Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Sunday, November 14, 2004

Survival tips from a red state liberal

I liked this article, but I think I can build on her ideas. Why? Because I'm a Texan and Texas liberals like me have been devising ways to avoid going batshit crazy for a long, long time now. So, here's how my friends and I avoid going crazy in the most famous of Red States.

1) Be batshit crazy to begin with. Okay, this is cheating but absolutely necessary. The whole "Keep Austin Weird" thing is a political movement. When people get in your face about your liberal politics, shrug it off as an eccentricity, like having a fetish for Chuck Taylors or being a Ween fan.

2) Drink. Well, duh. This is the oldest and grandest tradition of Texas liberalism. Wine and hard liquor are out of the question. Bonding with your fellow liberals is easier to do over beers. Also, it's hard to call someone a cheese-eating, wine-sniffing elitist who has a beer in one hand and a tortilla chip loaded with queso in the other. And since everyone is fixing to enjoy the economic prosperity that has characterized the South for so very long, you may need to learn to enjoy cheap beer. There are two favored ways to drink cheaply.

--Mexican beer. There are many okay-priced ones like Corona, but your best bet is Tecate, which can be enjoyed with actual limes and salt but is even better with packets of Twang. If you wish to up your eccentricity quotient, an easy method is to adopt the habit of pouring the Twang directly into your mouth before drinking the beer instead of pouring it into your beer.

--Cheap Texas beers. Texas is world famous for its cheap beers, or at least should be. You have Pabst and Pearl, of course, but the hands down best is Lone Star. Of course, if you're in the Austin area and you have a taste for something that isn't pure piss, Shiner Bock is pretty inexpensive most everywhere you'll go. But that's cheating. If none of these beers is available locally, I'm sorry. Investigate what your local not-bad cheap piss beers are.

3) Give the holy rollers hell. This can be a lot of fun. Throw eggs at anti-abortion protesters. Call up the "crisis pregnancy" clinics, tell them you're a 15 year old crack addict who is pregnant and waste their time trying to talk you out of an abortion. Wear a T-shirt decorated with a "666". There's a good reason that Texas rock and roll types love to decorate any and everything in hellfire--it makes the fundies sweat. Go out on Saturday night and crack jokes about how you're never gonna make it to church in the morning. Make fun of them in music.

4) Start watching Formula 1. And for bonus points, watch MotoGP as well. You don't just vote like the rest of the world does, but you can enjoy some of their favorite sports as well, instead of huddling close to home and watching the vastly inferior NASCAR. A bunch of my friends are huge racing fans, so we get together to watch the races on TIVO many a Sunday. It's a great time to work out the urge to eat stinky cheese, wear classy Ferrari-red clothes, and drink wine. It's like blowing off shitty American football to follow soccer, but more money.

5) Don't relinquish the good symbols. Try as they may, the conservatives of Texas cannot lay claim to the cowboy hat in the name of Bush. This is in no small part because the goofy Texas left has a grand tradition of taking pictures of ourselves partying or doing other fucked up things in cowboy hats. For instance, I have a picture right here of me flashing Dio-style devils horns while wearing my cowboy hat that was taken just last weekend. We also lay claim to equal rights to cowboy boots and pick-up trucks as our right-wing brethern. They can have back pocket-less Rocky Mountains, though. If we can hang onto these things despite the endless attempts by the Karl Roves of the world to lay claim to them for their candidates, then surely Mom and apple pie will be simple to hang onto.

25 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Shiner Bock is cheating, just call me a cheater. I'm a confirmed liberal, but there are limits. Pabst?!!!

11/15/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you would just take your time to know your way around, you could discover a lot of premium products and services being offered for free.

10/01/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldnt everyone USE FREE Advertising and Marketing Resources?

10/01/2005

 
Blogger circlejerker said...

If your looking for sites about gay sex guide, then click here!

10/03/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it pretty much covers **t-shirt** related stuff.

10/12/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi what a great blog,online mlm business. If you have time pay me a visit.

href="http://www.homebusinessandvacations.com">online mlm business

11/13/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if u want an ipod, you can go to www.getipodsforfree.com and do an offer. follow the instructions and they'll actually send you a freeipod, no joke, there's reviews all over the internet

11/17/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You still have time to shop on the internet for shipping before christmas

12/14/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember when a simple search for cheap computers would get me the right site. Tried cheap computers hoping to find semi-related sites. I like your blog, but I wasn't exactly loking for this info. Good stuff anyway.

1/16/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shop online today. Forget driving to the mall when you can just click the mouse and order from your favorite store. No traffic to deal with

1/17/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there...nice blog. When I was out blog surfing looking for detailed info on spin spa I found your page. Your site is not an exact match but it did catch my interest. Should you ever need information on spin spa then drop by the site above and check it out.

1/18/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christmas is just around the corner. No time to go to the mall...then do your shopping online. We sell everything that the mall sells. Shop today!

1/19/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking for useful articles about love, marriage, romance etc. and somehow I found your blog and I must say it�s really nice. I also visited Top Personals and I think is very interesting for singles looking for texas adult personals. Take a look at http://top-personals.net.

1/19/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came accross the term "free recipes and low carb and dessert" the other day and I did not know what it was. When I search for it I found your site. Thought you might find that interesting :)

1/19/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came accross the term "low-carb holiday desserts to share" the other day and I did not know what it was. When I search for it I found your site. Thought you might find that interesting :)

1/19/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to look at artistic photos of people, especially at their smiling faces. If you have some free time go to http://top-personals.net for teen dating personals and rate pictures of singles from your neighborhood.

1/22/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this blog because I�ve been seeking for tips and articles related to texas swinger personals. By the way, there�s a nice site related to texas swinger personals and online personals.

1/22/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, check out my site if you have a chance! Thanks!

1/26/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the better results I saw from my fasting experience was that I have more self control over my eating habits. I have always been a binge type of eater. After my fast, I felt like I could restrain myself easier. It is proberbly a mental attribute. I mean I can go without eating for 7 days then I sure can keep myself from eating something I shouldn't.
Link to this site. vegetarian weight loss diet plan

1/28/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the better results I saw from my fasting experience was that I have more self control over my eating habits. I have always been a binge type of eater. After my fast, I felt like I could restrain myself easier. It is proberbly a mental attribute. I mean I can go without eating for 7 days then I sure can keep myself from eating something I shouldn't.
Link to this site. vitamin b6 and weight loss

1/29/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fasting can make you look much thinner in only a couple of days. You may not lose a significant amount of weight, but it will look like you have. It can make your waist noticeable thinner and clean up blemishes or skin problems.
Link to this site. 2006 challenge loss weight

1/29/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how hard weight loss is and I want to share a few things with you I found along the way that helped me lose 70lbs in eleven months. I believe these weight loss tips can help you too, no matter what diet you choose to follow.
Link to thie site. weight loss using hypnosis

1/30/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not long ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diadetes and my doctor told me to lose weight or my life would be shortened by mant years. Being overweight most of my life I knew it was time to get serious.
Link to this site. vitamin health weight loss

1/31/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fasting can make you look much thinner in only a couple of days. You may not lose a significant amount of weight, but it will look like you have. It can make your waist noticeable thinner and clean up blemishes or skin problems.
Link to this site. teenage weight loss program

1/31/2006

 
Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

ray ban sunglasses
kate spade outlet
coach factory outlet
ray ban sunglasses
ralph lauren outlet
bengals jersey
pandora jewelry
nike huarache
coach outlet
chiefs jersey

11/09/2017

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home