Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Monday, January 03, 2005

Books and bad habits

I read alot but my habits have slipped downhill a lot in the past few years. I am reminded of this when I read Roxanne's resolution to read one book a week. I thought, arrogantly as I lit my pipe, "By god, I read a lot more than that."

Then I checked out her list. And I was humbled. And forced to make a joke about Dave Barry to compensate.

On one hand, I could be honest and point out that I have read things like Dante and whatnot. But as a general rule, I don't crack open the ol' Dante for pleasurable reading now that I'm out of college. Not that I think my brainpower has slipped or anything, but I tend to get interrupted more than I used to so high level concentration just isn't my thing. Or that's my excuse anyway.

See, the last book I read took me a day to read, but it was the latest David Sedaris book and it was hysterical and a real page-turner. On my list of books to read are a book of interviews with punk rockers, a book about girl groups, a pulp art heavy history of teenagers and probably George Lakoff's new book when it comes to the library. Nothing heavy.

It's like that with me and movies. Once in awhile, I fall back into my old habit of watching deep and important films. Some I'll still watch in a minute. But mostly I still go for brainless fluff or TV shows that manage to tax my mind a little without making me anxious. (See lists below.)

I'm not a thoughtless turd. I still think I'm bright and with it. I had a conversation a few months ago with a friend who drunkenly told me that I am sort of amusing because I apparently make like I'm some punk rock chick but deep down inside I'm really bright and educated and I just told him that I didn't really think the two were opposites or anything. He was mildly humbled and corrected himself, but I knew what he meant.

I told him I disapprove of the division between high and low art. But obviously, the distinction still stings or I wouldn't have a post like this. But I did quote the Ramones to make my point, and it was pretty funny. So it's very confusing.

I'm stung by snobbiness. By no means do I think Rox is a snob, because true rejection of snobbiness would mean embracing high and low art without double-checking it or anything. I am acutely aware that many aspiring and educated people I know have sneered at me for having my rock music habits. And many of my good friends who didn't study what I did in college or didn't go at all sometimes worry that I think I'm better or something lame like that. The worst is people who come from the snotty, educated background but like to hang out with a sort of wide-eyed wonder at how cool they are being by being near the rock and roll, what they perceive as thuggish types that are many of my friends. Or, to put it more succiently, they're slumming.

Over dinner some friends and I had a discussion, started by a friend who teaches elementary school, about the nature of intelligence. The group at the table had varying degrees of education and varying relationships to reading books and whatnot. But it was generally agreed that intelligence is a combination of natural ability and education and that it's hard to measure because one person's stupid is another's bright. My boyfriend and I don't read the same stuff at all, and his magazines on motorcycles and bass playing sound like pure goobledy-gook to me. He can read my academic tomes just fine, but they bore the shit out of him. Who's smarter?

The teacher brought up a perfect example. She has a truly bilingual student, raised by a parent who speaks nothing but French and another who speaks nothing but English. His spelling sucks, but he's her best reader in the class. Is he smart? I say yes.

Long, rambling post and by no means am I picking on Roxanne. In fact, my point is why do we feel so damn threatened by the taste of others that even without being snobbed at, we get all defensive? Why is this so damn important?

16 Comments:

Blogger Amanda Marcotte said...

Dammit! I knew that would come off as offensive. :P

Nah, I think a lot of stuff was brewing. Yesterday I fell asleep wondering why I don't belly up to Shakespeare for bedtime reading anymore. And then my boyfriend and my cousin and I had a long and fairly funny discussion about what people read in various coffee shops around town and the pretension that is involved with reading Plato while attempting to pick up chicks. All in all, you were merely a catalyst.

1/03/2005

 
Blogger mythago said...

Maybe you don't belly up to Shakespeare because, well, you've read a lot of it? Ditto lots of Great Literature. You can re-read Moby Dick, and I recommend you do, but choosing less weighty reading doesn't make one lowbrow.

1/03/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"why do we feel so damn threatened by the taste of others that even without being snobbed at, we get all defensive? Why is this so damn important?"

My guess is that it has to do with maintaining our social status among people we know. We are constantly (unconsciously or not) measuring ourself against people we know, to see if we "fit in". For some, it's about who has the best car, for others it's about who can memorize the most digits of pi, etc.

-d-

1/04/2005

 
Blogger Jeff Pollet said...

And of course you do spend at least some time writing everyday--that counts for quite a bit, in my book (pun intended). Probably spending some time writing everyday is better for one's brain than reading Dante (or whatever) every day, if one has to make a choice.

And really, sometimes one does have to make that choice. Although, sometimes on has to choose between watching Escape from Witch Mountain and writing...

1/04/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My "resolution" is to work my way through the operas and a representative selection of the choral works and songs of Benjamin Britten. About two to three major items in these categories are regularly performed: A Ceremony of Carols, Peter Grimes, and more rarely, Billy Budd, all of which I find fascinating.

1/04/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you know anyone interested in student health insurance, have them stop by my site.

People who study student health insurance tend to enjoy this program.

11/06/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a leopard t shirtmerchant site called Holden Tees. We're a small company and we sell shirts and stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time

-Holden Tees

11/14/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! You really are very talented and deserve an honest compliment, congradulations! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a contemporary site/blog. It successfully covers contemporary related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time, Scott.

1/03/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the same subject line, it's interesting how many people look for information about impotence problem . I also like learning more about impotence problem One of the sites I find very informative is impotence problem I've learned alot from them.

1/11/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Learning about make penis enlargement has been a passion of mine. It's always good to see other sites interested in the same thing. One site I found helpful is make penis enlargement They don't cover all of the subject, but cover quit a bit. Thanks for providing such good information for all to enjoy. From all of us here in New York, have a great year.

1/13/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was reading a paper from a university about this subject. Nice article. You know what you are talking about. Along the lines of this theme, I have a similar site penis enlargement excercises where more information can be found on the subject. Thanks for the bit of information you posted here.

1/13/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a awesome blog! WOW!

I've got on dangerous penis enlargement related info.

Come see when you can.

1/13/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog. Keep it up. If you are looking for about penis enlargement related stuff, I'm sure you'd be interested in about penis enlargement Come check it out if you have time.

1/17/2006

 
Anonymous filming techniques said...

I have a habit to enhance my knowledge, and your blog give a unique info. Thanks for the sharing.
Reards

2/27/2012

 
Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

ugg outlet
ugg boots
fitflops sale
ugg boots
ugg boots
cheap jordan shoes
coach outlet
ugg outlet
ugg outlet
converse trainers

8/24/2017

 
Blogger 5689 said...

zzzzz2018.8.11
fitflops sale
adidas outlet
ralph lauren outlet
christian louboutin sale
adidas outlet online
moncler jackets
nike factory store
air max 90
louboutin outlet
chrome hearts

8/10/2018

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home