a webmaster as well.

1/23/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,

Saw your post on Urgh! The Sting conudrum. We created a directory for
free traffic related sites on our website. You are welcome
to add your free traffic related blogs or sites, We get lots
of visitors so it should be a good opportunity for some
free advertising. See ##URL or click free traffic.
Cheers.

John

Get 10,000 free opt in leads right now.

2/13/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you tired of getting nice compliments on your blog, when really you're not makeng the kind of money that you deserve? Now you can join a completely FREE program. No buying and No selling. FREE to join. All you do is refer customers. To get started fast, click here: internet wealth site. It pretty much covers internet wealth related stuff and it's FREE to join.

5/07/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda,

I took a look at your post
regarding free affiliate program .

You are invited to place a link to
your blog on our website for free. See:

http://www.thefreeadforum.com


We get over 18,000 visitors per day.
Many are looking for free affiliate program
related products and services.

We have a specific category for free affiliate program .
Your listing will be spidered by the search
engines under free affiliate program . Our pages
are made to be search engine friendly.
We hope you take a moment to take
advantage of this free advertising.

Cheers,

John

http://www.thefreeadforum.com
The Free Advertising Forum.

10/19/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rene Keiser signed up, and here's what happend..."This website is so viral - I received over one hundred sign ups and my network is already 5 levels deep in less than 48 hours." ~ Rene Keiser. Learn more about it here: business at home site. It pretty much covers business at home related stuff and it is FREE to join.

11/21/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good blog - very interesting!! Thought you might like some excellent advice on driving extra traffic to your website/blog - I'm into real estate selling home tip and to drive traffic to my website I was searching around the internet for absolutely ages looking for SEO tools to fire my site up the Google search engine, then I signed up free for this superb traffic gereating tool - I now have loads of hits to my websites/blogs and my site is shooting up the Google rankings quicker than ever before.

Consequently this can see your affiliate commissions shoot through the roof - meaning lots of extra money coming in for you and your family. Sign up now - it's free.
. Sorry if this information is of no use to you but seeing as you have the anonymous feature enabled I thought I should share this free bit of essential promotional advice with you and would hope you would do the same for me.

I hope the tool will serve you equally as well as it has me!!

Best of luck, cheers for now, dave.

2/21/2007

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home