Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Now c'mon, you know "Outfoxed" was was entertaining

The Daily Texan only gives "Outfoxed" 3 out of 5 stars, I guess taking a deserved star away for the preaching to the choir element.

And shouldn't Greenwald be aiming for people who actually watch Fox News because they've caught the "liberal media" meme? If you want to change their minds, you have to demonstrate that Fox's partisanship and message control are especially egregious.

I do agree that the more crap we can pin on them, the better. But the point of the movie was to show what movies can do way better than books, which is really bring your attention to the techniques that Fox News uses by justing showing them to you.

Anyway, the preaching to the choir syndrome is inevitable. People who really like Fox aren't going to watch this movie and the few who do won't believe it. But that doesn't mean that exposes like this don't have a use. They are perfect for persuading the huge numbers of people that aren't solidly "red" or "blue".

I like to mess around and tease people who fit the stereotypes of "red" and "blue" America a lot, I know. Hey, there's not doubt that these elements exist. But we can't let that lull us into taking that the nation is "polarized" as an act of faith. There are way more fence-sitters than are commonly accounted for and boosting the popularity of a film like this is only going to help pull them over to our side.

Anyway, Robert Greenwald screwed with my childhood by directing Xanadu. He deserves your money.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amanda Marcotte said...

I have a scary story about seeing Mister Sinus do Xanadu at the Alamo that I am almost afraid to repeat here. Suffice it to say, it involves me being sober, having to sing, and Gay Pride Day.

9/08/2004

 
Blogger Earnest said...

I don't think Greenwald deserves any money, especially after "Unprecedented," a movie that made me more angry than any other movie. I wouldn't have cared so much about its one-sidedness if the movie hadn't included Jake Tapper, whose earlier book on the 2000 election is, in my mind, the definitive volume on what happened down in Florida. Jake Tapper is much more even-handed than the movie, which leads me to wonder just how much of Tapper was left on the cutting room floor so that Greenwald could make the point he wanted to make.

9/08/2004

 
Blogger Amanda Marcotte said...

But Xanadu is the salve for everything. It's the movie that should make him the Teflon director.

9/08/2004

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Great post, I enjoyed reading it.

Adding you to favorites, Ill have to come back and read it again later.

11/03/2005

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home