Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Monday, December 13, 2004

The End of Men?

I tried to think of a better title, but couldn't, so I just swiped the original one from the story. Anyway, this NPR segment on genetic science and the incredible shrinking Y chromosome is well worth listening to. When I heard the lead-in to the story, I flinched. For selfish reasons, I am very much of the opinion that men are a good thing that we should keep around. Of course, it's not up to me.

The basic premise of the story is accurate enough--the Y chromosome, compared to other chromosomes, is shrunken and shriveled. As this story points out, the Y chromosome has merely 80 genes on it, compared to the 1000 that the X chromosome has. As anyone with a passing knowledge of genetics knows, the difference in size between the X and Y chromosome is the reason that there are a number of recessive genes that pass through women but only express themselves in men.

The compelling thing is that dry science like this cannot really be discussed by laymen without getting all our emotions ramped up. It's hard not to see all this as a topsy-turvy version of Genesis, a world where women are the standard and men the deviation. But that's a shallow reading, not at all the truth. The real truth is even more disturbing, that we are all just here talking about all this because of a fluke of nature.

But what draws people to the story is not the philosophical questions that are raised when considering how we're just one genetic accident from having never existed at all. No, we are interested in the idea in a world without men, that is, a world where gender doesn't exist at all. (On the whole, I don't like the idea, by the way.) It's shallow to think that people are interested in such an intellectual exercise out of some loathing for men. It's more that we want to know--what would people be like if there weren't two genders? Would we all suddenly lapse into a "true" version of ourselves once the idea of "man" or "woman" was stripped completely away?

Why is it that in most versions of this intellectual exercise-cum-fantasy that men are the sex that suddenly disappears? I doubt it has much to do with the genetics of the X and Y chromosomes. My guess is that since the great bulk of the day-to-day work of exaggerrating the differences between the sexes falls on the shoulders of women, then it's just natural. Men are the standard that we strive to differ from. Men are hairy, so women attempt to be unhairy. The one place men have less hair is on their heads, so women diligently work to make our hair look thicker, i.e., not mannish. Since we do the work of being a Gender, we are the ones who have a vested interest in the idea of a world without gender, which means that the standard we strive not to be like would be what disappears.

I understand the urge, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. These exercises are ultimately futile. Without two sexes, there would be no humanity; it's like asking what we would be like without language or opposable thumbs or something else that makes us human. You can't extract a part and expect the whole to still make sense. I fully support scientists doing everything they can to make lay people understand that sex is a matter of accident, not a decree from god. And that men and women are not opposites, but merely slight degrees of difference, less that a chromosome different from each other, and that while most people can be classified easily as one or the other, gender isn't set in stone. But.....

We have to work with what we got. The inequality between the sexes isn't the natural consequence of the male/female binary, so intellectual exercises getting rid of it are limited in value. Oppression is what it is, and needs to be dealt with as is, and not as the consequence of the accident that "it takes two".

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darn... I've been meaning to post on this for a while, then I forgot to, then I saw a post on Alas praising you... and... anyway, here are some thoughts if you ever re-read this:

1) I'm skeptical about the "shrinking Y chromosome" stuff. It's true that the y chromosome never undergoes meiosis, and thus never exchanges genetic material with other y chromosomes. However, the same is true of mitochondrial DNA. Of course, mitochondrial DNA is far more essential to life than the Y chromosome. Everything but the simplest bacteria have mitochondrial DNA, whereas half of the human population gets along fine without a Y! Still, genetically, sex is a bonus, but not essential.

2) If the male sex does disappear in some unspecified point in the future, I don't really think that's cause for regret. Sure, it would be a cause for regret to you, but you are already embedded in a culture which includes (and is dominated by) males. However, a male-less society would be sufficiently different (and its women would be sufficiently different) that it'd be fine. Well, it wouldn't necessarily be fine -- it could be brutally racist, or repressively conformist, or have jarringly frequent nanobot-based teardowns and reconstructions of cities which prevent anyone from becoming familiar with their homes to prevent them from having a sense of private property, or they could be a very nice society, just as on our Earth now, with its two-sex system, we have some pretty nice societies (Austin), and some pretty nasty ones (Afghanistan), but the fact that the male sex would be missing would not be one of their problems. This is like an 1850s person reacting to how the future would look in the 2000s by saying "what? No telegraph lines? But how can people communicate with each other?" The very absence of telegraph lines means they're no longer needed.

Julian Elson

12/22/2004

 
Blogger FoolishOwl said...

There's a bit in Ursula LeGuin's foreword to her novel The Left Hand of Darkness where she says that she doesn't mean that people could or should be of both genders in the future, but rather, in a certain light, they are.

While it's often worthwhile to look at the sorts of societies depicted in science fiction and fantasy, and what that says about the ideology of the author, I think it needs to be remembered that science fiction isn't really about the future, but rather a reflection upon the present, through estrangement. Or to put it more simply, it's not always all that literal.

It is interesting that there have been a lot of science fiction stories in which biological males no longer exist. I've also read stories in which biological females no longer exist, but that's less common.

I think there are two reasons for the popularity of the "world without men" scenario. The first is reversal: there's a long tradition of ignoring the existence of women, and not just as characters in fiction.

The second is a little more complicated. While I don't want to get too wrapped up in the nature of the Y chromosome, I think there is a sense among men that men aren't really necessary, biologically. If the only real substantive difference between men and women is that women can bear children and men can't -- well, then men, as a biological category, don't seem to really matter very much. I've had other men say this to me, on more than one occasion, and the thought had occurred to me.

I wouldn't discount the fact that many men *do* experience self-loathing, by the way.

I remember reading some ancient Greek drama, though unfortunately I can't remember the title or author, in which the hero is placed on trial, and acquitted, based on Athena's argument that men are active, women passive, in reproduction. That was connected to the medieval idea that semen carried little miniature humans, and that women merely hosted them. It all sounded like a case of protesting too much -- some sort of insecure feeling that men weren't really that important to reproduction.

Gender roles, and human sexuality, and actual biological functions, are three different things. I do think we'd be better off dispensing with gender roles -- or at least disconnecting them from association with biological functions. Likewise, sexuality in humans is much more varied, and much more social, than reducing it to its biological reproduction function allows.

1/07/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool stuff keep the posts comming medical penis enlargement

10/16/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

related you're sure to find unuiqe and useful. The **Christmas** site

10/21/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Imagine Thousands Of Links Back To Your Web Site From Other People's Blogs!

10/28/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What If This Could All Happen Automatically,
with a simple push of a button.....

10/31/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bloggs are such a wonderful way to plublish ones thoughts. Thanks for letting me visit and leave a comment. Love the title, "The End of Men?" Come by my site some time. It's got bigger penis related stuff.

11/02/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Blog. It's nice . If you ever need longer penis related stuff, I'm sure you'd be interested in longer penis.

11/02/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the World Wide Web is home to a great number of marketing opportunities that you could avail of,

11/02/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting blog you have here, I landed here on accident. I like the title of The End of Men? I was searching for something else and came across your site. I found it pretty interesting and entertaining. I got you book marked.

I will pop back in from time to time to see what you have new here.

I've got a new site up which might to be of interest to some. I run a increase semen volume related site.

11/03/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a huge fan so youmight like akc registered

11/03/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a fractal
site/blog. It pretty much covers fractal
related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

11/05/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'd like via an unsubscribe link at the end of Each Newsletter Publication.

11/10/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out Internet Marketing Christmas, this special ends on 12/21/2005

12/19/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you sure have a nice site here with some very interesting stuff. I have already bookmarked it.

It's a shame I spend so much time blog surfing that I often forget my own. Crazy me. :) But its so addictive and fun.

Anyway, a lot of people are trying to make cash online nowadays, so I thought I'd help you out with a site that has some great tools.

chick dick huge small
Not bad to sit around doing nothing while your bank balance keeps growing. :)

12/30/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

does this work

1/02/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is perfect and nice, we are offering to learn more visit or The End of Men? http://www.manifestingpower.com/premature-ejaculation.html
http://www.manifestingpower.com/premature-ejaculation.html

1/09/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for more information on computer hardware leasing ..If so here is a fantastic resource for everything related to internet marketing and computer hardware leasing with information, products, articles and more..Check it out here...http://www.cyberomics.com

1/09/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read your blog, � very nice.
I made myself a blog, I have a movies to download site. It pretty much covers movies to download related stuff. Check it out if you have the time.

2/19/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my toyota matrix infant car seat site.
Have a great week!

7/30/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found yours! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my toyota matrix performance parts site.
Good luck!

7/30/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found yours! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my toyota matrix review site.
Good luck!

7/30/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Experience Breast Enhancement in 5 Minutes Or Your Money Back!

2/07/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty good info. I have a cheap dropped domain
articles site. It pretty much covers everything I know about ##KEYWORD##.

Check it out sometime if you can.

4/14/2007

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home