Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Saturday, August 14, 2004

I'm not watching the Olympics either

Greg at the Talent Show admits that he likes to watch the Olympics, crappy coverage and all, disagreeing with Brian and Kevin. All those posts make good points, even when they directly contradict each other. The thing with sports is that it's so much a matter of taste that the various reasons to like or dislike any sport can't help but be intensely personal. Kevin dislikes the Olympics because the need to cover as many events as possible forces the networks to cut out a good deal of the process of a sport to get to the good parts. That makes sense that would bug Kevin--he likes the process of politics, too. Greg likes the Olympics because despite the network coverage's best attempts, it's hard to generate star power like you find in the NFL or NBA. Plus, he enjoys the chance to participate in the experience of international sports.

Also, the Olympics really bring out the nationalist in me. When I'm watching, I want "our team" to kick ass. When someone is representing their country, you can really feel the patriotism in the air. Hell, this is probably the only two weeks every four years where people are waving the flag because they love their country, rather than hate their ideological "enemies".

I have a much different feeling about the Olympics and the nationalist feelings they engender. Like Greg, I'm indifferent to outright hostile to most sports. My boyfriend and some friends of mine are absolute racing fanatics. Nearly every Sunday during racing season is dominated by a MotoGP race or a Formula 1 race at this house. To boot, both of us like soccer well enough and we'll take in a game or two if we're bored and hanging out at the house and one is on. We tried to watch the World Cup, but since most of the games were early in the morning and because American TV is really hostile to international soccer, it was hard. We had to watch most of the games on Spanish-language TV, and believe me, it can be tiring to hear "GOOOOOOAAAAAAAL!" every time, well, they score a goal.

Suffice it to say, I take in a lot of sports for someone who doesn't care very much about sports. But, as you might have noticed, it's all international sports. If nothing else, it's nice not to have to listen to annoying American sports commentators go on about how this time last year it was a degree colder outside and how this might affect someone's batting except that last year he also started the day with waffles and this year it was pancakes and there's no way to guess what effect that might have. But hands down the thing that makes international sports so exciting is the way that nationality comes into play. It's usually a good thing--watching a national team or racer win in their home country and the stands go absolutely bonkers with pride is downright heart-warming. It can be totally horrible, of course, the English football hooligans being the prime example. But most international sports fans can manage both to root for their fellow citizens and also be happy for others when they win.

Americans have a weird take on international sports. The common wisdom is that if Americans atheletes don't dominate, American fans just pretend the sport doesn't exist at all. Or, even worse, there is this ugly tendency to concoct elaborate theories about why said sport isn't as good a sport as something that Americans like, the implication being that the rest of the sports fans in the world are just really stupid. And American fans of those sports can get pretty defensive. The F1 and MotoGP fans in my life have nothing but contempt for NASCAR, for instance. And if you've never been on the receiving end of an American sports fan trash soccer and imply that if the rest of the world likes it, it must be because the rest of the world is a buncha fairies.

Americans win a lot in the Olympics, and what sports receive coverage is dictated by how well Americans are expected to do in it. That's why Brian at Crooked Timber can expect not to have a chance to watch his favorite Australian swimmers perform. The Olympic coverage veers dangerously close at times to being an exercise in Americans patting themselves on the back for being better athletes than the entire rest of the world. It's fine to root for the home team, but in international sports it's important that one also learns to appreciate good athletes from other countries. (We are capable of this, if we let ourselves be. It was impossible to resent Oksana Baiul pulling the gold out from Nancy Kerrigan, in part because she was much more likable than Kerrigan and because she completely deserved it.)

I can understand why Americans feel that it's important to be fiercely nationalistic, though. The fierce nationalism gives us some room to define what exactly it means to be an American. It's a cliche, but it's also an important truism that this is a country that's been completely shaped by immigration. A good number of people are invested in the idea of the melting pot, though I notice that the way most of them define it is to insist that people abandon their own ethnic heritage to adopt Anglo ways, as if Anglo wasn't an ethnic heritage in and of itself. From that point of view, international sports are a huge threat, since people are invested in watching Americans win, yes, but also in rooting for people from the countries they or their family came from. The discomfort is avoided altogether by only watching sports that pit Americans against Americans. Or occassionally watch international sports only if they come around every 4 years and the TV agrees to only show games that Americans win.

But hey, I'm hopeful that Americans can learn to enjoy international sports without getting a huge chip on our collective shoulders about it. Soccer's popularity is growing by leaps and bounds. From what I hear, Formula 1 is interested in getting more Americans involved, from Americans driving cars to American companies sponsoring teams. There's a sense that Americans are finally open to watching these kinds of competitions and that all it's going to take is a little effort towards wooing American fans.

So, why am I not watching the Olympics? Well, in part because we still haven't managed to get to a place where the overwhelming nationalism distracts from the coverage of the events themselves. But mostly because the corporate sponsorship of the games has come to dominate the games themselves, which works on my very last nerve.

51 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

I like to watch some of the Olympics, though there are only a few sports in which I take an interest. The nationalism drives me crazy, too (some of the people I'm rooting for are--gasp!--not Americans), and especially that of the commentators. During the opening ceremonies, they made such a big deal about countries whose names were "hard" to pronounce (they weren't, if you had half a brain), and they frequently made fun of countries about which they knew little.

Is nationalism more obnoxious in Americans than it is in other nationalities? I don't know. Someone I know attended the Tour de France, and the French people around her booed every time Lance Armstrong went by. National pride comes natural to most people, but it would be nice if it were tempered by respect for the national pride of others, and by respect for the accomplishments of other nations.

8/14/2004

 
Blogger Earnest said...

I guess I feel the way about our national sports (the NBA, especially) that you do about nationalism in international sports. For me, it was so much fun living in LA, watching the playoffs at work at Blockbuster with everyone crowding around the television. I love seeing the Mavericks fans and Kings fans pack their respective arenas to boo each other out of the stadiums. I love the feeling of pulling for a team, whether it's a local sports team or one our national teams. I occassionally will even cheer for other nations' teams if there's something about them that I like. There's just a joy in feeling like you're sharing in the triumphs and failures of the team with the thousands of other fans you know are rooting as hard as you. Fun. The weird thing is it took me a while to learn how to enjoy it since I spent so many years hating sports for no good reason.

8/14/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It says "anonymous" but I'm not, I'm LarryE, or Whoviating@aol.com and on blogspot as Lotus - Surviving a Dark Time. To not be anonymous, I was asked to provide my blogspot password and no, I wasn't willing to do that in order to post a comment.

Anyway, to the point at hand. I'm not a regular reader, so consider this a bit of drive-by commenting.

I don't watch television. I have one, but it lacks both antenna and cable connection and is used exclusively for video tapes and DVDs. But I said to my wife just this evening that this is one of the rare cases where I kind of miss it because I felt like watching some of the Olympics.

Now, I actually agree both with those who criticize the nationalism of the games and those who complain of the jingoistic coverage where attention to an event is in direct proportion to the success of Americans in it, but in times past I would just do my best to ignore that and watch the athletes. I also admit that I enjoyed seeing the thrill it gave the people of some nations when just one of their athletes wins a single medal - even though I knew that thrill is drawn from the same nationalism I generally object to.

The truth is, I'm not sure how we really can eliminate nationalism from the Olympics. Some time ago I wondered about the idea of changing the Olympic formula from being based on nations to being based on zones of roughly equal populations. But that would create its own issues of financing, hosting, and a variety of other practical considerations even beyond the political ones. And it would likely still suffer the same "home team" biases, just instead of "GO Team USA!" it would be "GO Team Northeast North America!" That might well be better because more internationalist but still it's wise to recall that group self-identification is not limited to nations.

I guess for me it comes down to the fact that I enjoy watching track & field and I enjoy watching the other events, including and perhaps particularly the occasional glimpse of some sport with which I'm unfamiliar. So should I let the biases of coverage which sometime turn to embarrassingly obvious jingoism (a fault which, let it be said, is not exclusive to US media) keep me from it? Or should I watch, do my best to ignore the downsides, in order to appreciate the performances?

A no brainer: If I had the means, I'd be watching.

8/15/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across this blog and saw a post aboutaudio french translation. This reminded me that I learned french recently with this:audio french translation Maybe it can help someone else.

10/14/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great blog on north american whitetail television north american whitetail television

10/24/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a game downloads site/blog. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

10/26/2005

 
Blogger WebsiteHosting1.com said...

**eLearning**

10/29/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is great Here's a subject that interests many; Authentic Sports Memorabilia

11/03/2005

 
Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/04/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda after reading your blog it reminded me to update mine. My passion for patriots runs deep. If you are like me business is a constant; But a respite from it gives me a fresh outlook. My http://serendipitysuccess.blogspot.com/2005/11/update-to-steelers-climb-to-top-of-afc.html has a similar theme and patriots plays important roles too. Football especially for most fans and partners is a highlight in the autumn and articles create great gatherings. Thanks for your I'm not watching the Olympics either.

11/04/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see my NASCAR memorabilia related site. It isn't anything special but you may still find something of interest.

11/09/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda, very unique blog you have! I was looking for female hair loss related information and came across your site. Very good info, I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a female hair loss site. You can find everything about hair styles as well as information on hair bows, color, extensions, and wigs. Please visit it.

12/22/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Amanda, I was just browsing, looking for hair loss solutions related information and found your blog. Very Nice! I have a hair loss solutions site. You can find everything about hair styles as well as information on hair bows, color, extensions, and wigs. Please visit, check it out and enjoy!

1/05/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool blog you have here.
http://www.basketball-dunk-shoot.com/
how did James Naismith make the basketball

1/06/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shop at your favorite stores 24 hours a day. Why go to the mall when you can shop online and avoid the traffic

1/15/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is time for me to start my own blog. I have been doing a lot of research on how people on using and setting up blogs in blogger. I really enjoyed looking at your work.

Thanks again,
Guidon Tonneau

1/17/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can i get more info?

1/17/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the info

1/17/2006

 
Blogger Dale's Gmail said...

Hi , I was out blog surfing looking for some info on juiceman when I ended up on your page. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about juiceman at the site above.

1/19/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good information

1/24/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, I have come in search of information. I was told that blogs have some of the best and most relevent information for any given subject. Mine happens to be a horse gift website that has anything from jewelry to horse tack. So I am looking for new products and information based on free horse download game to offer my customers and possibly some good marketing ideas for my website. I also have a blog but with the websites that I have and all the work involved in keeping several of them going and updating blogs I am at best posting once a month.

I have enjoyed your blog and am thankfull to be able to sort of pick your brain without actually bothering you.

I want to grow and build my website to be the best and know I have much to learn and fix to even come close.

I have been online for 8 months now so yes we are very young.

We have taken what we love and have turned it into a business.
I hope you come by to visit. I am not trying to sale you anything but would love to here if you have any ideas.

Thank you for your time.
free horse download game

1/26/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, check out my site if you have a chance! Thanks!

1/26/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, check out my site if you have a chance! Thanks!

1/26/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I have a fairly new website that has been online for about 8 months. I looked at alot of websites that are in my area horse vet supply . I have done the internet MLM thing and really got disgusted at the whole thing. So my wife and I thought since we love horses we should build a website around that. We have done pretty good so far but I always want to improve. I didn;t realize it would be so time consuming though. But we love it and hope to improve and offer some of the best recourses and products available. Hence the search for content new products and information about what we have. If you decide to come and visit maybe you can offer some advice That would be great. If not well you have A great new year.

Thank you for your BLOG.

Regards,

horse vet supply

1/27/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many reputable debt management companies can help you deal with your debt problems. You can work with a credit counsellor to create your own plan to pay off bills.
bankruptcy
Debt Resources Services.

1/28/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you, Friend, how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
vegas used cars for cheap
It covers vegas used cars for cheap related contents.
All the best!

1/28/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good post

1/31/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Amanda,

Your blog "I'm not watching the Olympics either", leads me to believe you will find my information on hai flat iron to be very beneficial.

2/03/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yesterday, I thought I really found a great site about Unlimited domain web hosting, but that was just the teaser. This new one I JUST found is even better than the one before. No, really. I am totally serious here. Go check it out right now if you have the time. You will not be disappointed. That newer site just appeared like a UFO out of the sky into the blue. Amazing it was.
Unlimited domain web hosting

2/06/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Amanda,

Your blog "I'm not watching the Olympics either", leads me to believe you will find my information on ceramic flat iron sedu to be very beneficial.

3/11/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

5/24/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

5/24/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good info. Thanks.

Regards,
Stock Options Trader
trading knowledge

5/26/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is very cool. I have a site http://top-personals.net related to columbia mo single, take a look if you are looking for personals. It is very interesting blog. I found a nice site similar to this topic and columbia mo single. Adult Singles

6/11/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading this blog. I found it when looking for sites and blogs related to young single adult.
Regards, Kate.

6/23/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my www motoring gov uk site.
Have a great week!

6/25/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I was out blogging and found your site. It certainly got my attention and interest. I was looking for Bag information and even though this isn't a perfect match I enjoyed your site. Thanks for the read!

6/27/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my videogame buddy icons site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

7/03/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool Blog! If you get a chance I would like to invite you to visit the following grille guards blog, it is cool to!

7/25/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my wholesale woven basket site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

7/30/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
If you have a moment, please visit my used golf cars for sale site.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

8/09/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my american car dealers site.
Have a good day!

8/09/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
If you have a moment, please visit my used honda auto part site.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

8/09/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my make money stuffing envelope site.
Have a good day!

8/12/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool Blog! If you get a chance I would like to invite you to visit the following gambling Blog, it is cool to!

8/24/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Join our horsehorse racing informationracing club at a fraction of the cost of owning your own horse athorse racing informationwww.playboyracing.co.uk we welcome all new members join us now at a discounted rate.

2/06/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dating free game naruto online sim

2/26/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

chemical inside romance story

2/28/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

;-)





Hi Blog mate!!

I hope you don't mind me blogging anonymously like this. I thought the blog was really cool. I am also into 10 best casino online.

I found another interesting website blog at http://gamblingwebsites.blogspot.com. I am constantly looking for ways of making extra money online and think that online gambling could be a way of doing that.

Cheers for now and keep up the good work!

Try linkreferral.com - free website traffic generating and promotion program

3/08/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello... Discover the secrets of the WSactive directory domain window xp, atactive directory domain window xp. Good Luck and ThankSS!!

4/13/2007

 
Blogger Unknown said...

2015-11-2leilei
canada gooses outlet
ghd hair straighteners
nike roshe run
canada goose uk
mont blanc pens
air max 90
louis vuitton outlet stores
coach outlet online
oakley sunglasses
cheap oakley sunglasses
jordan retro 13
adidas uk
canada gooses
fake oakleys
michael kors handbags
jordan retro 4
michael kors bags
ghd hair straighteners
michael kors handbags
tory burch
north face uk
ugg boots clearance
adidas shoes
toms outlet
adidas trainers
michael kors outlet online
coach outlet online
kate spade outlet
instyler max
longchamp soldes
michael kors
michael kors handbags
ray ban wayfarer
michael kors handbags
coach factory outlet online

11/01/2015

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home