Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

How to give up your individuality so someone will like you

It's been a long time for some reason since MSN has greeted me with a headline promising annoying and sexist dating/love advice. I was about to give up hope but then today I lucked out with a headline explaining that there are 7 habits that kill romance. Sure that I had some of them (listening to 60's girl groups and singing along? making sarcastic comments at every Bush speech on television? drinking diet soda with vodka?) or that my boyfriend did (dedicating farts to loved ones?), I dove right in.

Much to my amazement, the article was not dedicated to people who already have someone to annoy with their habits, but at someone who hopes to have someone to annoy in the future but fears said annoying habits might drive that special someone away. The idea is to divest yourself of your charming eccentricities so as not to scare away the dull, easily annoyed squares you hope to date. Annoying advice, to be sure. But sexist? It seems to be aimed at both sexes. Of course, I shouldn't have worried. Any dating advice aimed at sentient beings from MSN is likely to be grossly sexist. But onto the seven things that are too personal to be shared with someone you consider your intimate friend.

1. 45-minute showers

The cutely sexist advice advises that women shouldn't have to cut back as much as men. Why, I don't know, but I guess because we need our long showers because we are vainer or stinkier or both. I would point out that if your hot water heater gives you 45 minutes of shower, it must have its own bedroom. Anyway, you shouldn't take 45 minute showers for the sake of conservation. Being an enviromentalist is attractive, so if that were the reasoning, it would be good advice. But the reasoning seems to be that it's rude to commandeer the bathroom for so long. They seem to be unaware that many of us perverts actually will share a shower with a loved one who is in a hurry. The pluses to sharing are that you save water and you can get someone to scrub your back for you.

The principle behind this advice is that it's wrong to just take over a corner of the house and tell everyone else to bug off for a period of time. This advice is absolutely wrong. Having your time and space to yourself is the only way to make a relationship work. Take my word for it. How else are you gonna think up stuff to blog, after all?

2. Spoiled pets

For some reason, the writer thinks that spoiling pets is a particularly female trait.

Even if he's a pet lover, your boyfriend will be horrified.

How the stereotype got out that women spoil pets much to men's chagrin I will never know. Pet spoiling knows no gender. In my house, I am the voice of reason, pointing out that if the cats get every treat they ask for, they will become insufferable.

Anyway, it's not good advice. Spoiling the pets is one of those activities that many couples participate in together and it keeps them closer. Also, a spoiled pet is a good way to weed out people who will give you trouble in the future--if someone pitches a fit early on about a spoiled pet, you can show him/her the door and move on.

3. "Casual Sunday"

Apparently, the writer thinks that it's really unattractive to lay around in your pajamas all day on Sunday. Far be it for me to make implications about what this says about his sex life, but in what world is it not sexy to have better things to do than put your clothes on? Especially after staying up all night so that you need to sleep in until 2:00 PM? Believe me when I tell you that plenty of people are not really turned on by someone who leaps out of bed at 7:00 AM on Sunday morning, ready to take on the day.

4. All TV, all the time

The sex that is seen as needy enough to leave the TV on all the time for "company" is female. The person that would be annoyed by this behavior is referred to only with the masculine pronoun. Someone needs to let them know at MSN that women can read now and have no more need for constant television blather than men.

5. Pretzels in bed

In a weak attempt to offend both sexes equally, the writer singles out this as a male habit. However, it's still a woman's fault.

(guys are especially partial to this habit — it has something to do with getting yelled at by mom).

6. Aimless whistling

No telling if singing in the shower is also an impeachable offense. Or talking to yourself. I will say that I support this advice. Take up show tunes in the shower, if you must. You might actually win a karaoke contest one day with the practice.

7. Lack of silverware

This advice is sexist but also really, really weird, so I will quote it in full.

This one's especially for the men — After a certain age, a guy resigns himself to the fact that he doesn't need full dining-room service for four — one or two plates, an enormous bowl, and a knife and spork will do just fine (as well as make washing dishes a less onerous task). If you suspect a romance is in your future, invest in table settings for at least two.

Men should be offended that the writer thinks they are too dumb to realize that if you have someone over to dinner, she would probably like a fork of her own.

And if you think it'll be a really serious romance, go crazy and buy three or four.

Is he saying what I think he's saying? If he is, I would venture to suggest that once there's three or four people involved, most of us wouldn't call it a "serious romance". No matter what you call it, I don't think it's strictly necessary to serve a full dinner when arranging a three- or four-some; drinks will probably do. I imagine that Miss Manners would agree with me.

22 Comments:

Blogger mythago said...

Sounds like somebody was a teensy bit too close to deadline...

8/11/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Came here searching for mature dating

Not a bad site you got here mate!

Check out mine
All about
mature dating

10/15/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RSS Announcer instantly and automatically submits your RSS feeds

11/01/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"No Charge Online Advertising Channels For Any Business"

11/03/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great blog for lose belly fat. I am going to have to bookmark this blog for when I want to learn more about lose belly fat.

I think anyone interested in lose belly fat would find my site interesting and entertaining. Stop by when you have time.

11/06/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

display your RSS feeds on their web sites for content.

11/07/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will be amazed at the simplicity of this diet! This diet helps keep the weight off!

11/11/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool united airline affiliate related blog. Looking forward to watching things grow.

I have a united airline affiliate related site. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## and other related stuff.

Also have another cool site called HotLinZ

Drop by if you get time :-)

11/12/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.getipodsforfree.com has this cool thing where if you just sign up and do an offer, you can get a free ipod

11/17/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ultimate internet marketing website is www.TheOnlinePromoters.com

12/26/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks

1/07/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks

1/09/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good information

1/09/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good info

1/09/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can i get more info?

1/10/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christmas is just around the corner. No time to go to the mall...then do your shopping online. We sell everything that the mall sells. Shop today!

1/14/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must tell I liked your blog very much. By the way, there is a nice site where you can rate photos of singles in your area and find top vancouver adult personals, take a look if you're interested.

1/18/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking for useful articles about love, marriage, romance etc. and somehow I found your blog and I must say it�s really nice. I also visited Top Personals and I think is very interesting for singles looking for u adult personals. Take a look at http://top-personals.net.

1/19/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the better results I saw from my fasting experience was that I have more self control over my eating habits. I have always been a binge type of eater. After my fast, I felt like I could restrain myself easier. It is proberbly a mental attribute. I mean I can go without eating for 7 days then I sure can keep myself from eating something I shouldn't.
Link to this site. weight loss vitamin supplement

1/26/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dumb luck! Sometimes it takes another perspective, you know what I mean. I could not find one single site about Domain hosting hosting space web web and then my sweetheart tries and she finds the darn site I have been looking for in one search. When I've been looking for this stuff ALL DAY. Anyways, relief is on the way. If you like stuff about this topic, then you will absolutely love this site I uncovered. Enjoy!Domain hosting hosting space web web

2/05/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great opportunity. Just push a button 4 times per day and make $1,000's per month within one year.

2/06/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for teen love advice sites such as http://single-dating-service.org and I found this blog. It's really interesting.

10/08/2006

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home