Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Thursday, October 14, 2004

Loretta Lynn

Since I finally managed to convince my boyfriend to listen to Loretta Lynn's new album even though he had entirely reasonable fears that the presence of Jack White would just make the entire thing incredibly stupid, tonight's post is about Loretta Lynn.

A lot of musicians have interesting and relevant biographies, but very few have managed to see that turned into movies that even came close to capturing that. (Worst musician biopic ever? Probably Great Balls of Fire--Jerry Lee Lewis is a little crazy, but he's not retarded, Dennis.) Loretta Lynn might have just been one of a number of country singers who are beloved to country fans but not really a legend to the more mainstream of America, but she lucked out and actually had a really marvelous movie made about her life with a really marvelous actress to play her. Lynn is now a feminist hero, a title she completely deserves though possibly not more than other country stars like her. Regardless, she's one of those few artists out there who is a hands down inspiration.

Listening to Lynn's new album, a discussion erupted about what drives people to want to be musicians. Someone like Jack White is a bit suspect to people--while he clearly enjoys writing and playing, it's tough to figure if it's more important to him than being the spokesman for hip in the mainstream. He got a lot of credibility in my eyes for pairing up with Lynn for this album, and I hope that being near someone who clearly lives and breathes music for its own sake can inspire him some. He has talent, but his stuff seems derivative and dull to me. Maybe a little Southern sassy is just what he needs.

Lately, I listen to Loretta Lynn more that any other country artist in my collection. It's hard to pin on why one artist or another speaks to you at certain points in your life, though some are easier to figure than others. (Patsy Cline was my best friend last time my heart was broken. She makes broken hearts seem downright noble.) I choose to flatter myself and believe that Lynn has a certain commonsensical grace that I'm finally reaching myself at this point in my life--a combination of good humor with a dose of heart--it's probably the best way to approach life. Best of all, hers is the music to listen to when you find yourself sinking into the habit of apologizing for everything. Lynn will remind you that there's nothing wrong with a woman being herself with apologies to no one.

On top of the immediate appeal of her new album due to the collaboration and production on it, I've found it to be one of the best country albums on the ever-popular subject of romantic love I've ever heard. Lynn's husband has recently died, and she memorializes him in a number of songs on the album. But instead of just sentimentalizing the relationship, she unflinchingly addresses the slights, bad times, and anger that is probably inevitable in any relationship. Her honesty is actually inspiring to me--it doesn't have to be perfect or have ultimate meaning. We love people because that's what people do, and the most damaging thing you can do to a love relationship is expect it to be more than it is.

2 Comments:

Blogger delagar said...

Great post.

I just want to add that Lynn's new album rocks!

10/15/2004

 
Blogger Earnest said...

I love the new Loretta Lynn album. My girlfriend has a CD of old-school country songs, filled with Loretta Lynn, Pastsy Cline, and some of the great old-school guys, too, that she loves to listen to on road trips. I have to admit that I like it myself. My favorite is a song called "Fist City".

10/15/2004

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home