Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Let's count the uses of the word "let"

If men are babies that need to be coddled and disciplined, then apparently geeky guys are even more immature and need to be handled with a firmer, more motherly hand. MSN's advice today is all about what you, as a woman dating a geeky dude, should or should not "let" him do.

(By the way, this guy does not acknowledge any geek/nerd differences, so more evidence for the jury to ponder.)

Back when I was in high school, geeks were not highly regarded as potential boyfriend material. (Being one of them I am eminently qualified to attest to this.) Comic books, thick glasses, computers and chess club just don't match the selling potential of varsity jackets and cool cars.

Cool--he went to high school in Grease.

However, it's been noted that some geeks grow up to found software conglomerates, and even those who don't tend to be more agreeable later in life than they were back in their teens.

Translation: They have money now, so they have you. How to keep him so that you can keep up your payments on your Jaguar.

Like everyone after high school, we mellow out, ditch the young-wizard glasses, and develop the social skills that seemed so sorely lacking when we were pimply youths. However, that doesn't mean that we've lost our geekhood — we just conceal it better. More importantly, since you've grown up since high school as well, that geekhood which was so unpleasant back then is kind of charming now — try it and you may be surprised.There's no longer any shame in dating a geek, and it can be well worth the effort. The only issue is that sometimes you may find it difficult to understand our peculiarities.

He seems not to understand that there are now plenty of out and proud geeky women and that geeks can now date their own pretty exclusively.

Now we get a long list of things one must "let" your boyfriend do, with only the goal of keeping him satisfied in mind.

Geek care and feeding is easier than many think, because we are generally healthiest when left to our own devices. This doesn't mean we can't do things together; but we do thrive when given a little time to do our own thing. (This conveniently frees you from having to be part of it.)

If you get time to yourself, that's a side bonus and certainly not the reason you would decline to be bored by watching your boyfriend's every activity. And can we just ban the term "care and feeding" already? What next--Dr. Spock's Guide to Your Adult Male?

For example, let me wander off to the computer section while you're browsing CDs at the store. And though I am betraying my people to share this, adhere to the strict "yes-no rule" of computer product purchases: If I come back clutching an object in a brightly colored box, let me buy it only if I didn't buy something last time we were shopping. We do tend to overextend our finances, especially on computer equipment — it changes so fast, and the stuff is just so neat — so it also might behoove you to check the price tag and confirm that I really need this item. (My interpretation of "need" at this point will be highly subjective, so ask the tough questions.) Remember that there's a good chance I only want it because it's new. Geeks are suckers for new stuff.

Fuck that. Why take on the headaches and the fights? Separate. Checking. Accounts. Anyway, if he's a software conglomerate, he can probably afford all the damn doodads he wants.

We geeks are comfortable in herds, so keeping yours content requires that he have the opportunity to associate with his own kind now and then. Conveniently, this also solves the movie problem: Our taste for multiple viewings of certain films may not appeal to you, so let us go with our friends as often as we like.

You women, whose lives revolve around the care and feeding of men, may not understand these things called "friends". Nonetheless, you should allow your boyfriend to have them. You don't see the appeal of a baby rattle, either, but you let your baby have one, don't you?

If you live together, it's also helpful to grant your geek a little space to call his own. Here we will build our model airplanes, operate our ham radio, play our games, whatever — all in gleeful privacy. After a school career of constant abuse, we are rather unsurprisingly embarrassed by our geekdom, so letting us practice it in solitude is a very considerate gesture. We'll appreciate it and you won't have to move all our miniatures off the kitchen table every time you want to eat.

Not-subtle translation--you get the kitchen to do womens-stuff. Let him have the office. The reality of this is nowadays is that geek guys are more likely to get involved in the "it's my turn on the computer" fights with their girlfriends than the "your stupid shit is everywhere" fights.

Geeks are among the sweetest and most adoring of boyfriends, and the old prejudice of greasy-haired basement dwellers has long since fallen by the wayside.

No it hasn't. But we are trying to figure out the lexicon.

We can dress ourselves and perform routine grooming tasks,

Thank god, you don't have to change a diaper.

and as geeks move into the mainstream, we are becoming more sought after by savvy women. If you don't share some of your boyfriend's more esoteric hobbies, remember that they'll almost never interfere with all that you do share — so let him enjoy them.

Get that, women? Men have these things called "friends" and "hobbies" that you may not understand, but your mommy-girlfriend duty is just to love and indulge his harmless flights of fancy.

51 Comments:

Blogger annejumps said...

What a ridiculous article (his, not yours).

10/26/2004

 
Blogger mythago said...

More proof that being geeky and out of the mainstream doesn't preclude one from being a self-centered ass. "Girls, cater to ME!"

10/26/2004

 
Blogger Barbara Preuninger said...

Did you ever consider collecting all your "msn-related" comments into one anthology? They are truly awesome and funny. I think you could publish them in a book. (But that's just my totally random opinion - I have no expertise in this!)

I even tried copying your style: Just For Fun (Not sure if my snarky commentary in that post lives up to yours...)

Since I'm not able to post as often or as well as you, it's great that I can come here and read the things I wish I could say!

10/27/2004

 
Blogger David Ogden said...

Hi there, I thought you might be interest in this is you are interested inebooks I have found a great site aboutebooks

Nioce looking blog by the way

10/05/2005

 
Blogger David Ogden said...

I have am interested in computer software and have recently found in updated information about computer software here.

keep the link going

10/07/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Came here searching for match dating

Not a bad site you got here mate!

Check out mine
All about
match dating

10/15/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a lot of premium products and services being offered for free. What’s best is that there is a seemingly

11/03/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

##Deadeasy##

11/03/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GROW IT YOURSELF!

11/05/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Learn how to quickly create an RSS feeds with our RSS feeder, for high link popularity and ultimately better search engine rankings.

11/06/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful Blog.
Thanks for all the information and for putting up a useful site.
archiving email system south america

11/06/2005

 
Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/06/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed you blog about mineral well tx. If you would like to learn How To Get 1 Million Visitors On Your Web Site
Without Paying A Dime In advertising !

Are you frustrated by the lack of traffic coming to your site?

If I would tell you that after months of research, I just got my
hands on the most hidden secrets... very sneaky tricks !

Click here : mineral well tx

11/07/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the end of Each lesson their will be Valuable FREE Marketing Networks where you will be able to

11/11/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

I've created a new resource for muslim baby girl name you can with lots of information and links related to muslim baby girl name
Now I've finished I thought I look around for other muslim baby girl name sites and see what everyone else is talking about, you know get ome more muslim baby girl name ideas etc...
This blog looks pretty good, though I'm not sure my muslim baby girl name site will get this many visitors - ah well, can only but try ;)
If you have a spare moment please visit my muslim baby girl name site and let me know what you think, I'll check back here again later.

Bye
Steward

11/19/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice information

12/23/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For 2006 nice blogging..I liked it!

Warm Regards

cheap airplane flight

1/06/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

J'esp�re que je peux le faire de nouveau � lis les poteaux encore.Sincerely, Louisa cash advance service

1/07/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ho passare un istante che penso a questo proposito ed ho alcune pi� domande.Adios, Rebecca cash faxing loan no payday

1/08/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apenas deseo conseguir toda la investigaci�n del payday cash advance washington apartada.With Compliments, Lizeth payday cash advance washington

1/08/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Che altro devo conoscere?Aloha, Sheba 500 cash advance

1/08/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bloggs are such a wonderful way to plublish ones thoughts. Thanks for letting me visit and leave a comment. Love your theme. Gonna have to find me a cool one like this. Come by my site some time. It's got what makes the penis grow naturally related stuff.

1/10/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog. Keep it up. I have a site that might be of interested to you if you are seeking enzyte consumer reviews related items. You can find it here, enzyte consumer reviews

1/11/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a similar website tied to guide penis enlargement Come by some time.
I absolutely fancy your website, It's bookmarked! This information is fine stuff.

1/13/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great title. You have a great blog. I was searching for sizepro penis enlargement when I landed here. I've got a similar site related to sizepro penis enlargement you might want to check out.

1/13/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site you have here, I bookmarked it! I was looking for g penis enlargement or something like it. Very informative.

I have a g penis enlargement related site.

Check it out when you can. ;)

1/13/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a similar website tied to penis enlargement what Come by some time.
I absolutely fancy your website, It's bookmarked! This information is fine stuff.

1/13/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you sure got a nice blog here with some very interesting stuff. I've already put a bookmark on it.

It's a pity I spend so much time blog-surfing that I often forget my own. Silly me. :) But its so addictive.

Anyway, a lot of people are trying to make cash online nowadays, so I thought I'd help you out with a site that has some great tools.

doctor penis enlargement
Not bad to sit around doing nothing while your bank balance keeps growing. :)

1/13/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a site similar to yours. It's related to penis enlargement drugs

Drop by when you can.

1/14/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I skim a lot of blogs, and so far yours is in the Top 3 of my list of favorites. I'm going to dive in and try my hand at it, so wish me luck.

I've got a site you might be interested in (mine is about attack penis enlargement ) I know, it sounds strange, but it's like anything, once you learn more about it, it's pretty cool. It's mostly about attack penis enlargement related articles and subjects.

1/14/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is great If you ever need penis enlargement techniques related stuff, I'm sure you'd be interested in penis enlargement techniques

1/14/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you seen any information on seattle dating ? I just have not had the best results when blog surfing today. Anywho back to my endless search for seattle dating .

1/15/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Savez-vous au sujet de ce qu'est toute l'exag�ration ?With Compliments, Corrin advance cash fast in loan online payday quick until

1/16/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate your blogs content. Gotta run.
cheap computer

1/17/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Non sono realmente sicuro perch� sono cos� interessato nella online home loanRespectfully, Raleigh online home loan

1/22/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a cool blogger! By the way, while googling for utah gay personals I found a nice site for singles - http://top-personals.net, feel free to take a look if you are interested.

1/23/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A volte il relativi duri conoscere che cosa dire o.Adios, Goldie payday cash advance new york

1/27/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog. Keep it up. Here's a subject that may interest you; poor credit home loan http://thehomemortgageguide.com Need Information on purchasing a home? poor credit home loan

1/29/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Je suis heureux de trouver un autre emplacement de payday cash advance washington maintenant que je sais � ce que ressemble bon.Byebye, Darell payday cash advance washington

1/31/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Il y a probablement peu d'emplacements qui font ce meilleur que celui-ci.Byebye, Burton texas home equity loan

2/01/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Blog. It's nice. Here's a subject that may interest you; bad credit mortgage loan http://thehomemortgageguide.com Bad Credit? bad credit mortgage loan

2/01/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good info

2/01/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the infomation

2/01/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just got back from getting this new computer. It sure has been a long time since I've been on a keyboard. I guess this typing thing is just like learning how to ride a bicyle. Shoot, if I can do that, learn more about Self employed mortgage uk and go out and get my own computer, I know I can do it. Just needs a little practice I guess. I heard that if you start engaging in Instat Messaging conversations, that helps to build up some speed. I dunno... oh well, later.
Self employed mortgage uk

2/04/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is reincarnation real or is it just a farse. I couldn't tell you, but I do know one thing.
There is only one life to live here and I'm gonna make the best of it. Whatever come to be of my
next life, if there is one, I just hope someone is generous enough to give me some dibbs on NOT
being the size of an insect that could get squashed in one fell swoop.
If it really is true that it would cost more money for Bill Gates to pick up a $100 bill than
just let it sit there, then I would have not have a hard time following this man and help him
pick up his money. I mean, I could do that a couple days a week at least to pick up some
part-time income, at least until I get my own softare empire setup.Set up a host in unix sco

2/05/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Earn residual income for a lifetime.

2/08/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Babys.
Looking for a name?
Come and check out my website :)
spanish baby name

2/11/2006

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors outlet, oakley vault, ray ban outlet, kate spade handbags, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, prada handbags, longchamp handbags, tiffany jewelry, louis vuitton outlet online, coach outlet, christian louboutin, polo ralph lauren outlet, nike air max, burberry outlet online, jordan shoes, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co jewelry, red bottom shoes, gucci handbags, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet online, nike shoes, kate spade outlet online, longchamp outlet online, prada outlet, coach outlet, louis vuitton outlet, coach purses, longchamp outlet, true religion, louis vuitton, cheap oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet, chanel handbags, coach outlet store online, polo ralph lauren, burberry outlet online, nike free, christian louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, michael kors outlet store

11/16/2014

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

uggs outlet, uggs on sale, beats headphones, lululemon outlet, vans outlet, nfl jerseys, soccer jerseys, nike trainers, wedding dresses, jimmy choo shoes, ferragamo shoes, mac cosmetics, chi flat iron, rolex watches, longchamp, new balance outlet, abercrombie and fitch, p90x workout, bottega veneta, reebok shoes, canada goose outlet, ghd, roshe run, mcm handbags, soccer shoes, instyler ionic styler, valentino shoes, canada goose outlet, ugg outlet, north face outlet, celine handbags, north face jackets, ugg soldes, herve leger, giuseppe zanotti, mont blanc pens, nike huarache, ugg, asics shoes, insanity workout, canada goose outlet, hollister, canada goose, marc jacobs outlet, ugg boots, birkin bag, babyliss pro

11/16/2014

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

swarovski jewelry, converse shoes, ugg, canada goose pas cher, hollister, oakley, canada goose, juicy couture outlet, pandora uk, hollister canada, converse, moncler, louboutin, replica watches, timberland shoes, pandora charms, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 case, ray ban, swarovski uk, uggs canada, moncler, gucci, moncler, vans, montre femme, juicy couture outlet, moncler, ralph lauren, coach outlet, moncler, moncler, moncler outlet, links of london uk, thomas sabo uk, louis vuitton canada, supra shoes, baseball bats, wedding dress, hollister clothing, karen millen, canada goose uk, toms outlet, parajumpers outlet, air max, lancel, canada goose, nike air max

11/16/2014

 
Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

asics shoes
gucci shoes
nike shoes
coach outlet store online
michael kors handbags
christian louboutin shoes
yeezy boost 350
eagles jerseys
nike trainers
cheap oakley sunglasses

11/09/2017

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home