Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Thursday, December 16, 2004

The joke isn't as funny when you explain it

I was reading an interview with Susan Bordo today, and the thing I found really compelling about her attitude was that she made it quite clear that she didn't view being a cultural critic as something undertaken outside of the culture, but from within it. She freely admits to her anxieties about her looks, her weight, etc. in order to demonstrate that one does not have to be a superhuman being in order to be critical indulge the desire to criticize society. I really related to that, because in a lot of ways, the things that bug me the most are naturally the things I find myself becoming weak when faced with.

I was disgusted and really disturbed the other day when I was moved by an ad for diamond rings. The ad was plotted around a man setting up an elaborate stunt to ask his wife to renew their vows, and sucker that I am, I choked up. Such an ad is geared directly at people like me who have chosen love over romance but miss romance just a little bit. Bastards. But the sad thing is that I was angry at myself for being a sucker and then even angrier with myself for being angry with myself. What's so wrong with that, anyway? Why should I abandon my harmless hopes and fantasies because some asshole wants to profit off them? But how can I label them harmless when they have been tainted by materialism? It's time to just let go, and there's a loss I feel there.

Of course, I'm neurotic as hell. Being a feminist, I feel like it's important to abandon my neurotic side and seem even-keeled and whatnot. But that's a line of bullshit. I worry about my looks, for instance. Too fat? Too thin? Do I look good enough? Do I look too good and have to worry about being harassed? Instead of fretting, I try to channel those feelings into a good bout of mockery at the expense of those who most expensively charge us to exaggerate our anxieties. But none of this means I don't fret over stupid shit.

So I related to the comment that she tries to write in a way that exposes that she, too, feels this way. After all, who knows better than the girl who has wasted far too much time wondering if that last bit of cellulite could be gotten rid of to speak of how a culture that emphasizes this is only out to waste our time? Well, probably lots of people. But it made me feel more sure of myself.

29 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the diamond ad too. I usually ignore them, but I'd seen the actress in other stuff which is why I paid attention to this one. I was also initially upset that I liked a diamond but I figured it was okay because I don't like the diamond, I like the romantic gesture. And after seeing the ad, I still felt no desire to get a diamond, but I would like to have my future partner suprise me with a vow renewal. Or maybe I'll surprise them.

There's nothing as annoying as realizing that you've been infected by the same gender roles and stereotypes that you've been fighting to change. For a while, I was conflicted over the my desire to lose weight. Did I want a six pack for me or because I've internalized the idea that I have to be skinny to be attractive? I realized it was both, but it's primarily for me. I think the key thing is to be aware of what you've internalized and to realize that it's some crazy ass shit that was foisted upon you by society and not the Absolute Truth.

12/16/2004

 
Blogger Frank said...

My reaction to such advertising is to, when I feel myself reacting, become angry with the advertiser. There are fairly well-known methods for invoking certain feelings, and advertisers quite often coldly and deliberately seek to use those methods to invoke those feelings, solely to sell their product. Whether that product is an SUV, a diamond ring, or toilet paper.

I feel that it isn't my fault for reacting with emotion, since such emotion is natural and very human. Rather, it is their fault for cynically manipulating those feelings. I'm not angry that I'm manipulable, everyone is, to one degree or another or in one way or another. I'm angry that I've been manipulated. And it probably goes without saying that I will strenuously avoid buying whatever product the manipulator is selling.

12/17/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just bookmarked your blog. I will try to post often.

Do you think gas pricing is ever going to go down? I founds some gas saving tips at mcdonalds coupon


Keep in touch :)

10/15/2005

 
Blogger QcynqSWG said...

Now this was the kind of wellbutrin weight loss people really hunger for! Hope you get a chance to see my wellbutrin weight loss

10/16/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the information. I have found another site at best weight loss program.

You may find it usful as well.

10/20/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about weight-loss and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site & blog about weight-loss

10/22/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Stop by jungle gym

10/23/2005

 
Blogger Webmaster said...

Read your blog on loose weight pill and thought you might want to review my site which includes information on loose weigh and inches. Thought you or your readers might be interested in the new applicator system. It's like liposuction in a wrap. Inexpensive too.

10/24/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think that could give you some Search Engine popularity, and traffic???

10/28/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have seen some really interesting comments on this blog about cabbage soup diet and I have gotten some great ideas for cabbage soup diet to place on my own blogs and websites about cabbage soup diet. Thanks.

10/29/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your bolg on antwerp diamonds
. When you have a sec check out my site on antwerp diamonds
.
antwerp diamonds

10/29/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got a lot of improvement with energy bill. You should try energy bill as well.

10/29/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site for people who like picture of fat people.

Click here to see about picture of fat people related stuff.

Thanks

picture of fat people

10/31/2005

 
Blogger Webmaster said...

Nice blog on free weight loss diet pill. I have a site on herbal weight loss you may wish to check out. Thanks.

11/01/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and lots more

11/02/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

endless number of these wonderful finds, what with the Internet being a vast network of constantly evolving ideas and all!

11/02/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drop on by and browse through a huge archive of good joke

This is one of the many jokes i found amongst the many joke categorys:
A man walks into his favorite bar and saw a bum panhandeling. The bum asked if the man could spare a dollar. The man replied "If I give you money are you going to use it to buy liquor?" The bum said he would not, so the man asked "If I give you money are you going to use it for gambling?" Again the bum said he would not, so the man asked "Would you come home with me so I can show my wife what happenes to someone who doesnt gamble or drink?"

11/03/2005

 
Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/04/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your 1800contacts coupon blog. I found this coupon forum that you might be interested in... **Coupon Forum**

11/04/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol sleep

11/04/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GROW IT YOURSELF!

11/05/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you know anyone interested in diabetes nutrition, have them stop by my site.

People who study diabetes nutrition tend to enjoy this program.

11/05/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The quickest way to lose weight. How to avoid the biggest dieting mistakes, you don't have to starve yourself !

11/06/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This IS The Easiest Money I've Ever Made!

And You Can Do It Too!

product marketing

11/07/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a advertising ppc site/blog. It pretty much covers advertising ppc related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

11/21/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is great, I always enjoy new ways to gather information. Keep up the great work. No better time than now to learn about Orange County real estate http://thehomemortgageguide.com Need Information on purchasing a home? Orange County real estate

2/18/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I read your blog, I know that blogging has a good future ahead. Thanks, MJ wholesale jewelry

2/21/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there:)

I am new here and I just want to say what a great you have. I have had the pleasure of visiting. I hope to find loads of useful snippets of information here from now on!

Regards,
home make money work at

2/23/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

Hi! I�m writing to ask you if I could duplicate the information/idea you published on your site, on to my website. I think it�s a fantastic idea! I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
make fast money online

2/28/2006

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home