Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

What Kind of Feminist Are You?

New blogroll member Utopian Hell is starting a new meme that I like and wish to spread--What Kind of Feminist Are You? I immediately thought, "a smart-assed feminist" but then decided that I was probably giving myself way too much credit. And anyway, Astarte has a great list of questions.

1. Most of us go by pseudonyms on the internet to avoid rabid ex-lovers, identity thieves, and dirtbags that have nothing better to do. These names have special meaning to each person and often tell a bit about that person. If you use a pseudonym, list it and explain why you chose that particular name. If you don't, well, just tell us your name.

My blog is called Mouse Words, but I use my real name, which is Amanda Marcotte. I don't necessarily post it every day, but I'm not anonymous by any means. I don't have any rabid ex-lovers, so I guess it's all good. Mouse Words comes from the fact that my family calls me the Mouse. Make of that what you will.

2. Are you single?

No. I am not married either. I have a boyfriend with whom I share two cats, a bed and a mortgage.

3. If yes, do you believe in marriage as an institution?

Well, I know people who are married, so if I didn't believe in it, I'd be lying to myself like I was a creationist or something. Kidding. I don't have anything against marriage and may go there myself some day. I do think that marriage needs to be rethought completely. It should be legal for homosexual couples. It should be as easy to get out of as to get into. It should not involve female subjugation on any level. And people need to get with the program and realize that the wedding industry is a money-wasting nightmare. A young couple starting out should take that money and buy a house.

4. Do you have any children?

No and we're not having children. We have cats, though.

5. Was your mother a feminist?

Trick question, albeit not on purpose. My mother would not likely describe herself as a feminist, but as I've said before, a lot of feminists are afraid of the word. Does my mother believe in women and women's equality? Undoubtably. Did she raise us to believe that womanhood was no impediment to being smart or talented? Yes, she did. Like all of us, she had to make her decisions in the world she was born into. I hope one day that women do not have to compromise themselves just to survive in a world made by men for men.

6. Reach back into your brain and remember what made you a feminist in the first place. Tell us the story, and let us know if those things still weigh heavily in your decision to continue being a feminist.

I don't remember deciding to be a feminist or not to be. Being a literal-minded girl, I realized that if "feminist" meant believing in women's equality, then I was a feminist. Not to say that it wasn't hard, but I was never one to play linguistic games and say that I'm not a feminist because that's what some people want to hear.

But going from being someone who just called herself a feminist to someone who spends a lot time reading and thinking about feminism came around because I was intellectual and nerdy, and any woman like that finds herself being talked down to repeatedly without just cause. Have enough men who aren't as smart as you talk down to you and spend enough time reading about really smart women who were marginalized because of their sex and you will be forced to start making decisions. Either you will see sexism for what it is and adopt a feminist viewpoint, or you will be one of those sad women who try to get honorary man status by putting down other women. (See: pretty much all anti-feminist women who don't get that it's a contradiction to work outside of the home telling other women to go back to the home.) Get told by guys who get worse grades in math class than you that women aren't as good at math or be told that women can't write, play music, paint, etc. when you have books and c.d.'s out the kazoo showing otherwise and you'd turn explicitly feminist quickly, too.

I began to really get interested in feminist theory when I picked up The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir (yet another woman who got eclipsed because she was surrounded by men who were her equals in talent but more famous because they had some dangly bits). It's thick but pretty easy to read once you get into it, and a perfect introduction to feminism.

7. What would you call your "personal style"? Do you like makeup/hate makeup? Jeans and t-shirts or flares and babydolls? Do you own any high heels? Give us an indication of the types of things you like to wear and the image that you portray that makes you the most comfortable.

I wear make-up occasionally when I go out, but not usually as I am lazy and it gives me zits if I wear it too much. For the circles I run in, I'm pretty femme-y. I wear alot of skirts when I go out, but mostly because they look cool with T-shirts and they are cool in hot weather. I am fond of looking sorta juvenile deliquent-y, circa 1950's, with the dark jeans and saddle shoes or sneakers. I do not wear padded bras or anything else that obscures the shape of my body, as I think that's kind of lying. Generally, I eschew anything too elaborate. The general rule of thumb is wear simple, classic clothes and you will never cringe at old pictures. I usually wear bold colors, though--red, purple, things like that. I also have a few shirts with stuff written on them as long as it's a band I really like or just plain weird and not overly elaborate. My favorite T-shirt is probably my X-Ray Spex shirt. My favorite jeans are Levis 501's.

But since I have a strange girly side, I love high heeled shoes and have like 30 pairs. My favorites were my leopard prints, but they recently died.

8. Are you a crazy cat lady?

God, I wish I could say no. The cats are in the next room thinking, "Not enough, she's not." My boyfriend is a way crazier cat person than me, I think.

9. What do you think of men in this crazy world? Are they the problem or the solution? Are they all guilty by association, or is it a social ill that we all have to face?

They can live.

Okay, I'll actually answer the question. As is obvious except to those who think liking men means being sniveling and servile should have guessed, I like men a lot. My close friends are probably even between men and women, but I spend most of my social time with a buncha dudes. I think blaming men is a pointless exercise, since they were born into the same world we were, and anyway they should be judged as individuals just as surely as anyone else.

That being said, I am not going to pretend that sexism is a force of nature that just happens to single out women. Those who are guilty of perpetuating the sexist status quo are mostly men and a few women who are trying to curry their favor, and the beneficiaries of sexism are generally men. Sexism cannot be defeated without disturbing male privilege, which is going to upset men who have come to expect it. Too bad. Men who scream and cry about having their privileges taken away from them are doing the same thing as white people who scream and cry about giving up white privilege or straight people who don't want gays to marry because they think marriage is a secret special club just for them. Grow up and get over it, I say.

But there's no reason not to treat men like potential allies. They shouldn't get special attention or special favors for embracing feminism, of course, since that's just perpetuating male privilege. But I don't see why we shouldn't make some effort to bring them into the fold.

10. Who do you think is more dangerous to feminism: Women who portray feminism as dirty and unfeminine, or men who wish to control their wives through monetary and other means? Or do you have another theory all together?

Make no mistake, anti-feminist men are the biggest problem feminism faces. In our efforts to seem non-sexist, we have accepted the idea that since some women are part of the oppression that men and women are equal oppressors. The sexist establishment has taken advantage of this urge by using women as their figureheads. But behind the figureheads is an elaborate, mostly-male power structure dedicated to keeping men in power over women in the public and private arenas.

I understand the urge to frame the problem of sexism without confronting the issue of men's role in it so as to avoid being called a "man-hater". But the truth is, that slur is handed out to any feminist who crosses paths with someone working to secure male privilege, no matter how scrupulously she tries to avoid blaming any men at all for the problem. Some men have grown up and dropped the desire to control, but not most. If all men could give up that desire tomorrow, then the few women who help build up the sexist establishment wouldn't have a reason to anymore.

Uncle Tom-ing behavior is annoying and people who participate in it should be held responsible for sure. But if there wasn't a power establishment to cozy up to, there wouldn't be any reason for the behavior to exist.

11. What is your political affiliation?

I vote for the Democrats. I have repeatedly voted against that fucker the Shrub, but he keeps winning. I am far more liberal than the Democratic establishment, but I'm practical enough to know that you can't hold out for perfect candidates.

12. What is the last book that you read?

I'm about to finish The Republican Noise Machine by David Brock.

30 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I really like this one. I have a website that talks mostly about business opportunity money making index You should check it out sometime.

10/14/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I really like this one. I have a website that talks mostly about internet make money via You should check it out sometime.

10/14/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just bookmarked your blog. I will try to post often.

Do you think gas pricing is ever going to go down? I founds some gas saving tips at sports recreation


Keep in touch :)

10/15/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog contained issues relating to wedding bouquet which I found quite absorbing. I would argue that wedding bouquet matters are best left to the professionals in most cases.

10/18/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it pretty much covers **t-shirt** related stuff.

10/20/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello.. you have a very informative blog.

I shall visit again.

Warmest Regards.. :-)

Find gold wedding bands.

10/25/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Blog for golf holidays

10/27/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a huge fan so youmight like akc papers

11/03/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GROW IT YOURSELF!

11/05/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a refinance mortgage loan site/blog. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you have time :-)

11/07/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

does this work

12/31/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey great site.
I was seaching the web and came across yours.

Regards,
Gerald E.
http://www.dating-information-online.com/
internet dating agency

1/01/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

does this work

1/02/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

test

1/04/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

national foundation for credit counseling is iets ik zou letten op horend geen meer over.With Respect, Angel national foundation for credit counseling

1/06/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shop online today. Forget driving to the mall when you can just click the mouse and order from your favorite store. No traffic to deal with

1/07/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Online debt consolidation information is availiable through many internet sources that specialize in assisting many American households in managing or eliminating their outstanding debt.
If your site is of similar interest contact me and link sites.
Debt Resources Services.

1/12/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you struggle with bad credit, credit card debt, or are facing bankruptcy, our bankruptcy/dect counselling resources can help you understand your finances better and help you improve your financial standing. If your site is of simmilar interest contact me and link sites.
Debt Resources Services.

1/13/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! Have you seen any ads or information on mortgage uk? One day I will find what I am looking for on the first try. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for mortgage uk. Thanks for the post.

1/20/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christmas is just around the corner. No time to go to the mall...then do your shopping online. We sell everything that the mall sells. Shop today!

1/21/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

chihuahua training obedienceidea for your dog. If you're like most pet owners you don't want your dog peeing or pooping in your home. Sending you this linkhttp://chihuahua444.com about chihuahua training obedience for anyone that is having problems with their dogs. This is a simple idea that most people can use for their Doberman Pinchers. I don't want to get into a lot of detail about this simple idea for training your dog. Visit the web site if your tired of your dogs not listening to you.

Share the good links to great sites Please

1/25/2006

 
Blogger Dale's Gmail said...

Hello! Have you seen any ads or information on mortgage company? One day I will find what I am looking for on the first try. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for mortgage company. Thanks for the post.

1/30/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I get this anti-skip portable CD player so I can take it with me on my walks. Sheesh. Anti-skip my butt. This thing could not stand the harshest power walking that I gave it. So I switch to the radio tuner and started listening to the DJ rant about Best mortgage deals uk and how it's all disturbing him and his listeners. Gimme a break.
Best mortgage deals uk

2/05/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was having this truly great massage the other day and the masseuse had me really relaxed and then start talking about Virgin mortgage uk and I'm like, sheesh, can you just keep doing what you're doing before you pull me out of this relaxed state. I'm sure I'll have to do a special request for that masseuse to not massage my body again. I wanna relax all the way through a massage, without interruption.
Virgin mortgage uk

2/05/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was actually intrigued by this one research project I had to do today. It was about Uk mortgage and, truly, I really did not think I would find a shred of information about it. Good thing for patience. Why? Because the site I found nearly popped out of nowhere and hit me in the eye. Hey, I think I may have even found this great site about when I clicked on a popup, too. Sometimes those popups can be quite useful, though many people dislike them. Do not go searching for without trying your patience at least a little bit.
Uk mortgage

2/06/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An essential to your dog's health is his/her regular annual checkup with the vet, The vaccinations which are given to your dog each year ensure your dog's immunity to some common infectious diseases.
Link to this site: pet portrait painter
http://pet-faq.info/

2/06/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not think I can take it anymore. I've got to tell the whole entire world. Well, at least this blog. What about? Well, about this awesome site I found about Let to buy mortgage uk. I check this one site out that presented information in the form of other sites that I would not have found otherwise through conventional search engines. So if you want more on this stuff about what is being discussed here, follow that link. You will NOT regret it.
Let to buy mortgage uk

2/07/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

2/07/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Data recovery is big business in todays way of life, DON'T BE CAUGHT OUT.
Link to my site: data forensic recovery software

2/08/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda,

I took a look at your post
regarding easy make money offline ways .

You are invited to place a link to
your blog on our website for free. See:

http://www.thefreeadforum.com


We get over 18,000 visitors per day.
Many are looking for easy make money offline ways
related products and services.

We have a specific category for easy make money offline ways .
Your listing will be spidered by the search
engines under easy make money offline ways . Our pages
are made to be search engine friendly.
We hope you take a moment to take
advantage of this free advertising.

Cheers,

John

http://www.thefreeadforum.com
The Free Advertising Forum.

12/08/2006

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home