Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Monday, June 21, 2004

Fundies have a higher divorce rate

Or apparently so, though these things are hard to measure. But even if fundamentalist divorce rates are no higher than the rest of the country, they are certainly no lower.
At Pandagon, the commentors are kicking around a number of reasons that fundie marriages might be more set up for failure than other marriages. As can be expected, there's a number of smarmy jokes about not having sex before marriage. But odds are that fundamentalists take the injunctions against premarital sex even less seriously than injunctions against divorce.
No, it's probably alot more complicated than a rash of people rushing into marriage in order to relieve sexual frustration and then waking up the next morning, realizing it was a mistake and getting divorced. That fundamentalists are likely to marry younger probably doesn't mean that they are rushing into marriage to relieve sexual tension. From what I remember from living in the Bible Belt, marriage is the defining event of adulthood. And most people aren't willing to wait until 26 or 27 years old to get accepted as real adults.
Outside of external factors like poverty rates and geographic issues, I really do think that the fundamentalist religion tears at marriages itself. First of all, there's the pressure to marry young. And, as some of the Pandagon commentors pointed out, there's alot of gender warfare going on in conservative Christian circles. Many, many women I've met who follow that faith chafe under the multitude of restraints put on their character and behavior and they don't even have a husband to talk to about it, since the husbands are the primary enforcers of "proper" female behavior. I know when I suffer from some ugly treatment due to sexism, I have my boyfriend to sympathize with me, and that's a source of strength. But the sexist relationship model creates a breeding ground for resentment and dishonesty.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I iked your posting on prenuptial agreement. Lateral thinking at its best. My prenuptial agreement web site covers similar issues. Great post.

10/10/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,

One of the categories in my article directory is Society ... while searching for blogs on divorce, I discovered Fundies have a higher divorce rate .

We all know that the best content on the internet is created by bloggers ... unbiased first hand knowledge, experiences and opinions.

As someone who may be interested in divorce, I believe you will find our Society section to be of interest. I am always looking for bloggers to contribute articles and help me to build the directory to everyone's benefit. As a contributor, you get the recognition of having your article published and seen by thousands of web users. The pride and satisfaction of seeing your article published in a prestige directory is hard to beat.

Not all of us are gifted with the ability to write to professional standards of grammatical correctness ... as a result, many bloggers don't bother to have their articles published.

I welcome an informal style of writing that matches your personality and fits in with your article content. I also appreciate articles that are uniquely based on your individual experiences, talents and ideas. All I request is that your content does not contain vulgar language, incite hatred or generally offensive.

Without any obligation ... please come over and have a look at my blog articles directory for yourself.

Best Regards
Emily

10/31/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Amanda certainly interesting stuff. I love surfing Blogs! I was looking for speeding ticket stuff and I landed on your page. I was looking more for speeding ticket
info, but was interested in your posts. Keep it up Take care.

4/06/2006

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home