Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

More thoughts on one of my favorite movies

Beats me why I'm on a sudden streak of wanting to write about these things. Might have something to do with my recurring bouts of the flu that land me in front of the TV for hours at a time. Anyway, I was thinking about the post I wrote recently on "It's a Wondeful Life", and how I criticized the scene where George Bailey finds out that his wife would have been, horror of horrors, unmarried if he had never been born. I am always jarred by that false note, but there are other ways that I really like the way that their relationship in portrayed.

One scene that really stays with me, and a lot of viewers I'm sure, is the scene where George goes bananas with his anger, scaring his wife and his children. His wife is angry with him, but ultimately impotent to do much about it except invoke his responsibilities as a father to guilt him into calming down. (Obviously, it doesn't work.) The dynamic at work is so very, very common in intimate relationships between men and women it is cringe-inducing.

Even happy people in happy homes go through foul moods and existential crisises. In my house, existential crisises are a dime a dozen. I think that's common with creative people--the two big existential crisises being, "What am I doing with my life?" and "Why do I feel so alone?"

Crisises and foul moods are things to get over or to indulge, and there is no doubt that who gets indulged and who has to slap on a smile and get over it are groups that are sifted out by gender, as well as by social class. (I remember many a time in college being amazed at fellow students who didn't take on a full classload but just lived off their parents while they were finding themselves. I would have been cut off and told to work for a living for my own good.) But my interest here is in gender roles in who gets indulged and who has to get over it, because in the context of a marriage, like the one in "It's a Wonderful Life", the husband and wife are usually of the same social class.

I cannot for the life of me imagine a scene in a movie playing out in exactly the same way as George Bailey's temper tantrum with the sexes reversed. Can you imagine Mary Bailey screaming and yelling like that? Yeah, didn't think so, even though she is facing the same dashed dreams and financial ruin as George. It's not necessarily that women are naturally more gentle, though it reads like this in the film. It's just that female temper tantrums are not indulged, as a general rule. If the scene had played just like that with Mary, instead of George, losing her temper, the audience wouldn't have maintained sympathy throughout but would have instead been horrified at her ineptness as a mother--and as a wife.

There's strict gender role-playing in that scene. Authority and responsibility for everything are Men's jobs and we cluck in sympathy when they suffer from the burden. (That George the person is breaking under real pressures doesn't change the gender roles at play here, I don't think.) But Women's only real responsibility is to comfort their hard-working men and they must live frivilous lives in order to keep the good cheer that their men can find comfort in. (Think of how Mary is busy with the frivilous task of hanging Christmas decorations while George is suffering.) It's the angel-in-the-house view of marriage that is put forth in this scene, and it works on the audience almost unconsciously.

These gender roles are pretty hard to escape. One big frustration in my life is how to subvert this kind of mindless role-playing in my own relationships with men. It's difficult to avoid petty squabbles and resentments when one person's foul moods are Romantic whereas the other's are Pouting. And it's even harder when I realize how thoroughly I've absorbed the notion, albeit unconsciously, that my problems need to be covered up while I have usually done what I can to comfort the men in my life and give them respect for their burdens. Suffice it to say, in trying to get past these mindless patterns, I've had my creativity taxed.

Of course, the argument can be made that the film ultimately rejects the version of manhood where suffering is Romantic and argues instead that we should see ourselves mostly as members of our community and part of a larger whole. I definitely am impressed by how well that point comes across, and how it's an excellent refutation of the John Wayne image of manhood.

42 Comments:

Blogger Amanda Marcotte said...

No, I haven't. I hope it doesn't come across that I'm singling out the movie for that reason. More that I find their argument to be incredibly touching and realistic, exemplary portrayal, albeit involuntary, of how these roles strain understanding between married people.

12/21/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was taken aback recently when a male friend who had confided many private things to me reacted negatively when I dropped a slight mention of something in my childhood that wasn't entirely pleasant. When I stopped to think about it, similar situations had plagued my prior relationships. I actually got to the point where I wouldn't say anything specific about the "negatives" in my past unless directly asked.

I agree that it wouldn't be tolerated for Mary to throw a tantrum. Even modern films are like that. If Ione Skye was standing outside of a bedroom window holding up a boom box the audience would turn on her character that second, deeming her psychotic or aggressive (often synonyms in some people's minds when it comes to women).

And yes, I realize Say Anything isn't that modern.

-Brandy

12/21/2004

 
Blogger Diane said...

Here's another take: http://tartcity.com/dees_story.html

12/21/2004

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I recently watched "Gone with the Wind" and I think the tables are somewhat turned there. Scarlett certainly throws enough fits and usually gets indulged. My mom, not the most feminist of women, said that the take home message for her was that women were the ones who dealt with all the crap during and after the civil war. They were the strong ones. I haven't really analyzed it thoroughly, but I've always had a love-hate relationship with the movie.

12/22/2004

 
Blogger Elayne said...

Of course gender roles were stratified then. George was the breadwinner, not Mary. Therefore, the feelings of guilt over financial ruination would naturally be George's. Of course, you could say that the alternate-reality Mary is even more disturbing because she's not only an unmarried frightened mouse but she's - *gasp* - gainfully employed!

12/22/2004

 
Blogger Amanda Marcotte said...

Yeah, it's hard to argue that Mary is worse off unmarried with a job than fixing to be widowed and penniless.

12/22/2004

 
Blogger fMhLisa said...

Wow! I love this, I'm so glad I followed Hugo's advice to come read here. Great post.

12/22/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, your blog has some interesting topics in it. I also have one that pretty much talks about work from home business opportunity related stuff. You should take a look at it sometime.

10/11/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats a great view point. I had not really considered it from that perspective before regarding work from home no fee. Put it this way, most people who are rich have their own businesses many of which started as a work from home based business. I have an article based webs site discussing such issues as work from home no fee which should be an eye opener for most people thinking of starting their own home business. Keep up the great information with your blog.

10/13/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey nice site Check out this one about adult personals russian really good adult personals russian

Enjoy adult personals russian

10/14/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Blog

Best Wishes

I have a site80 moillion DownLoadable MoviesIf you have the time stop by.

10/15/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog has some good stuff here. This is also a good site for internet marketing promotion advertising.

10/19/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very lovely came here looking for married adult friend finder
the information about married adult friend finder is great :)
Wish you lots of luck with ur blog

visit my site about married adult friend finder

10/21/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.ebooks4u.tv

10/22/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a free live scannersite. It pretty much covers free live scanner related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

10/23/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you have a great blog here about business from from home home honest honest internet opportunity successforfreedom.com work work. I'm definately going to bookmark you.
business from from home home honest honest internet opportunity successforfreedom.com work work. Come check it out when you have time.

10/23/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey i got here searching for ways to make fast cash
Your sites not too bad!

You got good rankings for them keywords ways to make fast cash

I would personally like to ask you to join my site its a forum about making money online , affiliate programs etc... your a good writer , hope to see you there maybe you can learn too how to make extra cash.

Thanks
ways to make fast cash

10/24/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site. Check mine out if you can. cash flow statement

10/26/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I just came across your blog about print advertising and wanted to let you know that I am impressed with the information here. I also have a website with an added resource that pertains to print advertising so I know that your blog is fantastic. Continue with the great resource that you are providing to everyone on the Net!"

10/26/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Consider the power of being able to create incoming links to your site any time you want them...

10/27/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A

11/29/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From what I can see, not many blogs talk about stuff like waraji sandals for sale and that is sad. I think your blog is great that way.

keep it up.

1/27/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you struggle with bad credit, credit card debt, or are facing bankruptcy, our bankruptcy/dect counselling resources can help you understand your finances better and help you improve your financial standing.
repayment
Debt Resources Services.

1/27/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now you can get this powerful new business making money opportunity way to stay home and cash-in with OVER ONE-MILLION hot products that are already selling like crazy on the Internet...

1/28/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Search engine optimization, submission and highly-targeted traffic can be found exclusively at www.TheOnlinePromoters.com

1/29/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many Child Care Providers charge a supply fee each year for children; others factor in materials into their weekly or monthly costs. But supplies are expensive, and whether it is a seperate fee or not, smart shopping is imperitive to make those dollars strech as far as possible. Here are some money saving tips or ideas from Child Care Providers and parents alike.
Link to my site: child care pittsburgh

1/29/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's time to take charge of your future and independence by having your own business!

1/30/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good post

2/01/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woah! I never thought I would finally come across a Mortgage loans uk type of site. I have totally been searching for this high and low. I hope my blog readers like this resource because it gives you precise information. Really cannot go into much detail here as I am totally absorbed on the site right now, but thought I would pass it along in case anyone might find it useful. Okay, I am off here. Later!
Mortgage loans uk

2/04/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great opportunity. Just push a button 4 times per day and make $1,000's per month within one year.

2/06/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of these signs of a cheating spouse are "Tongue in cheek" while others are tell tale signs that commonly appear with a cheating husband or a cheating wife, there is no copyright.
Link to this site: relationship break up advice
http://relationship-faq.info/

2/09/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it...
Good effort :)

If you got time , come visit my site, http://earthdwelr.moviecity.hop.clickbank.net.
It pretty much covers where to download movies and similar stuff.

2/17/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thought I would stop by and say "Hello There!" It's been a hectic but very worthwhile last few days for me. In searching for more pet related info on the Internet, I came across your site. I appreciate your content. It's been a great help in collecting more info on build credit. Thanks again and have a great day!

2/19/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is creative, Keep up the great work. Here's the secrets a lot of people are searching for; equity home loan mortgage http://thehomemortgageguide.com New Information revealed! equity home loan mortgage

2/20/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truly couldn't agree much more.Great input, now back to working on credit card debt consolidation service.Thank you so much,credit card debt consolidation service.

2/23/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello :)

I am able to read and find the information I require thank to Ur site... It is very good written and also very useful...

Regards,
make online fast money

3/01/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So much information so little time.Love to blog more, but need to finish book report on consolidation counseling credit debt service.Exhausted,consolidation counseling credit debt service.

5/11/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a great opportunity, no selling, no phoning, no recruiting PERIOD!

7/09/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am looking for man personals related resources and I found this blog. It's very nice.
Regards, Kate @ Top Adult Personals

7/12/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Join NOW for FREE...

The Quick and FREE Way to Get a SWARM of Visitors to Your Site!

To find out more visit: low cost referral marketing site. It successfully exposes FREE information covering Traffic and low cost referral marketing related stuff.

8/08/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a used golf cars for sale
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

8/13/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog on account income online setup. I've stumbled on a superb money making website. Linkreferral is free to join and drives traffic to your website in an inivitive way (the more sites you visit, the more links you get back to your website.)

I've only been a member of Linkreferral for aproximately 2 weeks but I have already seen the volume of people coming to my site double - if not treble.

Linkreferral is not only driving visitors to my website but as a result my affiliate sales income has doubled also.

I really cannot push this website enough. It is free and it is fantastic!! www.linkreferral.com is a must for money making opportunities online.

2/15/2007

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home