Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Christians with a pagan outlook

The President underlined his pagan beliefs in this Washington Times interview I found through Echidne today.

"I think people attack me because they are fearful that I will then say that you're not equally as patriotic if you're not a religious person," Mr. Bush said. "I've never said that. I've never acted like that. I think that's just the way it is."

Besides having to puzzle out why the President thinks that it's just fine to secretly believe that you can't be a Christian and a patriot at the same time as long as he hides that belief, I think we have an interesting insight into the way that wingnuts combine love of country and belief in God. It's downright pagan is what it is.

Well, it's pagan in the ancient, poly-theist way where each nation had its own god or gods looking out for them right next door to another nation that had its own god or gods. Being religious and being a patriot were one and the same if you were an ancient Greek, Egyptian, or Jew. The advantage of this is if you go to war with someone and pray to your god for help, you can be sure that he has no divided loyalties, since your enemy is praying to an entirely separate god. One of the pleasures of reading Homer is how he imagines the gods taking sides--Greeks or Trojans?

When you are a poly-theist and your neighbors have gods, you are likely to accept those gods' existence as well, even if you do not bother to worship them. All through ancient Greece, each little town had its own set of local gods, and I doubt anyone wasted time saying that their wood nymph was real but their neighbors were worshipping a false wood nymph. The Romans allowed a certain amount of religious freedom to their conquered people as long as those people paid tribute to their gods, which apparently was no big deal to poly-theists due to the "always room for more" mentality.

It's inevitable that with monotheism there is going to be a break between nationalism and religion. This too makes sense. There is only one god, but there are many nations. You go to war, you're both praying to the same god. Under monotheism, separation of church and state is the only way to keep the peace amongst various people who have different religious views. If one monotheistic religion tries to force its practices on another, well the other is going to react strongly against worshipping a false god, or at least doing it the wrong way.

Under monotheism, patriotism and religion must be kept separate. If your nation is going against your god, you have to side with god. Again, not a problem with polytheist patriots who just side with the god that's currently siding with their nation.

Bush and many on the Christian right are thinking paganistically. God, it seems is an American and belief in Jesus is the same as belief in America. One and the same. To fix the cognitive dissonance in their heads that comes from knowing that the Muslim enemies (and make no mistake, this is a religious war to many of them) are praying to very same god, they just deny it outright. Allah is a false god.

I think that it's extremely relevant that fundie Christianity has a good deal of emphasis on the prevalance of actual demons. Demons have always been the way that monotheists have their cake and eat it too--there is one god on our side and everything else is a demon. Not other gods with different, understandable priorities. Just demons working for pure evil.

I'm not trying to romanticize poly-theism by any means. Obviously, it doesn't do much to make people more tolerant or slower to dehumanize their enemies or anything like that. But it did cut back significantly on people coming up with ways to justify their ludicrious belief that there is one god and he must be on our side.

Combining love of god and love of country is pagan at its core.

27 Comments:

Blogger heydt said...

It's a little closer to henotheism, which is what the various Jewish tribes were once. The best examples of this are the 1st Commandment (thou shalt have no other gods before me... tends to imply there are other gods running about, doesn't it?) and the story of Jael in Judges. Each of the little semitic tribes had their own personal "one true god" but they didn't deny the existance of the other tribes gods, just their validity. They way some christian commentators have referred to "our god being stronger than their god" seems more henotheistic to me than monotheistic. If they were true monotheists they wouldn't admit the existence of other gods at all.

But no, not very christian, is it? Shouldn't we be loving and forgiving our neighbors?

1/12/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course, even if they're the same religion, it helps if your enemy is a different denomination, because then you can claim that they're trying to twist the religion into something it's not (I'm thinking of the Spanish Armada and the rest of the Protestant vs. Roman Catholic troubles).
Of course I'm also thinking of Jack "The Catholic Church was founded by Satan" Chick.

Andrew

1/13/2005

 
Blogger Elayne said...

I always thought it was just called tribalism.

1/14/2005

 
Blogger Joel said...

Interesting. Puts new light on the distinction that Jesus made in the Tribute Money incident. "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, render unto God what is God's." Clear separation of church and state. I've often noted on my own blog that Christ supported this separation.

George W. Bush has also attempted to combine conscience with pragmatism -- where you are guided on the first hand by principles and on the second by what gets you what you want.

1/16/2005

 
Blogger lawrence krubner said...

I'm reminded of a Texan car mechanic back in 1992 who was supporting Ross Perot for President. Apparently a reporter asked him why he was supporting Perot, and the fellow responded by citing the nation's problem with illegal immigration. He followed with the remark "If English was good enough for Jesus then why isn't it good enough for these people?"

1/18/2005

 
Blogger Editor Choice said...

Enjoyed your Blog. Continue your great job. Thanks
I wanted just to mention an interesting site regarding: Religions, with more than 500 pages, Religion News and Articles Religion Universe: Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Taoism (Daoism) and many others

10/11/2005

 
Blogger nope said...

Hi,

I'm sorry for being intrusive in to your blog. But I am Melissa and I am a mother of two that is just trying to get out of an incredible financial debt. See my hubby is away in Iraq trying to protect this great country that we live in, and I am at home with our two kids telling bill collectors please be patiant. When my husband returns from war we will beable to catch up on our payments. We have already had are 2001 Ford repossessed from the bank, and are now down to a 83 buick that is rusted from front to back and the heater don't work, and tire tax is due in November.

I'm not asking for your pitty because we got our ownselfs into this mess but we would love you and thank you in our prayers if you would just keep this link on your blog for others to view.

God Bless You.

Melissa K. W.
To see my family view this page. My Family


Learn How To Create Your Own Custom Income Generating System.

Welcome to AdWordEqualizer / Ad Word Equalizer Finds The Most Profitable Search Terms And Products For You!

Get Paid to Take Online Surveys!

10/12/2005

 
Blogger Askinstoo said...

Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

10/13/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

woodworking, most definitely an art form!

10/16/2005

 
Blogger Dominicans resources said...

FREE Wordpress Hosted Blogs With 10 Customised Templates To Choose From at Blogsilla.com

people with disability

Free unlimited number of blogs

10/17/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo, This blog is pretty neat. You should check out mine sometime. It pretty much covers business home make money online opportunity shopping related stuff.

11/15/2005

 
Blogger Goodman441 said...

I would like to say this is a great blog about make money online business. I think alot of you might be interested in my site too. Click the Link below to visit my site.
Click Here

Thanks!

11/15/2005

 
Anonymous Online said...

I know that you are probably very busy. When you get the chance, could you please critique my site for me at make money online.

12/08/2005

 
Anonymous Online said...

I know that you are probably very busy. When you get the chance, could you please critique my site for me at online opportunities.

12/09/2005

 
Anonymous Online said...

I know that you are probably very busy. When you get the chance, could you please critique my site for me at make money online.

12/09/2005

 
Blogger makemoneyonline1 said...

I like the information you got on your blog! thumbs up. have a look at my blog, it's about make money online and other make money online subjects. or just check out http://www.i-web.ws

amanda ;)

12/14/2005

 
Blogger Pet Index 2 said...

I think you have a really good blog. I have one about paid survey . please visit it and if your interested we could swap links

1/02/2006

 
Blogger Joe Berenguer said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my site:
Business Process Modeling
It covers Business Process Modeling related subjects.
Have a great day!

1/05/2006

 
Blogger Paul Adams said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you, Blogger, a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
make money online
It covers make money online related contents.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

1/06/2006

 
Anonymous Home Based Business said...

Hi, I spend a lot of time online checking out information on make money at home and as expected, I end up at a lot of sites, some that provide good information on make money at home related stuff and some that do not. I recently came across your site and although it did not provide me with the information that I was searching for, I found it very interesting and spent some time checking out all the good stuff that you have posted there. Hey, just keep up the good work.

1/14/2006

 
Anonymous joel said...

Debt elimination services can help consumers who have more debt than they can manage look into options of reducing or negating that debt. When searching for debt elimination, consumers should seek an agency that offers debt counselling and guidance based on an individual's unique circumstance.
financial advice
Debt Resources Services.

1/24/2006

 
Anonymous joel said...

With personal debt in the US at an unprecidented level, the good news is that help is at hand for those carrying the burden, in the form of the US Debt Help Manual, produced by the (PRWEB) October 2005__The US Debt Help Manual, produced by The Debt Counsellors. is a free, no_nonsense guide.
business debt help
Debt Resources Services.

1/24/2006

 
Blogger blog000111 said...

Many show a lot of interests in your blog which offers a great deal of information and discussion. Feel free to surf this small business site which has much of the small business related stuff, or visit these reseller, register domain, free website, and cheap hosting sites!

1/26/2006

 
Anonymous Debt Resources Services said...

If you struggle with bad credit, credit card debt, or are facing bankruptcy, our bankruptcy/dect counselling resources can help you understand your finances better and help you improve your financial standing.
debt help loan student
Debt Resources Services.

1/27/2006

 
Blogger Derek said...

Hey!! Very nice blog :0) I just got inside from washing and waxing my truck. It is my baby. Took me 2 hours though. So I settled down into my basement and started doing some web surfing. Anyways I am in the process of grabbing my masters degree and have spent the last 6 months researching personal student loan. In the midst of my surfing I landed smack dab in the middle of your blog. I hope you do not think I am intruding but I must say it is great blog. Even though your blog is way off base from personal student loan I found myself cruising through your blog archives for the last half hour :0) You have some nice blogging friends. Anyways, I need to get back to my mission. I wrote don�t your url and feel free to visit me here at http://www.student-loan-debtconsolidation.com. I am so busy so I can only update my site monthly. Keep up the great work.

3/27/2006

 
Blogger daniel said...

Well I just got back from the gym and I am beat. I am currently doing some research on finance finances loan loan personal student and stumbled across your blog. Which cracks me up really. The internet can certainly land you off base sometimes. Even though your blog is not completely related I think it is a cool blog. I have read back through the archives and lots of people make some very good points. Well I have been on-line forever it seems. I need to continue to plug away at finance finances loan loan personal student. If you have the energy swing by http://www.student-loan-debtconsolidation.com. I try to update my site weekly and maybe you will see something you like. I already snagged your URL and put it in my favorites. If you do not mind I will be back again. Great job!

4/30/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debt Settlement
Debt Relief can help you reduce your interest burden by charging an interest rate lower than the rate on your existing loans. Debt consolidation loan can also allow you to make small monthly payments by extending the loan period

7/02/2006

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home