Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Sunday, August 15, 2004

Book review

I finally got around to reading David Brock's Republican Noise Machine. (I know I'm a little behind the times, but I get most of my books from the library, so I have to wait until they get a new book to read it.) I usually don't review the books I read on here, but this book was pretty good and definitely essential, so I thought I would put some thoughts up about it.

Brock was a member of the VRWC, and his job was to smear reputations. For this, the VRWC paid him quite handsomely, all of which he details in Blinded by the Right, a strangely moving mea culpa. Because his previous work for the VRWC was so opportunistic, so unethical it's difficult for people to trust Brock's motives. The evil, sniveling, predatory Matt Drudge exploited this by trying to make it a mental health issue and revealing that Brock had a nervous breakdown and some serious emotional problems. I think that tactic might have backfired, though. It made me believe Brock all the more that his unethical behavior caused him such profound distress.

Brock does make a couple of cheap shots in this new book, which caused me a lot of discomfort, even though I love taking cheap shots at the whiners and hypocrites on the right, because Brock is obviously trying to rectify his previous pandering to the right by taking the high road now that he works for the left. (Actually, I think his politics are probably what one would deem "moderate"--he is actually pretty good about batting for the left's right to be heard without endorsing liberal positions.) I got over the few minor cheap shots. Considering that Brock originally wrote nothing but cheap shots and considering the many of the people whose careers he is analyzing here used to be personal friends of his that were all too willing to try to discredit him by drawing attention to his mental health issues and his homosexuality, it's actually surprising that he doesn't fire back more often. (The cheapest shot was talking about Andrew Sullivan's sexual behavior in light of his HIV positive status, but even that I decided I could live with considering that Sullivan is surprisingly cold to people with the disease who don't necessarily have the resources he has to fight it.)

The most important thing about the book is that it breaks down the various media sources that help form the conservative tilt of the media. He understands very well that different media affect their audiences in different ways, and he shows how the right has managed to exploit the various strengths of different media to create the illusion of a coherent worldview that modern conservatism doesn't really have. Radio hosts make people feel personally validated, print sources bring authority to them, television makes it exciting, etc. He also gives the entire situation some historical context, showing how the movement to force the media to kowtow to conservative Republicanism started under Nixon and Agnew, specifically a speech that Agnew made where he outright stated that the news media's job was to reflect the "values" of "average" (read: Republican voters) Americans. You know, instead of printing the actual news, that is. You can see the results of this attitude in the rah-rah reporting of the Iraq war. Any journalist who persisted in reporting on the war like a journalist reporting the news instead of a propagandist for the Bush administration was blasted for a lack of patriotism.

I hope it's evident what the problem is with telling people what they want to hear on the news instead of telling the truth, especially in a democracy.

The most important thing about this book and Brock's website Media Matters is that people need to understand that media does in fact matter. It's difficult sometimes to watch something like Fox News and get past thinking, "God only really stupid people must fall for this crap." Brock gets past that simply by existing--he's a smart guy and he fell for it, so we can move on. The truth of the matter is that no matter how smart you are, you cannot know something if you never have an opportunity to learn it. And intelligence and education do not make people immune to having prejudiced or warped beliefs, especially if those beliefs are the prevailing wisdom. And what makes something the prevailing wisdom is usually no more than constantly communicating those beliefs loudly and frequently. A quick glance through history is all it takes for this truth to sink in.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

best web hosting Web Hosting Ecommerce Your source for the latest in the best web hosting industry, News, links and latest best web hosting developments.

10/23/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Click here if your LOOKING for "No Charge Online Advertising Channels For Any Business"

11/03/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am certainly glad I found your blog. I would like to post your link on my "favorites" page for future reference and reading.California Refinance

11/05/2005

 
Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/06/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I just across sites and found that your Blogs are amazing.
Check out best home based internet business

11/11/2005

 
Blogger Roy2Good said...

Hey, you have a great blog! If you ever need content check our site out at http://olin.tk
We have a download business blog to support our main site. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time

download

11/11/2005

 
Blogger Editor said...

Hello there, great blog about best web hosting
I have a great resource too...
You can get 15000 MB webspace and 300 GB monthly bandwidth for only $5 monthly. Their services and support line are the greatest.
Go there and check it out yourself: http://tinyurl.com/72evj

11/13/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You still have time to shop on the internet for shipping before christmas

12/14/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

G'day Amanda, what a great blog you have here, been entertained by the read. Just noticed that my brief time visiting blogs looking for reseller hosting package items has run into a couple of hours. Easily done when you get engrossed in what people write about. I should really use reseller hosting package as a search term but then I might miss places such as Book review. Besides which working all the time is boring.

12/17/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda,

I saw your post
regarding vps web hosting review .

I have about 7 VPS servers most with different companies.
I had one with Rackforce.com that was working pretty well.
I had upgraded to their top VPS plan and I had close to 100
websites on there which was pretty good. I had some
restaurant websites, marketing info websites a wide variety.
After several months with Rackforce.com I got an email through
their support system. "Account Closed" Holy cow! Heart attack time!
I looked at the ticket and they closed the account because of one
spam complaint by one of my customers.
No warning, I had never had one complaint about any of
my customers before, first time, they shut down everything.
They did not even let me suspend
the customer's account or deal with the problem. Just nuclear option.
I tried to negotiate with them and they even refused to let me
access the data to back it up.

Lucky I had been pretty good about backups on my end.
Bottom line. If you are starting to resell hosting watch out
for Rackforce.com unless you really enjoy heart attacks.
You are just one complaint away from losing your whole
business.

I think Servint and Liquidweb are some of the best VPS providers
I have found if you are looking for alternatives.

More posts on this topic

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2437180&posted=1#post2437180
http://www.hosthideout.com/showthread.php?p=97224#post97224
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=478368

1/19/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog. Keep up the good work. I also like work at home business opportunity websites. Some of my favorites.

1/25/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How To Get OVER ONE MILLION Of The Very Best Ways to Stay Home And Make Money � with our free work at home business opportunity

1/27/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda,

I took a look at your post
regarding web hosting template .

You are invited to place a link to
your blog on our website for free. See:

http://www.thefreeadforum.com


We get over 18,000 visitors per day.
Many are looking for web hosting template
related products and services.

We have a specific category for web hosting template .
Your listing will be spidered by the search
engines under web hosting template . Our pages
are made to be search engine friendly.
We hope you take a moment to take
advantage of this free advertising.

Cheers,

John

http://www.thefreeadforum.com
The Free Advertising Forum.

10/30/2006

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home