Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Thursday, December 02, 2004

The saga of abstinence-only continues

The Daily Texan has a really good article on the abstinence-only push, focusing on the Bible Beltiest of cities in Texas--Lubbock. The teeth-grating stupidity from the abstinence-only side is really bothersome. It's telling that the people that they interview who actually have jobs educating young people are the people who say the program is foolish. The rah-rah abstinence people, as usual, are everywhere on the scale from naive to fearful to foolish to vindictive, but all of them are firmly dedicated to a pipe dream.

The story starts out at one of those prisons, I mean homes, for dirty teenage whores, I mean for expectant mothers. Particularly telling is this moment where we find out that "pro-life" really is just a euphemism for "anti-choice".

The worst part, she said, resting her chin in her hands, is that she isn't keeping the baby.

"My mom made up my decision," Kate said.

Once you commit the crime of fucking, you see, you lose your rights.

The article deals with the kids who take abstinence vows, an extremely new trend that thankfully swept West Texas after I left. I cannot believe that things have gotten worse there since I left, but there it is. If they had tried to get us to take abstinence pledges in high school, most of us would have just laughed in their faces. But apparently all these kids are eager to do it. And completely delusional, like this one couple they catch cuddling at an arcade.

Shaun Torres, 15, and girlfriend Stephanie Kenyon, 16, sit in the arcade of Cabose Restaurant in Lubbock. The began dating one month ago but have vowed to abstain from sex until marriage.

If you can last a month, you can last a decade after all! Actually, these kids will either break up soon or learn that dry humping just doesn't cut it after awhile. And when they do, I hope they use protection, but who knows what they will do when no one has told them how.

Apparently you can get contraceptive information in one Lubbock high school, though--the high school they set up to deal with the huge numbers of teenage mothers in the school district.

She said Matthews can talk about condoms and other forms of birth control because "if they've already 'done it,' it doesn't matter anymore."

Just more evidence that the abstinence-only crowd is more obsessed with the concept of virginity than anything. These girls are being treated like an aspirin bottle with its seal broken--alright, already spoiled so you don't have to worry about it anymore. This birth control information might have been useful to these girls before they got pregnant, but the mentality is that girls are not capable of handling that kind of information until they become women through marriage or motherhood.

And of course, they have the one obligatory quote from a know-nothing "Christian":

Ricky Poe, a youth pastor at PromiseLand Church in Austin who supports abstinence pledges, said television glamorizes sex and that popular TV shows never push abstinence.

"It's an uphill battle if we're trying to be in the majority," Poe said. "The fact of the matter is that the majority of teens find the liberty to have sex before marriage."

Fact: Teenagers did not have sex before television was invented. Ignore your English teacher with all those lying Shakespearean plays about dead teenagers in love. Back then, people barely knew what sex was. And people didn't hit puberty until 25. It's a fact. I'm sure it's in the Bible somewhere.

Anyway, I don't want to just copy every tiny outrageous thing about this story. Read it and enjoy!

13 Comments:

Blogger annejumps said...

http://www.livejournal.com/community/feminist/1483657.html
The article it links requires registration.

12/02/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lower-class teens did hit puberty a bit later in the good ol' days, owing to stunted development owing to widespread malnutrition and disease. Of course, with modern sanitation, more abundant and healthy diets, and widely available healthcare, children have developed with fewer impediments, and thus hit puberty faster.

... hey, maybe those conservatives DO have a realistic plan for keeping those damn kids' raging hormones in check after all! It all fits together, you see.

Julian Elson

12/02/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone who spent the first eighteen years of my life in Lubbock, I can tell you that the virgin ring was alive and well in the early nineties. I knew girls who took the pledge, wore the ring, and promised they would present it to their husbands on the wedding night before bestowing upon him the “ultimate” gift. Granted, I knew absolutely no boys who wore a ring or took a pledge. There are many things I love about my hometown, but the abstinence only policy is unrealistic, harmful, and (unfortunately) spreading.

12/02/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Fact list corrupted the minds of the innocent by failing to mention that there was no such thing as homosexuality before television. A couple of those gay guys from Hollywood made it up.

Arthur D. Hlavaty (lj: supergee)

12/02/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I going to sound totally sexually lame if I say that I actually enjoyed dry humping a lot more than my early premarital experience with sexual intercourse?

From my point of view, the thing that makes abstinence till marriage so hard isn't that sexual intercourse is particularly necessary; it's that you have to have abstained the entire however many years between puberty and marriage (in my case fifteen years), and if you failed even once, well, you failed.

Admittedly, doing everything but and counting yourself a virgin is a morally debatable proposition, and probably not what any of the adults asking the abstinence pledge intends, but it's not exactly an impossible thing, if someone really wants to stick to it.

Lynn Gazis-Sax

12/03/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Amanda, I am out surfing for the latest information on "adult friend finder" and found your site. Although The saga of abstinence-only continues wasn't exactly what I was looking for, it caught my attention and interest. I see now why Google pointed me to this page while I was searching for "adult friend finder" related stuff. Not the best fit, but I spent a few minutes reading some of the posts anyway- interesting.

10/28/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ich sch�tze die ganze Hilfe, die ich empfangen habe.Sincerely, Alexander traditional wedding planner

1/27/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Certainly interesting stuff. I love surfing blogs. I was looking for fish online dating stuff when I landed on your page. I was looking more for fish online dating info but was interested in your blog. Keep it up.

1/29/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coins are my passion. I love to look at them and hold. I think about the history of the coin in hand. Who used it at one time? Where has it been? Did this Morgan dollar actually participate in a poker game in the old west? Did someone get shot for cheating? Its fascinating when you consider this type question. So much history in a litle piece of metal.

1/29/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a awesome blog! WOW!

I've got on penis exercise related info.

Come see when you can.

1/29/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just checking out blogs, and thought I would stop and read yours since we have some of the same interests and ideas. Some ideas are a little much and some are right on. I am glad I stopped by just to say hi I hope you don't mind. Some people consider it spam I DON'T but if they don't want people to post why do they leave it open for the world to see. I have some great wedding information and articles available for free around 2000 savings ideas so stop on in if you want... I also have some of the most informative sites on yoga and baby gifts and baby showers. Hope you enjoy. Thank you for your time.victorian wedding rings

victorian wedding rings

1/31/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings I was looking for online dating service information and I landed on your page. While it was not exactly what I was looking for , I like your Blog, great stuff. I'll bookmark it for future visits. If you have time check out online dating service, thanks again take care.

2/02/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

myspace code generator

2/18/2007

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home