Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Friday, October 08, 2004

Abortion debate might have just taken a huge leap

Echidne's comments on the debate opened up a train of thought that started during the debates for me.

On the positive side, Kerry did come out for some issues that are important to women and he handled the difficult questions fairly well. Compare the discussions of the so-called partial birth abortion by Kerry and Bush. Kerry used the example of a teenager raped by her father to show how difficult it is to make laws that are based on all-or-nothing thinking (in this case about parental notification of a minor's abortion). Bush simply repeated that one is either for the partial birth abortion ban or against it. This shows a lack of understanding about human pain. I don't want a president who can't relate to the anguish of a teenager having to ask the rapist for a permission to get an abortion.

I imagine this won't amount to much, but you never know. When Bush blatantly ignored Kerry's challenge to deal with incest victims and women whose lives are put in peril by pregnancies they are forbidden to terminate, even the cats gasped. It's really beyond the pale in this country's discourse to dismiss the concerns of rape victims and dying women, though I suppose it's understandable coming from a man who will dismiss the hopes of everyone suffering from Parkinson's, diabetes, paralysis and Alzheimer's in order to score political points. But the connection between a few stem cells and cures for diseases most of us thought would never be cured takes a leap of imagination. It doesn't take much of one for most of us to see our own selves as needing some access to abortion in case of emergency.

The ugly truth is that the only reason that the right has managed to get so many people either backing abortion bans or at bare minimum indifferent to them is that they have spread the notion that abortion is something that Other People do--sluts, welfare mothers, snooty over-educated skinny white bitches who need to drop out of college or their journalism careers and be doting mothers like god and man intended. "I just don't think it should be birth control" is the battle cry of most anti-choicers you will hear, conjuring up pictures of world-weary black women hauling three children to the clinic while getting their fourth abortions because welfare won't pay for another child. Or pictures of spoiled rich girls who need to learn a lesson scheduling their abortions between a trip to the masseuse and a manicure. The rest of us, you see, are hard-working people who plan ahead and don't slut around and use contraception.

But Bush was speaking the language of the scary right-wingers, the ones who aren't just against abortion but against your right to terminate a pregnancy. I know, to us there's no difference. But to huge amounts of anti-choice voters, there is. Terminating a pregnancy isn't abortion, which is "convienence". Terminating a pregnancy is a difficult decision that you make because you have to, not because you want to.

Bush was talking in the language of the hard right, but sadly I think he was still functioning under the same belief that abortions are what Other People have paradigm. To someone of his privilege, everyone is pretty much Other People. Women of his class never have "abortions". They have every euphemism in the book, but never "abortions". There's no reason to have abortions in the case of rape, incest, or to save a woman's life, because those are never, ever called abortions where he comes from.

The rest of us don't have that privilege. Oh sure, we use euphemism, too. I have personally heard plenty of politically anti-choice people start talking about "getting rid of it" when a girl became most unfortunately pregnant. But we know that no matter what we call it, it goes on the insurance bill as an abortion. And so to speak of banning abortions even in the cases of rape, incest or the mother's health, well, people are bound to start looking around their living rooms. Other People might use abortion as birth control, but for the rest of us, well, it's possible to see that abortion might save Mom's life. And while few of us could really say that incest is an issue, we can easily see ourselves supporting a young girl in our community who needed to escape that situation.

I'm not saying that Bush and Kerry's statements tonight will cause anyone to change their overall opinions on abortion itself. But I think Bush shot himself in the foot by pandering to a small, zealous minority that holds the belief that all female sexuality is worthy of punishment and not just some, which is what most people believe. Women particularly who watched this debate are likely to walk away with a sick feeling in their stomachs. I will say here what I've told friends who have female friends or relatives who are fence-sitting--Bush has made it clear that he will take away your right to an abortion, even in the case of rape, illness or even death. That shouldn't be hanging over your head every time you leave the house, make love to a man, or even deliberately get pregnant only to find out that a sickness is causing you to choose between terminating the pregnancy or losing your life.

47 Comments:

Blogger Mithras said...

I think Bush shot himself in the foot by pandering to a small, zealous minority that holds the belief that all female sexuality is worthy of punishment and not just some, which is what most people believe.I hope you're right. I fear that Kerry's answer will hurt him. Most people, at least, most of the so-called undecided voters - including the female ones - don't want to hear about incest. I fear they will hear "teenager raped by her father" and just shut down and say, I don't want to think about such an ugly thing. And then resent Kerry for mentioning it.

10/09/2004

 
Blogger Ono said...

From surfing conservative Catholic blogs, it seems Bush hit the right notes on the abortion thing. But I think there are thousands of Catholics who want to vote for Kerry and just need to hear from him on the issue and I think he did great. He made it clear that "It is not that simple." As opposed to the general electorate, Catholics may just be a group that can live with nuances. I think he spoke commonsense and reached moderates out there.

The other thing was that Bush called ESCR destruction of life yet was proud to be the first president to fund it. That is a major waffle and Kerry called him on it.

The concern I have is the post debate spin. Conservative and anti-abortion Catholics are spining furiously as though Bush did not undercut himself on the ESCR issue and that he hit a home run on the abortion issue. The issue is how effective that spin will be. Kerry did not help himself with single issue abortion voters, but he definitely helped himself with moderate Catholics who temper faith with common sense.

10/09/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would bet that half of the population is aware of someone in their community who has been the victim of or has committed incest, or who has been the victim of or has committed child molestation. This includes ordinary middle class populations of gainfully employed churchgoers. Because of this, the anti-abortionists continually claim that girls and women can't get pregnant as a result of rape.

NancyP

10/09/2004

 
Blogger Amanda Marcotte said...

You'll never get through to those who have so little regard for the lives of women and girls that things like rape or death are lesser issues than preserving constant uterine production. But the fence-sitters want exceptions--they want to know that "good" girls will have access to abortion.

10/09/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just added your blog to my book marks and will be checking back often

I have a business home own start work site. It's a membership site about business home own start work related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

10/17/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Stop by public health

10/24/2005

 
Blogger Danny White said...

I found a free home based computer business opportunity resource blog/site that really helped me
get a handle on home based computer business opportunity.

I thought your posters might find this home based computer business opportunity resource useful.

home based computer business opportunity

Check it out if you get time:-)

10/25/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have You Ever Seen at home job opportunity

11/11/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great! … Keep-up the good work!
Something of interest to all:
business opportunity home based work from

11/12/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Need traffic? get thousands of visitors, I got it, you need it classified advertising

11/15/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your blog! I plan to bookmark it for future posts. back pain medicine

11/16/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi all, to answer your question: Yes, there is info talking about japan mlm and it is worth reading. Great videos explaining everything about japan mlm and most important, the money you will make. See you soon. Robert

11/16/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if u want an ipod, you can go to www.getipodsforfree.com and do an offer. follow the instructions and they'll actually send you a freeipod, no joke, there's reviews all over the internet

11/17/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ##NAME##. Cool ideas. Kind of busy now, buy have a nice day. If you have time visit my site about ##LINK##. I think you'll find something useful.

12/08/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there. Kinda busy, but looking for information on forex trade. Nice blog, good info. Maybe visit my site if you're looking for forex trade related material forex trade. Thanks

12/12/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there. Kinda busy, but looking for information on day trading. Nice blog, good info. Maybe visit my site if you're looking for day trading related material day trading. Thanks

12/12/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Search engine optimization, submission and highly-targeted traffic can be found exclusively at www.TheOnlinePromoters.com

12/15/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where i get more info?

12/21/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where i get more info?

12/21/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ich mag, was Sie mit Ihrem Aufstellungsort getan haben, und kann nicht warten, um zu sehen, was sonst oben kommt.With Respect, Patrick auto accident attorneys brewton

1/06/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mi domando le che informazioni del cash advance las vegas devo conoscere?Compliments, Marcia cash advance las vegas

1/08/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice blog, I really like what you have done here and look forward to future updates. I have a website you might like

weight loss drug

1/08/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow !!, this is inspiring, your article expresses my point of view, I simply could not put it in the words you had. I invite you to add your Banner on this Banner Exchange Network, you will be surprised the high quality of traffic I am able to achieve. You can do so much here ...http://ourbannerexchange.com, free traffic exchange, free traffic exchange

1/09/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to say this, but I was looking for car loan portland oregon links, but your site came up. Oh well. Worth the read. Gotta run.

1/11/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bloggs are such a wonderful way to plublish ones thoughts. Thanks for letting me visit and leave a comment. Love the theme of your blog Come by my site some time. It's got getting a bigger dick related stuff.

1/11/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a similar site related to offering penis enlargement Come by some time.
I definitely like your site, bookmarked! This post is good stuff.

1/13/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting blog you have here, I landed here on accident. I like the blog. I was searching for something else and came across your site. I found it pretty interesting and entertaining. I got you book marked.

I will pop back in from time to time to see what you have new here. Feel free to check mine out also penis enlargement site

1/13/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you sure got a super blog here. Very interesting stuff. I've already put a book mark on it.

Pity I spend so much time blog-surfing that I often neglect my own. Silly me. :) But its so adictive.

Anyway, a lot of people are trying to make cash online nowadays, so I thought I'd help you out with a site that has some great tools.

other penis enlargement
Not bad to sit around doing nothing while your bank balance keeps growing. :)

1/13/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a excellent blog. Keep it going. When searching for natural penis enlargement, I happened to come across your site. I'll bookmark it. Perhaps you would be interested in my site, natural penis enlargement

1/13/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was reading a paper from a university about this subject. Nice article. You know what you are talking about. Along the lines of this theme, I have a similar site penis enlargement excersises where more information can be found on the subject. Thanks for the bit of information you posted here.

1/13/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting blog you have here, I landed here on accident. I like the blog. I was searching for something else and came across your site. I found it pretty interesting and entertaining. I got you book marked.

I will pop back in from time to time to see what you have new here. Feel free to check mine out also com penis enlargement

1/13/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a similar site connected to penis enlargement service Come by some time.
I with out a doubt like your site, will book mark it! This post is fine stuff.

1/14/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a similar site related to surgery penis enlargement Come by some time.
I definitely like your site, bookmarked! This post is good stuff.

1/14/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shop at your favorite stores 24 hours a day. Why go to the mall when you can shop online and avoid the traffic

1/17/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking for useful articles about love, marriage, romance etc. and somehow I found your blog and I must say it�s really nice. I also visited Top Personals and I think is very interesting for singles looking for teen dating personals. Take a look at http://top-personals.net.

1/19/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

�Tiene todos puesta de acuerdo con best college loan consolidation excepto m�?Sincerely, Georgina best college loan consolidation

1/20/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting blog. I can see that you've done a lot of work on it.

Regards,
Stock Options Trader
credit spread

1/24/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its something how there is all this personal water craft loans stuff available.Compliments, Cathy personal water craft loans

1/27/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

2/05/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great opportunity. Just push a button 4 times per day and make $1,000's per month within one year.

2/06/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How your habits control your small business sucess.
Link to this site: small business internet marketing promotion
http://small-businesses.info/

2/10/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi o)

I (webmaster) am interested in learning more about [the way you
put your web site together] and would appreciate it if you could send me
some details please...

extra make money

3/01/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a great opportunity, no selling, no phoning, no recruiting PERIOD!

3/07/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!I couldn�t find a better source of info when I went to my local library.. This blog really is the best!! Thanks,make money fast

3/13/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're really not musically inclined, you can buy the Sensation safe in sexcam the knowledge that it'll last for a good while now.
You know, the iPhone 4 is mercifully visible in full sunlight, and performance in low light, but it's tasteful and it actually really works here.

my web-site: cam sex

3/28/2013

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For instance, sexcam gaming on the phone,
you're unable to use the phone for $179. Given the CLIQ's
already heavy drain, that's a marked improvement over the iPhone 4 S eventually fell behind.

My webpage :: sex cam

3/29/2013

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy tramadol cod online tramadol hcl 225 mg - buy tramadol from us

4/01/2013

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home