Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

"The Dead" and "It's a Wonderful Life"

Fantastic call to get John Huston's film version of Joyce's masterpiece of a short story, "The Dead", released on DVD for Christmas. However, I don't ever see "The Dead" finding a place amongst Christmas classics because its melancholy is too evident, and there's no tacked-on happy ending to leave people with a warm Christmas glow. Structurally, it's the opposite of "It's a Wonderful Life", at least from the point in the latter where George Bailey is considering suicide. "Wonderful Life" really starts there, at a point where someone is lost in solitude contemplating death and ends in a joyful holiday party. Needless to say, "The Dead" begins at such a party and ends with a man contemplating, among other things, the inevitability of death.

Still, I'm one of those people who thinks that the singing and the dollar bills at the end of "It's a Wonderful Life" doesn't wipe away the disquieting questions that are raised during the course of the film, similiar to those raised by "The Dead", questions of what a life is worth, and how to live under the constant shadow of death. Why our favorite Christmas stories address these big and morbid questions, I don't know. ("A Christmas Carol" also hangs death over Ebenezer Scrooge's head to push him into reconsidering what he values in life.)

In both, the characters receive a real shock to the system by contemplating "other lives" of their wives, in a telling bit of detail. The disquieting experience of contemplating the life that your nearest and dearest has or could have without you is a common one, I'm sure, one that brings up feelings of jealousy, but also is a cold reminder of the transistory nature of life--your spouse's life will go on even if you were to disappear tomorrow. In "The Dead", Gabriel Conroy is faced with the knowledge that his wife had this profoundly upsetting experience before she married him, an experience he never knew about. The knowledge sort of paralyzes him, and on that realistic and ambigious note, the story just ends, leaving the reader alone with the same sad questions that Conroy is asking himself.

The way that "Wonderful Life" disposes of this plot point is probably the weakest part of the movie. When the question of who his wife would be if he had never been there arises, it's summarily dismissed by showing that she would be a spinster, which the movie makes more than clear means that she wouldn't have much of a life at all. It's a logic-defying conclusion that points to the pat answer to George Bailey's existential crisis, that answer being, "We find meaning in our life through other people." This is exactly the answer that eludes Conroy at the end of "The Dead", because it is in fact, too pat. After all, he has been rejected momentarily for the memory of a dead man, exactly the sort of thing that will frustrate your attempts to find meaning in other people.

That being said, I think the simplest interpretation of "It's a Wonderful Life" doesn't get at why people find themselves drawn to this film. Sure, on the surface the movie seems to say that all you need to find meaning in life is love and community, but it also seems to slyly recognize this is a gentle lie we tell ourselves in order to get through the hard times. I can't quite put my finger on why this is the impression I get from the film, though I think that Jimmy Stewart's manic and brillant performance has a lot to do with it. Nothing really in the movie ever makes up for the outpouring of empathy the audience feels when George Bailey realizes that no make how hard you work in life, no matter how good a person you are, there is no way to protect yourself completely from failure, and subsequently no bulwark to build against death itself. Or that's how I see it, anyway.

12 Comments:

Blogger Phila said...

This is a very intelligent reading of "It's a Wonderful Life," and I'm glad to see it. What I think people miss about the movie - and this is true of a lot of Capra's work - is that they're colossally despairing movies which rely on a deus ex machina, (the ironic nature of which is well recognized in Euripides, for starters). Capra shows how hopeless situations are resolved by miracles, providing a happy ending that nonetheless leaves the audience aware of how things would really have turned out. I think some people have a kneejerk dislike for his movies - this one in particular - based on the assumption that people of his era were more naive than we are, and thus must be taken at face value whenever they seem to be saying that virtue always triumphs.

FYI, two very interesting old movies dealing with the effects of capitalism on social relations are "Employee's Entrance" and "Edward, My Son." Really worth watching, if you get a chance!

12/14/2004

 
Blogger Andy said...

The Dead is a wonderful film. And the short story is even better, I think. It has probably one of the better catharses ever written. This is a pretty uncommon opinion, but I've always thought that Dubliners was a far better book than Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

Andy
http://www.agrandillusion.com

12/14/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

/ blog has all kinds of really cool stuff in it. www.christmas-mall-online.com

10/21/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's beginning to look like Christmas (Ok, So we're barely over Halloween)! But it's time to be begging to think a lot like a christmas carol movie , : - )

11/08/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am doing research for e-books on original gift ideas. That is how I ran into your blog . Do you have any brilliant suggestion for a Christmas gift for a woman by any chance? I already have several books done and posted at http://www.100mostoriginalgiftideas.com but I am looking to upgrade some of the ideas for Christmas gifts. Thanks.

11/15/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am doing research for e-books on original gift ideas. That is how I ran into your blog . Do you have any brilliant suggestion for a Christmas gift for a man by any chance? I already have several books done and posted at http://www.100mostoriginalgiftideas.com but I am looking to upgrade some of the ideas for Christmas gifts. Thanks.

11/15/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,

I am a writer and I research gift ideas for e-books on original gift ideas for Christmas and other events like Valentine's, Easter etc. I also organize gift ideas per receiver, like for babies, for kids, for teens, for grandparents, for dog lovers, for him, for her, etc Or I organize them by category like romantic gifts and inexpensive gifts. In my research I also go through blogs that mention gifts and gift ideas or events like Christmas. That is how I came upon your blog this post. I would appreciate if you would share just one successful gift idea with me, for instance a Christmas gift for a dad. I hope that my question doesn't annoy you. And I apologize if it does. I thought if I'd just ask enough people I'd wind up with plenty of good ideas to share with others again. That is what networking is all about, right? Or let's call it the spirit of Christmas. Let me know if I can do something for you. You can find my free e-books with gift ideas here: http://www.100mostoriginalgiftideas.com. God bless.

Chevalier Blanc

11/30/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda, Your post on was very interesting and informative and helped me enormously in my search for 100 Free Ebooks. Keep up the good work - John

12/02/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good info

1/31/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can i get more info?

1/31/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda,

I saw your post
regarding clickbank download .

You are welcome to place a link to
your blog or website on my high
traffic website for free. See:

http://www.thefreeadforum.com


The Free Ad Forum is a forum where you may
post your permanent search engine friendly ads daily for
free. I hope you take advantage of this free advertising
opportunity, We have a special section just for clickbank download .

Thank you,

John,

http://www.thefreeadforum.com
The Free Advertising Forum.

11/09/2006

 
Blogger yanmaneee said...

supreme
jordan shoes
supreme clothing
kobe shoes
canada goose jacket
jordan 4
steph curry shoes
jordan shoes
calvin klein outlet
stephen curry shoes

12/27/2020

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home