Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Songs in cars, mostly

I feel rotten about not getting in on the Life CD swap. I was really busy right then, and am really, really bored right now. Plus, I wasn't too sure of myself for coming up with songs that would define my "life" in anything remotely like a chronological order. But I am making another mix CD for my road trip tomorrow, and since much of my musical loves were developed spending way too much time behind the wheel, here's a songs for cars and other traveling. I may actually bother to make it one day.

R.E.M--"Driver 8"
The song to go to when you are on a journey home that needs to be romanticized a bit.

Bikini Kill--"Rebel Girl"
One of the best songs evah. Made me realize that it was perfectly feminist to be a snot-nosed brat. Good for waking up to.

The Breeders--"Driving on 9"
Out in West Texas, you spend a lot of time on the road. To El Paso and back to Alpine. And then from Austin to either Alpine to El Paso and back again. This song made the whole thing seem romantic and made me feel like one day I would be driving somewhere, instead of just in a loop.

Gladys Knight--"Midnight Train to Georgia"
This song broke my heart--the pain of impossible decisions. Many songs that touch me are ones that came over my radio at late hours when I was alone.

Patsy Cline--"Walking After Midnight"
Put the word "midnight" in it and I'm yours. I used to spend a lot of time really late walking around pondering...stuff. Sometimes love, but sometimes the mysteries of the universe.

The Ramones--"The KKK Took My Baby Away"
I could put all sorts of Ramones tunes on here, but this one always makes me think of a long distance drive I took with my dad, where we were switching back and forth, his music and my music. I put in the Ramones on my turn and this song came on and my dad, who'd never heard it, just died laughing. And then he said he really liked it, which was nice. I like it, too.

Pulp--"Common People"
The first time I really listened to the lyrics was in the car. It pulled a tear from me. I have an odd relationship to the very concept of slumming, and he really draws the anger that it can cause out here.

Beastie Boys--"So What'cha Want"
Check Your Head and Ill Communication are basically the bookends of my high school years. My senior year, I made a tape with one on Side A and the other on Side B. We listened to it until our ears bled. Mostly sitting in my crappy pick-up truck, of course.

Sleater Kinney--"Banned From the End of the World"
I got The Hot Rock as a gift and I just threw it in the c.d. player to listen to as I drove around. This song impressed me so much I had trouble concentrating on the road.

The Raincoats--"Lola"
Friend's birthday. I'm sober, she's drunk. We're driving from a karaoke bar to downtown Austin. We're almost there but she starts begging to pull over to pee. I give in and she hides behind a bush to pee. She gets back in the car, and we listen to this song, singing along loudly all the way downtown. She'd never heard this cover before, but well, it's a pretty famous song and everyone knows all the words.

Motorhead--"Ramones"
My boyfriend and I were driving to see David Cross downtown. This song comes on a mix he just made and it sounds so good. We just start laughing and singing along at the top of our lungs. By the time we get to the show, we are in way too good a mood.

Devo--"Mongoloid"
I have recently made a friend and we go out together by ourselves downtown. We have fun, but decide to go home early. On the way back, I throw in Are We Not Men and she's all excited to find another hardcore Devo fan. We sing along, rocking out and by the time I drop her off, I think we realized that we were gonna be good friends.

Astrud Gilberto--"Who Needs Forever"
I'm in college, I don't really don't want to go to my house or to that of any friends. I drive around a little. The DJ on the college station puts this song on. I cry some, suck it up and go home. I adore this song.

The Kinks--"You Really Got Me"
Thought I would wind up with the best song in the world for getting everyone in the car all amped up. Good for putting on shortly before you reach your destination.


20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Y'see, this is why the LifeSwap CD thing is so hard; I've just read yours and realised I didn't put any Bikini Kill on mine, and now want to claw it back out of the postbox because it isn't a true reflection of me. Like it was ever going to be!

12/24/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI All I like this blog, cool!

10/30/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greatest Blog Post. Please visit this site on cheap international long distance
cheap international long distance

11/13/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Blog! Thanks man..

11/21/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shop at your favorite stores 24 hours a day. Why go to the mall when you can shop online and avoid the traffic

1/07/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of the most useful information I came across today. When searching for cream penis enlargement , I had come across your site. Always a pleasure to see other blogs related to my site cream penis enlargement Keep up the great work.

1/12/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a similar website linked to penis enlargement enlargement Come by some time.
I undoubtedly fancy your site, I bookmarked it! This information is fantastic stuff.

1/12/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a site similar to yours. It's related to stop smoking

Drop by when you can.

1/16/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have as much difficulty as me in finding information via a blog search? I just cannot get to the real information I am lookin for. Fortunately, I was lucky to come across your post and really enjoyed reading it.

--Thanks,
Fiberglass Truck Bed Cover

1/17/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on theme gift basket I somehow ended up on your page. As your described site is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about theme gift basket, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

1/17/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the info

1/17/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I would like to take this opportunity to say Thanks for letting me post my lemon law to your blog.

1/18/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He hecho definitivamente algunos errores en el trabajo de esto hacia fuera, pero todos para el mejor.Salaam, Elina american student loan consolidation

1/24/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed your comments. I have free movie downloads site I think you might enjoy.

1/28/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog. Keep it up. If you are looking for penis enlargement related stuff, I'm sure you'd be interested in penis enlargement Come check it out if you have time.

3/09/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My site is in a similar niche and some might find it as useful. I have a better sex related site focusing on better sex related topics.
Not what I was searching for, but none the less an interesting blog here. Thanks for putting it up. I've enjoyed reading alot of the text here. I got you bookmarked for the future, I'll be back.

3/26/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please make a visit to my tanning bed financing site.
Good luck in your endeavors!

7/06/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a auto loans interest rates site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Greetings.

7/21/2006

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

uggs outlet, uggs on sale, beats headphones, lululemon outlet, vans outlet, nfl jerseys, soccer jerseys, nike trainers, wedding dresses, jimmy choo shoes, ferragamo shoes, mac cosmetics, chi flat iron, rolex watches, longchamp, new balance outlet, abercrombie and fitch, p90x workout, bottega veneta, reebok shoes, canada goose outlet, ghd, roshe run, mcm handbags, soccer shoes, instyler ionic styler, valentino shoes, canada goose outlet, ugg outlet, north face outlet, celine handbags, north face jackets, ugg soldes, herve leger, giuseppe zanotti, mont blanc pens, nike huarache, ugg, asics shoes, insanity workout, canada goose outlet, hollister, canada goose, marc jacobs outlet, ugg boots, birkin bag, babyliss pro

11/16/2014

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

swarovski jewelry, converse shoes, ugg, canada goose pas cher, hollister, oakley, canada goose, juicy couture outlet, pandora uk, hollister canada, converse, moncler, louboutin, replica watches, timberland shoes, pandora charms, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 case, ray ban, swarovski uk, uggs canada, moncler, gucci, moncler, vans, montre femme, juicy couture outlet, moncler, ralph lauren, coach outlet, moncler, moncler, moncler outlet, links of london uk, thomas sabo uk, louis vuitton canada, supra shoes, baseball bats, wedding dress, hollister clothing, karen millen, canada goose uk, toms outlet, parajumpers outlet, air max, lancel, canada goose, nike air max

11/16/2014

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home